Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn the axeman!

Default Re: Glenn the axeman!

I must admit that if I received a signed guitar from the Eagles, I would be hesitant to actually play it. What if I dinged it up? Some things are too precious for everyday use. Of course, Clinton might not be as reverential towards such a gift, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I wonder if it's something he has in one of his homes, or if it's at his Presidential Library?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Surely it was a private gift and surely it was not meant to actually be played.

They gave Prince Albert & Princess Charlene of Monaco a signed Takamine last year as well.

I hadn't had time to post my .02 cents in yet but have time tonight.

I see it from both ways... Felder is right - Taylors, Martins, etc are better made guitars than Takamines, Alvarez, Yamaha, etc etc etc no doubt. They also sound better I think, but the sound is subjective but the quality is not. But they aren't bad guitars, but they aren't all that great either. I've never played one I liked. One of the ones I did try had horrible quality control, a bridge plate that was pulling up, etc etc. The others that played ok still did not sound the best. I'm sure the guitars the Eagles are getting are going to have much more quality control - so they are playable onstage.

I also see what people are saying - Fmr. President Clinton (to my knowledge) does not play (or at least very seriously) AND it makes sense to gift something they actually USE rather than to go out and buy a top of the line Martin or something with all the bells and whistles. I think that makes the most sense.

I do personally prefer Taylor acoustics myself - they are great guitars and definitely are better made than Tak's. And you can get all Taylor models at various price points - you don't have to spend $3,000 on one (like I did, but it was worth it and still worth every penny to me today). Everything from a Parlor student guitar to a exotic wood dreadnought and everything in between. Martin acoustics are also great but I prefer the brighter tone of the Taylor to the deeper tone of a Martin or Gibson acoustic. I like a janglier acoustic sound.

What I find interesting is that in Felder's book he talked about the night where Frey and Felder were getting into it and Felder told his roadie to set the guitar outside for him to smash, and he did just that. It was a Takamine acoustic guitar. Frey saw that, and said and I quote "Typical of you to break your cheapest f*cking guitar", as if Frey himself was admitting they were not that much value or quality, especially compared to Felder's Gibson and Fender (USA) guitars. But maybe it's just me but I find that rather interesting and something I don't think many have thought of.

I think a lot of the reason they play Takamine is the endorsement deal for the band was pretty good, plus the royalties (if that's the right word) from the signature model as well for Frey. I don't think they'd play a POS guitar that would affect the quality of their performances, but I also don't think they are going to go for the best, the endorsement $$$$ plays a big part in the artist's choice of stage instruments. They may use one thing on stage (in public view) and something better in the studio or offstage. SOOOO many artists do this. They say they and even may use such and such gear onstage or in the public eye but prefer to use something else, something better everywhere else but play those models onstage for the money. It's happened a lot in the industry. Another thing that is common with amplifiers is that you will see a certain brand of amps onstage with the lights on and mic'd and looking like they are in use but behind the stage are the amps they are REALLY using and what you are hearing and they basically have those other amps onstage to look as if they are using them. Again, endorsement deals and money. I know off hand several guys who do this but I wont name names.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 01-31-2012 at 03:32 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

There is one other aspect we havent covered here. I am aware of an English artist called Rod Clements (Ex Lindisfarne) who uses cheaper versions of guitars (Squire) because on tour guitars get hammered and worn. Maybe Takamines are more hardwearing but i hardly think that the Eagles would worry about that. Maybe Takamines are more durable and can take the pace better and still sound good. But if so, why isnt everyone using them?

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I must admit that if I received a signed guitar from the Eagles, I would be hesitant to actually play it. What if I dinged it up? Some things are too precious for everyday use. Of course, Clinton might not be as reverential towards such a gift, lol.

I don't really play the black Tak that they have all signed at all because Joes sig is just where my forearm goes and the end of it began to rub off slightly. I mean to investigate getting the sigs lacquered.Its a display model for me!! But as Glenn 's sig is on a label INSIDE the blonde Tak I can play away at it and theres no damage. Guitars are sturdy enough and once it isn't dropped from a height or deliberately bashed I can't see them being damaged too much from play at home. Of course outside it could be different. I have insured both of them but I rarely take them out.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

If you have an autographed guitar & you treasure those autographs or someday want to sell it...don't play it. Even autographs signed with a Sharpie will smudge if you use it. I had tried to play one & it did slightly smudge the signature, well that ended my guitar playing! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Redcloud View Post
    There is one other aspect we havent covered here. I am aware of an English artist called Rod Clements (Ex Lindisfarne) who uses cheaper versions of guitars (Squire) because on tour guitars get hammered and worn. Maybe Takamines are more hardwearing but i hardly think that the Eagles would worry about that.
    I agree. I don't think wear and tear on the guitars is a deciding factor in the brand.

Maybe Takamines are more durable and can take the pace better and still sound good. But if so, why isnt everyone using them?
    For the same reason that everyone doesn't use the brands you prefer. Personal preference is, by its very nature, subjective.

I know I have never had a problem with the guitar sound of the Eagles when seeing them live.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Every guitar has a different sound. I guess the Takamine suits Glenn's style & his parts in the songs. Some guitar players change guitars for different songs, but some have been using the same guitar since the 70's. I see Keith Richards has a particular guitar he's been using for years, because the color on the wood is so worn off, & you can see it in old concert footage.

I doubt a player would be using a cheaper guitar for a concert for durability purposes. The sound on the Squire is very different than the Strat. It's a very personal thing. I think some players get very attached to a particular guitar & stick with it. They also always have back up guitars at concerts in case they pop a string or something, so there are usually 2 of each kind of guitar on hand. I also think that some of them are tuned slightly differently for certain songs, ( I may be mistaken on that one.)

Like I said, I think the Takamine endorsement is only with Glenn, not with the Eagles as a band, per say. If he likes that guitar & wants to endorse it, I don't have a problem with that, but apparently Felder doesn't care much for the Takamine & didn't want to give one to Bill...

Stuck on the Border

There is a great deal in Felder's book, of which this is a good example, written years after the event, when he claims he was unhappy with virtually everything the band did. Nevertheless he went along with it at the time. I hate to sound cynical but a great deal of that book was a series of digs at Glenn; regarding the Takamine deal, Felder refers to Glenn 'smiling inanely' in a promotion for it. That, in my opinion, is just a petty personal dig. That has nothing to do with whether Felder liked or disliked Takamines.

In any case, it happened, regardless of Felder's misgivings, and regardless of who the Takamine endorsement was with (Glenn or the whole band).