Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn the axeman!

Default Re: Glenn the axeman!

Well, I believe there is a Glenn Frey signature guitar made by Takamine, not an "Eagles" guitar, so to me that says the deal is with Glenn & not the band.

It is also not unusual for different band members to endorse different guitars. It's a business deal. Who knows, maybe Felder was jealous that he didn't have an endorsement deal. It's just one of the many disagreements going on with them.

BTW, just for the curious, here are the instrument credits for Glenn Frey from his solo albums; I've isolated these to his contributions for the sake of our thread's topic.

I should also note that I removed Glenn's credits for his background vocals and arrangements to focus on the instrument credits - again, for the sake of keeping the thread on-topic.

(Note: The formatting is somewhat inconsistent because I just copied and pasted these from the liner notes as listed on GFO.)

As you can see, he plays guitar on almost every song from his solo catalog.

NO FUN ALOUD
    I Found Somebody
    Lead Guitar and Organ: G.F

The One You Love
    Guitars, Electric Piano & Bass: G.F.

Partytown
    Lead Guitar and Piano: G.F.

I Volunteer
    Lead Guitar: G.F.

I've Been Born Again
    Guitars and Electronic Piano: G.F.

That Girl
    Electric Piano: G.F.

All Those Lies
    Lead Guitar and Electric Piano: G. F.

She Can't Let Go
    All instruments except percussion: G.F.

Don't Give Up
    Guitars, Clavinet, Synthesizers: G.F.
    THE ALLNIGHTER
    The Allnighter
    Electric Guitars & Electric Piano: GLENN FREY

Sexy Girl
    Bass & Electric Guitar: GLENN FREY

I Got Love
    Guitars: DUNCAN CAMERON, GLENN FREY

Somebody Else
    Electric Guitar: GLENN FREY

Lover's Moon
    Acoustic Guitar, Bass & Organ: GLENN FREY

Smuggler's Blues
    Synthesizer, Electric & Slide Guitar: GLENN FREY

Better in the U.S.A.
    Piano: BARRY BECKETT, GLENN FREY
    Electric Guitar: DUNCAN CAMERON, GLENN FREY

Living in Darkness
    Electric Guitar: GLENN FREY

New Love
    Electric Piano & Celeste: GLENN FREY

SOUL SEARCHIN'
    Livin' Right
    Bass: Glenn Frey
    Keyboards: Glenn Frey and Hawk Wolinski
    Guitar: Glenn Frey
    Percussion: Glenn Frey and Steve Forman

Some Kind of Blue
    Drums: John Robinson and Glenn Frey
    Guitar: Glenn Frey and Michael Landau
    Keyboards: Glenn Frey and Ron Skies
    Percussion: Glenn Frey

True Love
    Drums: Glenn Frey
    Keyboards: Glenn Frey, Barry Beckett and Robbie Buchanan

Can't Put Out This Fire
    Keyboards: Glenn Frey and Steve Thoma and Ron Skies
    Percussion: Steve Forman and Glenn Frey

I Did It For Your Love
    Keyboards: Glenn Frey, Hawk Wolinski and Ron Skies

Let's Pretend We're Still in Love
    Guitar: Glenn Frey and Michael Landau

Working Man
    Drums: Glenn Frey
    Guitar: Glenn FreY
    Keyboards: Glenn Frey, Hawk Wolinski, Steve Thoma and Ron Skies

Soul Searchin'
    Keyboards: Glenn Frey, Barry Beckett, Steve Nathan and Steve Thoma

Two Hearts
    Guitar: Glenn Frey, Paul Jackson, Jr.† and Bruce Gaitsch

STRANGE WEATHER
    In the liner notes, this is stated at the outset:
    All instruments played and programmed by Glenn Frey and Jay Oliver.

The exceptions as listed as the following (although, oddly, there is a separate credit for Glenn for his acoustic guitar on "Part of Me, "Part of You":

Horns: The Heart Attack Horns
    Baritone Sax: Greg Smith
    Tenor Sax: Bill Bergman
    Trumpet: John Berry
    Trumpet: Roy Wiegand

Sax solo on "River of Dreams": Al Garth
    Sax solo on "I've Got Mine": Chris Mostert
    Additional percussion: Lenny Castro
    Additional keyboards: Robby Kilgore
    Additional programming: Mike Harlow

Band Credits for "Part of Me, Part of You":
    Drums: Kenny Aronoff
    Bass: Jerry Scheff
    Guitar: Mark Goldenberg
    Organ: Ben Tench
    Piano: Scott Thurston

Acoustic Guitar: Glenn Frey
    Additional Keyboards: Jay Oliver

THE SOLO COLLECTION
    This Way to Happiness
    Guitars: Glenn Frey and Danny Grenier

Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed
    Guitars: Glenn Frey

Common Ground
    Keys: Jay Oliver and Glenn Frey

Call on Me

====================================

All of this to say that if you like what you hear from these instruments on these albums... well, it's Mr. Frey who's playing 'em. He is quite the axeman... with other talents besides!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Now, let's contrast the above with the Eagles.

While there's no specific song credits on Eagles, Desperado, or Long Road Out of Eden, there are specific credits on the rest of the albums, and they're below.

When you look at them, you can see the way Glenn handed over most of the lead guitarwork and other instruments to his bandmates. I've only listed his credits, but the rest of the band's guitarists - Leadon, Felder and Walsh - are readily and often credited for their guitarwork and other instruments. (That's why I find it hilarious that some would accuse Glenn of trying to steal credit on ICTYW, that he falsely claimed to play it in the studio when it was actually Felder. Felder is credited on a ton of songs! Why would Glenn want to "steal" credit for that one song?)

ON THE BORDER
    Already Gone
    Solo Guitars: Glenn & Don Felder

Midnight Flyer
    Slide Guitar: Glenn

Is It True
    Slide Guitar: Glenn
    ONE OF THESE NIGHTS
    Too Many Hands
    Lead Guitars: Don Felder & Glenn Frey

Hollywood Waltz
    Harmonium: Glenn Frey
    HOTEL CALIFORNIA
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Clavinet: Glenn Frey

Wasted Time
    Piano: Glenn Frey

Pretty Maids All in a Row
    Synthesizer: Joe Walsh & Glenn Frey

Try and Love Again
    Lead guitar: Glenn Frey
    THE LONG RUN
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Guitar solos by GLENN FREY

King of Hollywood
    First guitar solo by GLENN FREY

Teenage Jail
    Synthesizer solo by GLENN FREY
    =================================

I think maybe one reason he played so much on his solo albums was because he wasn't given much of a chance to shine as a guitarist in the Eagles, especially once Felder and Walsh joined. I mean, it's understandable that it would go down that way - that's why these guys were brought in, after all - but perhaps he missed it a bit.

BTW, laying it out like this shows why Glenn jokes about the bass players liking his guitar. The songs he plays lead on are Randy's and Tim's - apparently at their behest. Interesting! Perhaps it's because they were looking for a less showy, subtler lead guitar part.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Now, let's contrast the above with the Eagles.

BTW, laying it out like this shows why Glenn jokes about the bass players liking his guitar. The songs he plays lead on are Randy's and Tim's - apparently at their behest. Interesting! Perhaps it's because they were looking for a less showy, subtler lead guitar part.

Any thoughts?
    I'm guessing that as bass players, they have more of a rhythmic connection to Glenn, the traditional rhythm guitarist, than they do to the lead players. They probably have to coordinate more with Glenn musically onstage, so maybe they feel more comfortable with him. Consider the standard stage setup. Glenn always stands closest to the bassists.

Just a hunch.

Stuck on the Border

I go along with that; I would just add that he was the Eagles' rhythm guitarist & he was happy with that. Just as he was apparently happy later in the band's history to only do one lead vocal per album (I am not commenting further on what I think of that). I have no idea why he played lead on the bass players' songs (but I wrote this before I read Windeagle's post which makes sense to me).

I think the credit for POMPOY is because of the different personnel (hence 'band credit') because it had been previously recorded for the Thelma & Louise soundtrack.

The lack of credits for LROOE still annoy me. I think Glenn mainly plays acoustic guitar on that album. I don't even know if he plays any keyboards, although he is credited, just as Don is credited with drums.

Do you notice how much BASS he plays on the Soul Searchin' album! I wonder why that was?

And another item of interest: the only time the faithful Danny Grenier has played on one of Glenn's records is on TWTH.

Another question will be: will he be playing any instruments on After Hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Do you notice how much BASS he plays on the Soul Searchin' album! I wonder why that was?
    Was Soul Searchin' recorded at his home studio? If so, maybe he was playing bass because he could work on the record at his leisure, laying down tracks and overdubbing as time and energy permitted.

Also, wasn't he going through some health issues at the time? Maybe it was a do-it-yourself record because it had to be.

Of course, if it wasn't recorded at his own studio, this theory goes out the window!

Stuck on the Border

According to the credits it was recorded at a whole stack of studios. He hadn't built his Mad Dog studios in Colorado or LA then.

These are the liner notes from GFO:

Recorded at Fool On The Hill, Studio 55, Bil Schnee Studio, Ocean Way Recording, Cherokee Studios and Capitol Studios, Los Angeles; The Hit Factory and Automated Sound, New York; Muscle Shoals Sound, Muscle Shoals, AL; The Sandbox, CT

Stuck on the Border

I think that Glenn played all the harmony guitars in One Of The Nights, the song. In some very old interview I read years and years ago, Don Felder talked about the song and said something like "After Glenn does the introduction..." (talking about guitars). I believe Glenn did all the harmony guitars in the choruses too. Even if you haven't read that old interview with Felder, here's a clue, I think: Why did Glenn and Don play the OFTN harmony parts (intro and choruses) live and not Don and Joe? Because at least Bernie didn't play any of them in the studio. It's not Felder and Bernie, like I think some people believe. And if Felder had played them all, wouldn't it be more likely that he would have asked Joe to play them with him live, and not Glenn?
    Don Felder likes to tell the story of Randy being caught in a snow storm and him coming up with the bassline he later taught Randy, and that he basically arranged the song. But what he, once again, fails to mention is that Glenn played those harmony guitars that everyone remembers about the song. Another essential part Glenn doesn't get the credit for, and he doesn't seek for it.
    I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but I think that it's Glenn doing those harmony guitars in Too Many Hands too.
    And let's not forget that the whole groove of The Long Run is pretty much based on Glenn's rhythm guitar. Even Don Henley said so. Called it "the foundation". "Always that foundation", he said about Glenn.

As for bass...Are we sure that all those bass parts in his solo songs are a real bass guitar? Some of them sound like a synth bass to me.
    Last edited by chaim; 02-03-2012 at 06:09 PM.

All I have to go by are the album credits, so I'm of little help identifying synth bass, part distinctions, and the like.

I love how some Borderers are able to dissect these parts. It's very interesting to read!

FP - I'm wondering how much he'll play on After Hours as well. I understand if he doesn't play as much, but he's so talented that I'll miss it.

As for Danny Grenier - it's true he's only on one studio track, but let's not forget that he was prominent on Live in Dublin.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    All I have to go by are the album credits, so I'm of little help identifying synth bass, part distinctions, and the like.

I love how some Borderers are able to dissect these parts. It's very interesting to read!

FP - I'm wondering how much he'll play on After Hours as well. I understand if he doesn't play as much, but he's so talented that I'll miss it.

As for Danny Grenier - it's true he's only on one studio track, but let's not forget that he was prominent on Live in Dublin.

OOPS! Yes, of course Danny in on the live album! It was great to finally see him, by the way.

I am hoping that After Hours will be more about showcasing Glenn's vocals. I thought the fact that he didn't play an instrument at Fallsview on those songs was significant.