Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
JCL, by list I just meant "Eagles, Pink Floyd, Led Zepp, Neil Young and more". My sister had "Disraeli Gears" and I remember liking most of it.
Ah, thanks, just wanted to check as I've done other, much more detailed lists elsewhere on this section. I think it's quite generous to describe that as a list! I've given Disraeli Gears a listen, and I like it quite a bit. Favourites so far are probably Sunshine Of Your Love and Strange Brew, although I like everything except Mother's Lament (although that pretty obviously isn't representative of their music, and at least it is reasonably short).

NMB, your comments about your friend remind me a lot of the conversations I have with people about Bob Dylan! I don't seem to mind some of the more controversial vocalists, so yes, I think I'd probably enjoy Leonard Cohen, probably not as instantly as with some artists but I can imagine his stuff growing on me.

I agree that democracy was better than dictatorship for Pink Floyd. Just look at what they allowed to make it onto A Momentary Lapse Of Reason after David took over the band. If the band had been more democratic some of the worst stuff could have been left off! Seriously though, I agree that Pink Floyd's best music was definitely when Roger was leading the band's direction and writing all the lyrics. I think the balance they had in the Dark Side and Wish You Were Here era was absolutely perfect, with David and Rick helping to bring Roger's concepts to life with their superior musicianship. Having said that, there are moments in The Wall (mainly on disc two) when it does border on 'The Roger Waters Show', but Animals (which is one of their top three albums IMO) is a different matter - that's totally a Pink Floyd album in my mind, even if Roger was more dominant than on Dark Side or Wish. I couldn't imagine that record without Rick's keyboards and even more so David's guitar work. I have to admit I'm fond of The Division Bell, much more so than Momentary Lapse, although I'll concede it has its fair share of lyrical foibles and it does feel at times that the songs are secondary to David's next guitar solo... I absolutely love High Hopes though.