Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhones and iPads

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default iPhones and iPads

Having acquired both recently I was wondering who else has these? Also I thought we could share information on any apps that we particularly like or find useful.

I'll start by asking if anyone knows how/where I can get Eagles/GF ringtones for the iphone 4s? They seem a little thin on the ground to say the least.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Default Re: iPhones and iPads

I'm posting from my iPhone now. I purchased YBTTC (Smuggler's Blues is also available) from the iTunes Store through my phone. I don't know if they are available in the UK. I know that iTunes Canada & iTunes US do not have the same libraries available & I can't purchase anything from the US site. I love my phone though.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I'm posting from my iPhone now. I purchased YBTTC (Smuggler's Blues is also available) from the iTunes Store through my phone. I don't know if they are available in the UK. I know that iTunes Canada & iTunes US do not have the same libraries available & I can't purchase anything from the US site. I love my phone though.
    That's my pet peeve about iTunes (even less stuff available in NZ and I can SEE it on the iTunes sites from other countries... GRRR). Plus, pricing is out of synch with the rest of the world (a song that costs $0.99 in the US costs us $2.39 and with the exchange rate it should only be about $1.25). And that's a big reason why I haven't gone down the Apple path yet. Well, that and the $$$ I just don't have

I'm interested in hearing about useful apps you all find, though. Anything that helps you manage your time and coordinate life! That might persuade me to re-think.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

I'm afraid they're raising prices on songs on iTunes in America as well, EK. Inflation, I suppose. I use a subscription service, emusic.com, but they are missing several bands such as our own Eagles. Boo! However, the cost is more reasonable and I can download the music as MP3, then simply load it onto my iPod or iPad through iTunes software.

No good ringtones either. Another "boo." I make my own for my Pantech phone, but I'm not sure they will work on an iPhone.

I've been using iPods since 2005, when I won an iPod Shuffle for being one of the first 10 to sign a contract for my apartment lease renewal. At first I thought I didn't need it - I had digitized my music library back in 2000 when I was in college. It was exciting to finally be able to make "mix CDs" just like we used to make mix tapes off the radio. I had plenty of those CDs. Was I to throw them over for this little thing, that only would hold a fraction of the songs I'd put on my computer?

However, in 2005, I also tried to start exercising. While this attempt would eventually peter out, lol, using an iPod while I went out walking was infinitely preferable to a clunky Walkman which would stop working half the time from all the bouncing.

Then, later that year, it was time to visit my parents in Dubai. That flight, altogether, is about 17 hours. I could bring a container of mix CDs, clunky and difficult to haul around, or my little bitty iPod. The choice was simple.

After that I used my iPod all the time, and bought new models every couple of years because I kept exceeding my iPod's memory. My original Shuffle I loaded with Glenn Frey music, called it a "FreyPod," and gave it to PLS when she had to go into surgery. She listened to it the whole time and she said hearing Glenn's voice gave her comfort. How sweet is that?

Obviously, the iPod had proven its worth. However, when the iPhone came out, I figured I didn't need it. I only used my cell phone in the car. I never texted. And who needs a camera on a phone? C'mon!

That changed. My friends were all texting - why shouldn't I? Cell phones were also useful for long distance; using them for long distance calls was cheaper. Why not use them for local calls too? Still, I resisted the iPhone because of the monthly fees and simply got a phone with a keyboard instead.

However, in 2010 I asked for an iPod Mini for Christmas because I'd filled my old iPod to the brim and I thought, rather than buying another one, I could get it for Christmas. Dad went to Best Buy and bought an iPod Touch instead.

It wasn't what I had asked for, but it sure was cool! Since an iPod touch is essentially an iPhone without the actual phone element, I was introduced to the world of apps and how great it was to have portable internet access. My new reason for not getting an iPhone was that I pretty much had it now - did I really need internet access all the time, after all? Nah, having it at home and Starbucks was surely enough. An iPad also seemed unnecessary. I had a laptop, after all!

My travels this past fall were what made me start to want an iPad. My poor laptop was getting banged around from all the traveling. I saw people on the planes using their iPads and I wished I had something so portable to play around on; my iPod was too tiny to do that much on.

I got an iPad for Christmas this year. In some ways, I was disappointed. I had hoped it would replace my laptop, but that's not going to happen as the technology now stands. Typing on it is quite difficult. I could perhaps get used to that, but even worse, there's no USB port, so you have to use a "cloud" to store files - a "cloud" which is only available when you have access to the internet, as you can't save to your iPad. Remember, because I don't have an iPhone, I only have internet access sporadically on trips.

Also, I used my laptop for other complicated activities - photo editing, media editing, html editing... none of those were able to be done on the iPad. Apps that purported to have these capabilities were pale shadows that were quite limited. I couldn't work on it, I couldn't update my sites using it, I couldn't even easily chat on it because of the difficulty of typing (Right now, my iPad sits on the table while I type this from my laptop.) Heck, I couldn't even use Flash on it because Apple has issues with Adobe. You can watch YouTube via a special app but you can't watch any other streaming videos, nor can you play Flash games.

I realized that the only real virtue of the iPad for me was its easy portable access to the internet.... an access which, for me, was limited to my place, my friends/family's places, and hotspots.

I've decided in order to get full value out of my iPad, I'll need to get a data plan. Since I text so much, it will work out well on that end, too. Maybe once I can hook up to the internet from anywhere, I'll get more use out of my iPad. Right now it is just an expensive toy, inferior to my laptop in every way except for its portability. If I travel, I wind up bringing both - the laptop for everyday use, the iPad for when I just want to play in an airport or some other occasion when the laptop is too cumbersome. Frankly, it's not what I had hoped.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Regardless of my frustration with the iPad, here are the apps I use the most:

FREE APPS

AIM (AOL Instant Messenger). Yes, it's hard to type, but now I can respond to messages from friends even if my laptop is off and put away and I'm not near my desktop. If you have friends that like to chat, this is the way to go. Facebook chat is much inferior.

Facebook - Speaking of, anyone who uses Facebook regularly will like the Facebook app. Again, good for when the laptop isn't out and the desktop is in another room.

Netflix - if you have an iPad, consider subscribing to this. It's great to be able to stream movies anywhere in the house without hauling the laptop around.

SparkPeople - trying to count your calories? This app does it for you with a huge database of the calorie counts of popular foods. I take this into the kitchen with me when I'm making dinner to add things up (a bit obsessive perhaps, but it's working). If I'm in a restaurant with wifi, I'll sneak a peek at it before I order. Seeing that Chili's brownie sundae is 1340 calories will help you resist the urge to order one!

TripAdvisor - if you're a traveling a lot, this helps you a great deal when trying to find places to stay or go. It has lots of useful reviews and information to help you make sure you don't wind up at a dump.

The Weather Channel - need to know whether to take an umbrella or coat with you? No need to turn on a computer - you can just hit this app. It's got a beautiful interface as well.

White Pages - just like a portable phone book.

Wikipedia - I tell my students it's not an academic resource and not usable for their research, but it sure is great when you want generalized information quickly. It is the very embodiment of the ideals of the "information age" that the internet has enabled.

Yelp - more useful information and reviews, only this focuses more on entertainment. I can look up a venue and read about the set-up, whether or not there's a pit, where one should park... it's great! I can look up restaurants, clubs.. all sorts of information good to have for a "night out."

PAID APPS

Dropbox - since you can't use a USB port, if you want to store anything and make it accessible from another computer, you have to save it to a "cloud" - ie, a folder that is stored on an internet server and thus is accessible on any device which connects to the internet. Dropbox is not too expensive and does what you need it to do.

Office HD - Well, storing those files is useless if you can't open them. In order to open and edit Word files, you need an Office app. You can also open PowerPoint files; however, you can't edit them.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

This is a helpful topic as I believe this year I will finally be taking the plunge & buying an iPhone. It may as well be an iPhone because I have an iPod, but I will continue to store my music library on my iPod which is the classic 60GB model. It holds 15000 tracks & I'm only up to 8000 at the moment. I have had it since 2006 so it has served me very well indeed.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'm an Android person, and I love the fact that I can move files back and forth between my laptops and my Droid phone and Kindle Fire. I have the documents folder on my laptop backed up on my phone (and of course a backup hard drive), and since that includes work files, it means I can go to the office and use it like a flash drive. Makes it very easy to download pictures to show others when out and about.

Many apps for iPhone exist for Android, too. I won't be as organized as Soda and split them between paid and free, since I can't remember, but I seldom buy apps.

First, I use Documents To Go. A lot. An expensive app, $10 or so. But it works for every platform, and on the iPhone, if you have both on the same wireless network, you can move MS Office documents back and forth. In my job, I often need to review documents, and while not the prime platform in which to do it, it's nice to be able to work while out getting the car inspected.

Kindle is another app I use very frequently and it's free. I use the Bible app a lot, I can't live without the Weather Channel app, and there's an app called Around Me that's on both Android and iPhone. Using GPS or triangulation, it tells you the things closest to you by category. Banks, restaurants, hotels, you name it. Very helpful when traveling and in a strange place. Of course, you all probably aren't interested in the Penguins and Steeler apps like I am. I have Words With Friends on all the devices and it's synched with my Facebook account so I can play wherever I am. I use Shazam a lot, because it drives me crazy to be somewhere and hear a song and not remember who sang it. Of course, Google Maps and Navigation replaced my need for a Garmin.

One app that is very handy, especially on phones, is the flashlight app. Each brand of phone has its own app, and it uses the phones flash as a flashlight with one touch.

Soda, I had intended to buy a Lenovo Think Pad (I won't since I got the Fire for Christmas) and yes, these things are hard to type with. Of course on my phone I don't type anything since it has a microphone, I do everything by voice. But the big reason I wanted one is that my laptop is too big to use on airplanes. After your comments, I'm thinking maybe a Netbook is the way to go.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Good for you FP, and it does indeed make sense to improve your collection of 'Apple' gadgets! The iPhone will also have an ipod function on it so you will be able to take music with you on the phone as well.

Soda, thats a very interesting selection of Apps that you have. I will definitely consider netflix based on your endorsement. And perhaps SparkPeople too.
    My main apps are as follows - I cant really say iPhone or ipad as the free ones synch when either is connected to itunes, so I have them on both.

Radio Stations - RTE, Sunshine, Xmas fm, Q102, Newstalk - all allow me to stream Irish radio programmes.

ibooks - here I can download free and paid audio books but there isn't a great collection. I've downloaded Little Women, Canterbury Tales and What Katy Did Next.

Games - Tetris, Pacman and Bubble annihilator, as well as some that Chris plays.

Photography Apps - Colourblast HD, Phototoaster, snapbucket

Weather - Europeweather and theweatherchannel

Music - Accoustic guitar, guitar lab, GuitarChords, PG songbook.

And some of the most useful ones on the iphone are :

Whatsapp - used to chat to anybody anywhere across the internet. Much Much cheaper than texting!

itorch4pro - a torch on your phone! Very good if you are looking for car keys in the dark!!

Soda! I'm sorry your iPad hasn't been what you hoped for. Mine to the contrary has exceeded all expectations. My hubby suggested I go for the wireless and 3G even though it was more expensive than the wifi only options.So I went for a data plan that costs €7.99 per month. It only kicks in if the venue I'm in doesn't have wifi access. My laptop was broken at the time and was in for repair and probably the most important thing I did on my new 'toy' was book my Fallsview tickets! It was a Godsend when I did go to Niagara Falls, mainly due to its portability! Even now, I can check my emails or check out the Border on my way to work in the mornings!
    I can see how its limitations can frustrate you. I view mine as a companion to a computer rather than a standalone. But there are various accessories which may help you. For instance I know you can buy a USB that will directly connect your camera to the iPad, thereby allowing you to transfer pictures directly. I'm sure there are others.
    Your ipod history is very interesting to read!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Interesting to read everyone's thoughts.

Does anybody use any kind of function that synchronises multiple diaries?
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Does anybody use any kind of function that synchronises multiple diaries?
    I don't know about diaries but with text you can use Evernote which will take text "notes" and share with all of your devices. Perfect for journals, to-do lists, etc. You can compose it on the computer and read it on your phone or tablet.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."