Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenn the axeman!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Glenn the axeman!

Check this out if you havent seen it already. California Jam 1974 and Felder was missing as his wife was giving birth. Glenn playing his Les Paul Junior and takes the lead on "Already Gone" as he did on the album "On the Border" before Don Felder had arrived in the band.

I think Glenns guitar playing shines on his solo albums as there has always been others around to take on that role in the band. But its quite a rare glimpse into Glenns ability to play lead.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQ1qkGxoR0[/ame]

Default Re: Glenn the axeman!

Oooh, Austin's gonna love this!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Woo hoo hoo, my my! This live version ROCKS HARD!!!!!

Thanks for posting this, RC! It had me rocking in my desk chair.

Glenn certainly can PLAY guitar. He does tend to leave the lead guitar work to Joe and Steuart Smith nowadays, because he considers them better guitarists than himself (very humble of him, but there you are), but I remember being very excited to see him play lead on "Witchy Woman" in London in 2008.

Listening to this, I couldn't help missing Don Felder's parts, but Glenn's solo certainly can stand on its own.

And I have to add that Glenn's lead vocals are absolutely superb here, and the band is rollicking. Fantastic. One of my favourite Eagles songs. It just shows that a four-piece band can make as big an impact as a larger outfit. This version is, in my opinion, far superior to the (correct me if I got the venue and date wrong here - it's from the top of my head) Houston 1974 version featuring all five Eagles.

Oh, and for good measure, I just wanted to add that I have an identical pair of sunglasses to what Glenn is wearing here (and it looks like Don is wearing similar sunglasses).

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Love that video!

On the recording, Don was called in to play a solo at the same time as Glenn's solo to accompany it. He first did the slide for Good Day In Hell before they asked him to do the solo in Already Gone. You can very easily hear Don's solo in the live videos but it admittedly can be hard to hear on the studio recording but it is there. Once you hear Don play it live you know what to listen for and can hear it a bit easier on the studio track but Don was on the original track.

The songs that stick out in my mind where Glenn shines on lead guitar are Already Gone, Witchy Woman, and Get Over It. I love Glenn's simple yet tasteful lead style. Very blues based, similar to Walsh's. Felder always had a more technical "schooled" side to him. I love Felder's playing but I myself as a guitarist gravitate to that simple blues based playing by feel approach rather than the technician approach. But having both types in a band REALLY works well. Lots of great classic rock bands had that combo and it really worked well.

I've said before on here that Glenn is the Keith Richards of the Eagles. He contributes solid rhythm in the background and makes a platform for Walsh and Felder (or now, Walsh and Smith) to do their lead work. But when Glenn does do leads (which is not often), he really does them well. Same with Keith.

Also, FWIW if you are at all a gearhead like me, the gear used on Already Gone (the recording) was a Fender Blackface Deluxe non-reverb amp cranked with the Les Paul Junior. Both Glenn and Don used this amp AFAIK. I believe I have heard Felder say he used a Les Paul Special, which is a two pickup Junior. Glenn's Junior started out with one pickup like the Junior comes with but he modded it for a neck pickup. It is NOT a Les Paul Special as some believe.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Redcloud View Post
    Check this out if you havent seen it already. California Jam 1974 and Felder was missing as his wife was giving birth. Glenn playing his Les Paul Junior and takes the lead on "Already Gone" as he did on the album "On the Border" before Don Felder had arrived in the band.

I think Glenns guitar playing shines on his solo albums as there has always been others around to take on that role in the band. But its quite a rare glimpse into Glenns ability to play lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQ1qkGxoR0

I've had this one in my YouTube Favorites list for months now. I still love it. One of my favorite Eagles videos.

There's also one for Take It Easy from the same show floating around somewhere. In addition to Jackson Browne assisting, there are some adorable shots of someone's kid backstage playing this tiny toy guitar. The kid can't be more than 2, but is working the fretboard like a pro. (I say kid because it looks like a girl, but it was 1974 and long hair was in. You never know!) I've often wondered whose kid it was.

Glenn Frey is a very under-rated guitar player. As far as I'm concerned, the guy is phenomenal at both playing and singing. I think probably the most smoothest guitar solo ever is on "I Can't Tell You Why" and that was played by Glenn. Superb!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Fantastic video footage for 1974! Of course, the song itself is one of my favorites. I do believe I'll be watching this one quite often.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Fantastic video footage for 1974! Of course, the song itself is one of my favorites. I do believe I'll be watching this one quite often.
    I love this footage too. Especially hearing Bernie play the Banjo. Nothing against Felder, Schmit or Walsh, but the original line up will always be my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    There's also one for Take It Easy from the same show floating around somewhere. In addition to Jackson Browne assisting, there are some adorable shots of someone's kid backstage playing this tiny toy guitar. The kid can't be more than 2, but is working the fretboard like a pro. (I say kid because it looks like a girl, but it was 1974 and long hair was in. You never know!) I've often wondered whose kid it was.
    Here's the Take it Easy Video; Kid included and HOW cute is that!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByaqHhBFqE[/ame]

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I love watching both of those videos no matter how many times I see them. Nowadays when I think of Glenn playing lead guitar, I am always reminded of seeing him play I Dreamed There Was No War live at Niagara Falls in 2007. It was simply incredible!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016