Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Glenn the axeman!

Default Re: Glenn the axeman!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I think it was probably more about what was available to him at the time, because they had very little when they first started out, as is probably the case with many of these guitar players. I doubt it was the"coolness factor"
    Hendrix played lefty & I think he was pretty cool. McCartney also played lefty.

I think these guys picked up guitars that were available & learned to play. I don't think many of them even took lessons, just a natural talent that they had & started playing pretty young. Felder said he played on some crappy thing he bought dirt cheap with no strings on it & he put strings on himself.
    There were probably few lefty guitars & were probably more expensive especially back then.
    Good point. If he didn't take formal guitar lessons, he probably learned from whoever was around to teach him and maybe never even thought about doing it differently from his peers. If it took longer to learn a lick, then maybe it was just taking longer and he needed to practice harder.

As Soda said, he doesn't seem the type to shy away from a challenge, especially if there was female motivation involved. He's said himself that one of the reasons he took up guitar in the first place was for the girls.

Perhaps also the "dream" guitars were all for right-handers? if Glenn had aspired to a top model (& I'm guessing the boy had ambition right from the outset ), that might have been an influence.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

We can really only guess why Glenn plays right handed, but I agree this would be a fantastic question for an interviewer to ask him. Something different than the normal questions he is asked over & over.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Sometimes left handed people just adapt to the right handed default too. My brother is left handed when he writes but does everything else including playing golf fight handed. Maybe that's how Glenn just naturally took to the instrument.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

This doesn't mean much to me, but maybe it will to guitar players:
    In the past couple of years I have been turned onto Eddie Hinton. Can you tell me something about him as an artist?

...He did so much for so many guitar players by sort of pioneering the parallel fourth. He taught Glen Frey how to do that and then The Eagles had a hit on the song called “I Found Somebody To Love.” You can go back and listen to that song and see if it doesn’t sound like Eddie Hinton playing guitar. That is because Eddie had showed him the parallel fourth.
    source

Stuck on the Border

Leaving aside the glaring error about I Found Somebody it doens't surprise me that Hinton was heavily involved with the Muscle Shoals/soul sound Glenn loves so much. I think I have read Glenn referencing him.

Out on the Border

I saw a pic of Glenn's rig, and it did have two DD-s delays on it. One of them was outlined in green tape, leading me to believe it was probably set for maybe one tune. Any ideas what his delay setting were set to? or what tune(s) the outlined delay pedal was used on?

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I thought I'd discuss gear, in particular Glenn's guitars, amps, effects, etc!

Glenn has always used a Fender non-reverb Blackface Deluxe onstage since I can remember, especially since the late 70s and for sure throughout HFO-to-present day. His pedals are very simple. Usually a couple of delays, a chorus, and a boost for solos. He doesn't need much (compared to Joe, Felder, or Stu) but they work great for him. The last pic of his board had two BOSS DD-3 delays, a BOSS CH-1 chorus, and a BOSS DS-1 distortion for lead boost. He runs his amp kind of broken up and then uses the volume control and the DS-1 for solos.

Where as Joe mainly runs BIG Fender Twin Reverbs and Super Reverbs clean live and uses the pedals for gain (he uses the BOSS OD-3 and OS-2 both on his board and also has been using a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive recently in place of the OD-3. He used to use the old BOSS HM-2 pedal back in the day and a Ibanez TS-9 as well.) which is the way I personally run my amps, run them clean with little or no breakup and then use pedals for a variety of gain sounds. It makes it easier to cover more range tone-wise and get those sounds from the record. I'm a big stickler for making the live show sound exactly like the record and of course the Eagles with Joe are pretty famous for that too, so that's why you go down the path of using so many pedals to cover more range to nail the sounds from the tracks.

Glenn's rig has always been very simple. Usually a Les Paul (either Standard in Sunburst or Old Black - the modified Junior) or a Telecaster (either brown Sunburst or yellow/natural) through a couple of BOSS pedals into his Blackface non-reverb Fender Deluxe. He did use a Gibson 335 for a short while in the late 70s/early 80s - especially during his solo career. He also used an Gibson SG Junior for a short while in the 70s.

Everyone that is a guitar fan or nerd or player usually has a specific setup when they think of a player. IE, they think of a Strat and a Super Reverb when they think of Stevie Ray Vaughan. When I think of Glenn, I think that Black Gibson Les Paul Junior through that Fender Blackface Deluxe.

When I think of Joe I think of a Sunburst Les Paul through a Fender Blackface Super or Twin Reverb. Joe will always be the Les Paul guy for me even though he has played Fender's heavily (both Strats and Teles). He is the reason I started and the reason I got into Les Pauls so much.

When I think of Felder, I think of a Gibson EDS-1275 through a Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb or Tweed Deluxe. Felder did play Les Pauls and Stratocasters but that doubleneck 1275 is what I think of when I think of Don Felder or think of the guitar, I think of him.

Quote Originally Posted by ldoss73 View Post
    I saw a pic of Glenn's rig, and it did have two DD-s delays on it. One of them was outlined in green tape, leading me to believe it was probably set for maybe one tune. Any ideas what his delay setting were set to? or what tune(s) the outlined delay pedal was used on?
    I'm not sure, ldoss.

I would definitely think that one of them or both are song specific.

When I think of Glenn's guitar tone I don't hear a lot of delay there. Maybe his part on OOTN, but that's about it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Sometimes left handed people just adapt to the right handed default too. My brother is left handed when he writes but does everything else including playing golf fight handed. Maybe that's how Glenn just naturally took to the instrument.

My late ex-husband was left-handed. He played right-handed. He told me it was because he is self-taught and all the books were for right-handed people. He also said some left-handed guitar players will play the guitar upside down or string the guitar to adapt.

Stuck on the Border

Years ago I had read somewhere that Glenn had to learn the guitar right-handed because either there were no left handed guitars or they were too expensive for his parents. I also vaguely remember reading somewhere he strung his guitar "backwards". However, it was long ago and I would not bet my bank account on it-lol.
    I do know that back in the 60's the world was not as "left-handed friendly" as it is now. I had an uncle(RIP) who, back in the day, was forced to become right handed in school.