Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Happy 5th Birthday to The Border!

Default Re: Happy 5th Birthday to The Border!

Thanks for keeping the theme going, Dreamer! I just got back from work a little bit ago. This last week of the semester is hellacious!

Thanks again to everyone who's been sharing their experiences and thoughts. This community just fills my heart to bursting sometimes. Love you guys!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Okay Missy, you're not going to leave me hanging like this, are you? Lol!
    See the What's Happening thread! It's the "Don Henleyesque" guy in my FB photos. He is planning to come over to see me probably late February (he's getting a passport right now) and I am going back to the States in the spring. We'll see how it goes!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Ooh, okay...heading over to WHIYL now!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Is this our first romance originating straight from the Border then? How cool is that?

For the record, the Borderers I have met are

glenneaglesfan (Kate) and Mrs Frey back in 2008 at the opening of the LROOE tour in London
    then StephUK (complete with 'Will' banner) in 2009

and then more recently, Soda, Dreamer, PLS, Freypower, Henley Honey, Glennlover and Timfan in Niagara Falls.

As Lou said previously, we are in touch every day on the Blackberry.

I find it amazing that I have managed to meet the two people who would geographically be furthest away from me! namely FP and MF. Also that living on an island (Ireland ) I have still been able to travel see my heros (and hero!) play.

To me this Border is not just a 'fansite'. It is a wonderful community of friends who share the good and the bad, who celebrate the wonderful things and support each other in tougher times. Quite simply, its part of my life!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - One thing I noticed (because I'm anal) is that Soda listed exactly 40 Borderers on her list. How cool that she's met 40 Borderers going into the band's 40th anniversary year.

I'll go ahead and post my list too. Even though I can't top Soda, I have been very lucky to meet many Borderers too. Some of them were brief, but I'm still grateful nonetheless. And, of course, I'd love to expand my list in the coming years. Here are the folks I've met in person so far:

canadianladydi
    carol7lynn
    cheryl
    DonFan
    eaglesvet
    Freypower
    GlennLover
    Glennsallnighter
    Henley Honey
    JustAHiredHand
    MizCB
    Molly
    nnhgirl
    Perfect Little Sister
    PinkCoatGirl
    rickmullen
    Screamin' Eagle
    scottfan
    scully6
    Sodascouts
    Tiffany Twisted
    timfan
    Wildthyme
    Z
    zermie

I think that's it, but my apologies if I forgot anyone.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow, see what happens when you miss a day here?!!!!!! You miss out on a celebration! I was on for a few minutes yesterday morning, but missed this! I took a day off work for running errands and some Christmas shopping! Not nearly enough Bordertime! So, without further adieu:

HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY TO THE BORDER!

Where do I even start? I'm so glad to be cyber friends with so many of you and able to share our love of this wonderful band! It seems impossible that we've been here for 5 years! I so hope I get to meet more of you in the years to come. Even though we haven't met in person, I feel like so many of you are my friends and that I've known you forever! I have only met a couple of you, Peek and tbsfan, but hopefully, next year, that will change. How awesome that Nancy and Kay have gotten to meet so many?

You should have seen my husband's look a few weeks ago when driving home from our daughter's home. My cell rang and it was Nancy. He's like, who? I told him it was my friend from The Eagles board. He's like, huh? Nancy is busy telling me all about the Joe (or was it Don) show she had just been to the night before in Oklahoma and B (hubby) is impatiently waiting for me to get off the phone and stop for something to eat. He goes, you are talking to a complete stranger? I told him she was telling me all about the concert. I think our conversation went on for about a half hour! He just shook his head and went on in to the restaurant! It was too funny!

So, Nancy, our Eagles Concert Queen, thank you so much for plowing ahead and starting this wonderful network of Eagles sites. I know it must take hours and hours to keep up with all of it. I sure hope I get to meet you in person someday!

And I know that I, for one, need to go hit that button that Pm mentioned! I'm quite sure this all doesn't happen for free!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Okay - to continue our 5th birthday celebration, here is a little 5-question quiz to test your Border knowledge. I'll let the members take a crack at answering the questions here and I'll post when someone answers a question correctly. To give more folks a chance here, I'll ask everyone to only answer one question in their post. We'll keep going until all questions are answered correctly. So here we go ...

1. What is the range for the number of posts to be a Border Rebel?

2. Where is a good place to find bits of trivia about the band/band members on EOC and the member sites?

3. Where can you look on The Border if you want to find out what the acronym HS&G stands for?

4. What is the nickname that has been adopted by the community for Border members?

5. What is the maximum size that a Border avatar should be?
    Answer to 3:

Use of Acronyms list in Border News Forum

Answer to 4:

Borderers

Answer to 5:

150 pixels in width & 200 pixels in height

ETA: I didn't read it properly & was only supposed to answer one question! Sorry!
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-16-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post

You should have seen my husband's look a few weeks ago when driving home from our daughter's home. My cell rang and it was Nancy. He's like, who? I told him it was my friend from The Eagles board. He's like, huh? Nancy is busy telling me all about the Joe (or was it Don) show she had just been to the night before in Oklahoma and B (hubby) is impatiently waiting for me to get off the phone and stop for something to eat. He goes, you are talking to a complete stranger? I told him she was telling me all about the concert. I think our conversation went on for about a half hour! He just shook his head and went on in to the restaurant! It was too funny!
    That's cute . . . but that's nothing!! After having met Soda for the first time in Niagara Falls in August of 2011 -- other than on the board -- hubby and I agreed that she'd come home with us from the October Atlantic City Joe show to stay for a few days as our guest before Glenn's NYU lecture. Having spent only a little online time and some brief "real-life" time with her, my DH and I were perfectly fine with that. She's the "real deal", but my cynical NY family was like, What???? You're inviting someone you've met online into your home?? What is wrong with you? Blah, blah, blah blah. It was a huge leap of faith, (on both sides because for all she knew we could have been some crazy, nasty couple) but I knew from having met her in Niagara Falls and from our contact on the Board that she was good "peeps". So we jumped in with both feet and were not disappointed.
    So in recoginition of the birthday of the Border, I have to -- once again -- say, Holy Crap, how lucky are we that it's Soda at the helm of the Border? Sometimes in life you find a perfect fit. If any Borderer finds themselves in a similar situation, I'd say -- without reservation -- go for it.
    If your life has been slightly enriched by being on the border, then meeting the originator can only be "all good". I promise.

So, once again . . . . . Happy Birthday to the Border!!!
    Last edited by Henley Honey; 12-16-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    So in recoginition of the birthday of the Border, I have to -- once again -- say, Holy Crap, how lucky are we that it's Soda at the helm of the Border? Sometimes in life you find a perfect fit. If any Borderer finds themselves in a similar situation, I'd say -- without reservation -- go for it.
    If your life has been slightly enriched by being on the border, then meeting the originator can only be "all good". I promise.

So, once again . . . . . Happy Birthday to the Border!!!
    Hear hear!

Brooke - we are gonna meet up one of these days. In fact, one reason I called was that I was driving through Missouri on my way home from Oklahoma and, not realizing what side of the state you were located on, hoped to be able to meet you for dinner somewhere en route! Sorry I annoyed your hubby, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter
    To me this Border is not just a 'fansite'. It is a wonderful community of friends who share the good and the bad, who celebrate the wonderful things and support each other in tougher times. Quite simply, its part of my life!
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    That's cute . . . but that's nothing!! After having met Soda for the first time in Niagara Falls in August of 2011 -- other than on the board -- hubby and I agreed that she'd come home with us from the October Atlantic City Joe show to stay for a few days as our guest before Glenn's NYU lecture. Having spent only a little online time and some brief "real-life" time with her, my DH and I were perfectly fine with that. She's the "real deal", but my cynical NY family was like, What???? You're inviting someone you've met online into your home?? What is wrong with you? Blah, blah, blah blah. It was a huge leap of faith, (on both sides because for all she knew we could have been some crazy, nasty couple) but I knew from having met her in Niagara Falls and from our contact on the Board that she was good "peeps". So we jumped in with both feet and were not disappointed.
    What a fun time that was! You guys blew me away with your warmth and generosity. I would have been content just to hang out and entertain myself, but you not only opened your home to me, you took time out of your busy schedules to take me into the city and show me around. You really went above and beyond to show me a good time! Your kindness and hospitality is a credit to you and shows your big heart. It's little wonder we clicked.

I feel very lucky to have met you!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Hear hear!
    You know, I always figured we would meet "in real life" FP. I just thought it would have to be in Australia. You will always get props for being the first to dive into this with me!

As I've said before, I feel very blessed to have been able to meet so many wonderful people who have chosen to join this community, and I hope you all know how much I value you! I may have created this place, but it would be nothing but a bunch of html coding without such great members. I gave birth to the Border but it lives a healthy life because of you.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten