Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Henley the guitar man?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Henley the guitar man?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This is from the Hop Farm Festival last year, after the Australian tour. He is playing guitar here. There is no sound, but I have no reason to believe the song is not LITFL. Glenn is playing Old Black.
    FP--You just crack me up. Even when there's a discussion about something totally different, you still manage to get Glenn in there somehow.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I thought I was the only one that noticed that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    FP--You just crack me up. Even when there's a discussion about something totally different, you still manage to get Glenn in there somehow.
    Oh, wow. The reason I knew the song was LITFL is because Glenn plays Old Black in that song. That's all. I thought if I mentioned that it would justify what I said, given that there was no sound.

FP, I think they're just yankin' yer chain.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Oh, wow. The reason I knew the song was LITFL is because Glenn plays Old Black in that song. That's all. I thought if I mentioned that it would justify what I said, given that there was no sound.
    Is that the only song he plays Old Black on? (I'm hanging my head in shame here for not knowing! )

It would be interesting to know, especially if he HAD played in Melbourne yet chose not to at Hop Farm...

And going back to the original context of your comment about preferring to see Don with an instrument - how would you feel about seeing Glenn without an instrument at an Eagles concert? I know it appealed greatly during his solo show, but would you feel the same way at an Eagles concert?
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Is that the only song he plays Old Black on? (I'm hanging my head in shame here for not knowing! )

It would be interesting to know, especially if he HAD played in Melbourne yet chose not to at Hop Farm...

And going back to the original context of your comment about preferring to see Don with an instrument - how would you feel about seeing Glenn without an instrument at an Eagles concert? I know it appealed greatly during his solo show, but would you feel the same way at an Eagles concert?
    In terms of Old Black he plays it when Don is singing Witchy Woman & LITFL (and OOTN before that was dropped). He plays it when he sings Heartache Tonight.

Can't someone who was at the Las Vegas show tell us what the configuration for LITFL was?!

Regarding the 'no instrument' thing the easiest way to deal with it is to say that it would never happen at an Eagles concert. Whether I would LIKE it to happen is another story. If I said I would, I come across as a hypocrite regarding Don in the same position.

Don played guitar on LITFL in Vegas.

I think Don is an adequate guitarist and is not just faking up there, but with Joe, Glenn, and Stu already playing parts more than adequately, his is probably turned down in the mix.

I don't mind Don up there in the front on occasion, but I do think people like to see the man who is billed as the Eagles drummer play drums, lol. That said, they don't mind getting a good look at the man, too. He just has to strike a balance. When I saw the LROOE tour at its height, I thought he played drums on enough songs to justify the job description.

Personally, I prefer him behind the drums during classic Eagles songs like HC and LITFL - it invokes the five-piece band they were when those songs were on the radio, which gives them extra emotional punch - but if he wants to come out for other stuff, I have no problem with it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I have no problem at all with him being out front for his solo songs, but for Eagles songs he should be playing drums, unless he's playing acoustic guitar. The percussion is a compromise, I suppose. He mainly plays percussion on Joe's songs. When they did Somebody and for once he was standing to Glenn's right while Glenn sang instead of vice versa, that was fun to watch, but the question will always remain - if he did play drums on any LROOE songs we have no evidence of it (apart from the How Long video).

Whether or not Don plays drums on new songs onstage has nothing to do with whether or not he played drums for those songs on the album. Remember our "I Can't Tell You Why" guitar solo discussion?

In the same way, the "How Long" video is not evidence of anything except his ability to "drum-sync." He may or may not have played drums for that song on the album, but the video would show him on drums regardless. The set was designed to feature the four Eagles and evoke an old-school feel by having them play in an empty hanger. It wouldn't be very "old school" if they were surrounded by a dozen backing musicians. If I remember correctly, not only does Don not play drums on that song onstage, but Stu has the prominent guitar solo rather than Joe. That would really look bad on a video.

That said, I think Don plays drums very little on the LROOE album - just enough to get the credit, methinks. I'm only speculating, but he's said himself that he doesn't like to drum on his own albums... his lack of enthusiasm for drumming is no secret. In light of that fact, it doesn't seem likely that he would be eager to drum on an Eagles album. In fact, I imagine he would only drum on an Eagles album for the sake of appearances, and thus do so minimally.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Which is a shame, because despite what he seems to think, he is better than he seems to think he is (admittedly I am no expert). I like watching him play drums and always will as long as he is capable of it.