Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of Airborne

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of Airborne

If I remember right, Don did everything himself when making the album. He even recorded it in his own studio. It could be just me but a $300,000 budget sounds like a lot of money by 1982-83 standards, especially when you consider he did not hire anyone and did not have to pay anyone.

Delilah - Good point about accepting the invitation to tour when Don. I also think it would have helped his name recognition. However, would he have wanted to take orders from Don H. ? Something tells me no. Don could be difficult to get along with an a tour may have strained their relationship.

D, I have to agree with you about Felder and Henley. At the end of the day he experienced first hand what Walsh and others have said about how hard it is to be a solo artist. You have to do everything yourself. Fast forward to the present and it seems clear Felder has alot to be thankful for including learning from the mistakes he made. I do believe Felder valued the friendships, support, opportunities and challenges of being an Eagle but like he said ... it wasn't just Glenn. They'd all been ready to run from the "machine".

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    If I remember right, Don did everything himself when making the album. He even recorded it in his own studio. It could be just me but a $300,000 budget sounds like a lot of money by 1982-83 standards, especially when you consider he did not hire anyone and did not have to pay anyone.

Delilah - Good point about accepting the invitation to tour when Don. I also think it would have helped his name recognition. However, would he have wanted to take orders from Don H. ? Something tells me no. Don could be difficult to get along with an a tour may have strained their relationship .
    You make a good point. Now I'm thinking it could have gone either way but the potential boost in name recognition can not be ignored.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

I dig Airborne.

For me, I don't listen to Road To Forever that often. I also don't listen to JW's Analog Man very often.

Airborne was a cool post-Eagles record when Felder was in a different place than he is now.

Heavy Metal is a cool, cool song. Great guitar in it and probably the song Felder's voice fits best. I also like "Bad Girls".
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thank you all for this great information! Especially those links! I will be using quite a bit of this for my video. I KNEW I could count on you all!!!
    "City streets don't have much pity,
    When you're down, that's where you'll stay..."
    -Joe Walsh

OK! At long last, I can finally present my video review of Don Felder's "Airborne". I would just like to thank you all again for posting what information you had about Airborne. As you will see, I incorporated quite a bit into this video. Tell me what you think of the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKztqeSCbVU
    "City streets don't have much pity,
    When you're down, that's where you'll stay..."
    -Joe Walsh

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know there was video of Don from the tv shows he did so I'm impressed you found it.

Where I agree with you is the comment about too many bells and whistles, You referred to it as over-produced whereas I was thinking of it as poor arrangements but I think it's the same thing. Too many layers of sound and not enough "air".

The only bit I think you got wrong is when you said the album charted at #34 - if it had, it would have been seen as a success. Billboard has it peaking at #178.

I know we have this released in November, but Felder tweeted that today is the anniversary of its release!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Yes, looking into it a little, it appears there’s some release date confusion. Marc Eliot in his book says Don’s “solo album” Heavy Metal was released November 1981, and only mentions Airborne in the discography section. Did he get the two mixed up and use the wrong year? Wiki says the Heavy Metal soundtrack was released July 1981.

On well, Happy 36th Anniversary to Airborne!!

ETA: the iTunes Store gives the release date as June 7, 1983.
    Last edited by Delilah; 06-16-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Yes, looking into it a little, it appears there’s some release date confusion. Marc Eliot in his book says Don’s “solo album” Heavy Metal was released November 1981, and only mentions Airborne in the discography section. Did he get the two mixed up and use the wrong year? Wiki says the Heavy Metal soundtrack was released July 1981.

On well, Happy 36th Anniversary to Airborne!!

ETA: the iTunes Store gives the release date as June 7, 1983.
    Marc Eliot got a lot of things mixed up or completely wrong. He even stated the Super Bowl is in October !
    He gave the wrong info on the sex and number of kids Glenn & Tim had, and said Glenn's Mom did not remarry until Glenn was in his late teens(she remarried when he was three). Poor research in MHO.