Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn the axeman!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn the axeman!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    FP I have to agree with Felder in this case. Why give a Japanese guitar to the US President? I agree it should have been an American made guitar. I believe it was a gift to Clinton that the band signed. Felder said that Frey had a deal with Takamine. I'm not sure that deal included the rest of the band. I don't believe I've seen Felder or Walsh play Takamine guitars, but I'm not sure.
    If you re-read my post above, Felder specifically refers to the Takamine that he smashed up at Wrong Beach, in his book. Althugh he also says it's the guitar he used on Lyin' Eyes, a song on which I thought he played lead (electric) guitar.

I'm sure I've seen Joe play Takamines but I need to find a photo. I guess when I said 'they' I meant Glenn & Don Henley.

If Felder was so unhappy with having to play Takamines, he could have left the band.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-28-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If Felder was so unhappy with having to play Takamines, he could have left the band.
    And that statement could have applied to so many of the other things he whinged about in his book.

I would be interested to know why Glenn went with Takamine, he is far too knowledgeable and demanding a musician to have agreed to play anythng inferior, so did they have a different sound to whatever else was around at the time? - bearing in mind the original association dates back quite some time.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Takamine are very good guitars, just not American. So I suppose if the money is right, what the hell!

Joe playing a Takamine

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCpCZNUaE0I&feature=related[/ame]

Stuck on the Border

Don Felder was originally brought in to play slide and later Joe Walsh seemed to be the "slide king" in the Eagles. But when I saw one particular concert DVD (the one where it's raining throughout the gig), it was Glenn's slide work in "Smuggler's blues" that sent shivers down the spine. Some of my favourite Eagles slide work was played by Glenn in Midnight Flyer. I'm not saying that Glenn is a better slide player than Don and Joe. He isn't. But I find it interesting that he liked to play slide before Felder arrived. Earlybird, Midnight Flyer, Is It True?...But once Felder joined, he never played slide again. I guess when Glenn really put his mind to it and allowed himself a few takes in the studio, he could play great stuff (like we can hear in ICTYW, for instance), but those two other guys could give a rather good performance anytime. Glenn has said that, in terms of playing, he and Don Henley took more time in the studio than the other guys.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As I said earlier, I also think Glenn is a superb guitarist. This is nothing more than my humble opinion, but it seems to me that his main interest is not in being a guitarist. I don't know this, but my observation is that Glenn is the type of person that has to really concentrate on what he's doing when he is performing live. He doesn't want to have to focus so hard on just one thing. I believe that part of the reason he wanted Joe and Felder in the band was to take on the heavy duty guitar playing so that he could focus on other things. Another thought is I'm not sure when his rheumotoid arthritis first flared up, but it could have been at a very early age. In any event, that obviously affects his dexterity and ability (and probably desire) to play.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Redcloud View Post
    Well yes, there is a Glenn Frey model Takamine on sale now.

Couldn't resist the opportunity to post mine!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Ah, lovely!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Scarlet Sun
    Is Clinton much of a guitar player? If not, why would they waste a really good one on him? Moreover, theoretically, the case could be made that the gift of a foreign-made guitar could be seen as politically appropriate when considering both the gifters and giftee, but i'm not the one who's going to make that case . . .
    Are you even kidding me here??? Waste a really good guitar on him??? This is the PRESIDENT of the United States... It was a signed guitar as a gift, not for him to play.. In fact this move was very politically incorrect as the US is in the crap hole due to people buying cheap stuff from Japan & China. Don't even get me started on this one.... If Frey was Japanese, it would be a political gesture, but this is an American band.They could certainly afford to give the President an American made guitar...Would have been more appropriate. This move was tacky..

Stuck on the Border

I thought the idea that Japanese made goods are 'cheap' was discredited long ago, but I won't say more than that. I see your point, TK, but I am sure Glenn's motives were honourable. Why should they give Clinton a guitar they didn't even play? They played Takamines. It is a souvenir of them, not some statement about America versus Japan.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I thought the idea that Japanese made goods are 'cheap' was discredited long ago, but I won't say more than that. I see your point, TK, but I am sure Glenn's motives were honourable. Why should they give Clinton a guitar they didn't even play? They played Takamines. It is a souvenir of them, not some statement about America versus Japan.
    I agree with you, FP. Clinton is enough of a musician to appreciate being given a guitar that they actually play, if not one actually played during a concert. Being given a signed acoustic in a brand they don't use would be too impersonal if not insulting. It was personal gift (as personal as a gift from a band and not individuals can be), not a political statement. Felder and Joe might use different acoustic brands, but they were played too infrequently to be counted.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.