Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Glenn the axeman!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn the axeman!

My two cents is that this thread hasn't really been about 'defending' Glenn's guitar playing but more about factual information on what he plays, and I have found it very interesting to read. I agree with chaim's comments above, however. As with his songwriting, Glenn is often not given sufficient credit for his guitar work.

I have found it fascinating to read through the last few pages. I remember asking my husband a couple of years ago about how much guitar Glenn played - his comment was "you'd miss it if it wasn't there" (i.e. mostly rhythm parts). Of course I've learnt a lot over the last year (thanks to the Border!), but I'm still eager to find out more about the music I love.

Re: the bass players' songs: I think their voices are better suited to understated guitar, and I think Glenn "got" that.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border

Glenn obviously has the ability to sit down and think of great, flowing melodies for guitar solos, and that may have fascinated Randy and Tim. But, Don Felder obviously was amazing at that too (After The Thrill Is Gone, for example), so I don't know...
    Incidentally, it has started to bother me that I'm always referred to as "chaim" Well, at least I'd like people to know my real name too...I'm often "Chaim" in the internet, because that's Gene Simmons's original name, Chaim Witz. So from now on I think I'll be adding my real first name to my posts, so people at least have the choice to call me by my real name if they like!

-Toni-

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks that sharing your name with us Toni! Just in case you are interested we have a few threads where you can introduce yourself and tell us a bit more about yourself. Only if you wish to do so. I know some people like to remain fairly anonymous on Internet boards.

This is our names thread
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=2980

We also have our 'New Kid In Town' forum where you can introduce yourself and say as little or as much as you feel comfortable with.
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...splay.php?f=19

Or if you'd like to tell us how you got 'into' the Eagles you can try this one.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=311
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Thanks, I'll check those out. I always tend to skip those "introduce yourself" threads in every forum!
    Back to Glenn's guitar playing...I remember saying most of the things I wrote in this thread before and I remember saying the following comment before in some thread, but I'll say it again: I really love Glenn's licks in Too Many Hands. I'm not 100% sure (only 99% sure) which one is Don F and which one Glenn, but I really love those lead bits that I'm pretty sure are Glenn. Especially at the end, where the two are "trading licks". Glenn's licks sound like they were well thought out. I play guitar (although since my teenage years I haven't been that interested in, or capable of, playing lead) and I remember sitting down years ago with a guitar in my hands and learning Glenn's licks by ear. I'm not much of a lead player, but everyone says that my "ear" is amazing and I'm very good at learning all kinds of stuff by ear. And still, there's one lick that Glenn does that made me go, "How the h*** did he play that???". I still don't know how he played that one lick, actually. As far as I know it's very unorthodox. But then again, most of the lead stuff he did in that song, is not part of the "rock guitar clichés" book. In his solo songs Glenn's more bluesy phrases are often pretty ordinary and he tends to play certain things, but in Too Many Hands he did some pretty weird stuff!
    There are some people in this forum who REALLY know all this musician stuff and I'm waiting for them to come and say "actually what he did was pretty basic"!
    Last edited by chaim; 02-05-2012 at 06:39 AM.

I've liked the Eagles for years, but it's only been recently that I've started paying attention to the details like technique. Listening more closely, watching the DVDs and reading background notes from The Border and other sources has started me thinking about the source of Glenn's unique style.

I'll issue a disclaimer here that I quite possibly don't know what I'm talking about and real guitarists may laugh, but here goes. Glenn seems to have a slow, bluesy style, no doubt influenced by time spent in both Detroit and Memphis. He's mentioned a love of Muscle Shoals as well. One thing I've also noticed is that he doesn't often fingerpick. I'm sure he can, but he usually plays with a guitar pick. This would tend to make his leads more "linear", if you will. There's also a slight staccato effect. Notes start and stop, however briefly, though ICTYW and his slide work are exceptions to this.

I've often wondered if elements of his style might be influenced by him being a left-hander playing right-handed. His strumming right hand would not be as dexterous as some of his right-handed peers, perhaps resulting in the reliance on guitar picks and a less flashy, more thoughtful feel to his leads. The stronger left hand on the fretboard, however, might give him more reach and access to a wider variety of chords.

All just speculation, of course, but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

WE, I was just getting ready to post the same thing about him being left-handed and playing right-handed. As a lefty myself, I know how right handed people can take so much for granted. I've never seriously tried to play guitar, which I'll always regret, but it was because I was left handed and no one in my little town could teach me unless I played right-handed, and I couldn't manage it. I stuck with the piano. The fact that Glenn plays guitar so well while being left-handed has always earned him a lot of respect from me. A lot of people are born with talent, and he certainly was. But it takes a lot of work to get to the level he's on, and exponentially more work to get there as a left-handed person playing right-handed.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Good point, VA. I'm a righty married to a lefty and the subject of one vs. the other comes up a lot. My husband had the same problem as you when he tried to learn guitar and, like you, went with piano instead.

Thanks for sharing your name, Toni!

As for his left-handedness, I hadn't really given much thought to how that has affected his playing but it really is amazing when you think about it. I know I can't summon that kind of precision out of my left hand. Even more props to Glenn!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I didn't know Glenn was left handed. They do have left handed guitars, so I wonder why he never played one.