Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Glenn the axeman!

Default Re: Glenn the axeman!

Interesting that he played on all of his solo stuff - didn't know that!

And yeah Danny Grenier is a great sideman and great player. Love his playing on the Dublin DVD.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

After reading these last few posts I am just wondering why you feel it necessary to list every single guitar part that Glenn has played? He plays guitar in every show, so I don't really see it necessary to defend Glenn's guitar playing & go into every single thing he plays on every song....I'm just curious as to why some of you need to point out every single thing he has done in the Eagles. I don't think anyone has challenged the fact that Glenn can play guitar....Is it really all that important to you who is credited for each thing? Maybe it's just me, but I usually hardly read the credits for the songs.
    I think I can pretty much tell who's playing...but even then, it's not that important to me. I consider them a band, & the song as a collaboration of all of them.
    Just wondering why the "credit" is so important????

As far as i'm concerned, it's just fun to know

I introduced my post as "for the curious" - ie, it's for those who care to know such things. You see, since this is a thread entitled "Glenn the axeman," I figured many of the people reading it might actually be among those who want to know what he exactly he played guitar on.

Obviously, Topkat, you are not one of those people. That's fine, but don't begrudge those of us who are - especially in a thread dedicated to his guitar playing.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It is interesting to see or listen to how much guitar work Glenn played in the Eagles. He did a lot of lead work before OOTN. "Witchy Woman", "Earlybird", "Tryin", "Take the Devil", "Out of Control", "Certain Kind of Fool", "Already Gone", "Midnight Flyer, he did play the solo at the end of "On the Border", and "Is it True". I love his solos, not sure why but I do. I wish he played more lead but it's great that he is a multi-insturmentalist.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    After reading these last few posts I am just wondering why you feel it necessary to list every single guitar part that Glenn has played? He plays guitar in every show, so I don't really see it necessary to defend Glenn's guitar playing & go into every single thing he plays on every song....I'm just curious as to why some of you need to point out every single thing he has done in the Eagles. I don't think anyone has challenged the fact that Glenn can play guitar....Is it really all that important to you who is credited for each thing? Maybe it's just me, but I usually hardly read the credits for the songs.
    I think I can pretty much tell who's playing...but even then, it's not that important to me. I consider them a band, & the song as a collaboration of all of them.
    Just wondering why the "credit" is so important????
    A good point. My point (or one of them) was that Don Felder likes to tell people that he made One Of These Nights what it is, because he wrote the basslines. And if he opens the door to that stuff, I think it's ok to point out that Glenn did some distinctive stuff in that song too (the harmonized guitar bits). Especially when we know how much Don likes to emphasize all the bad stuff about Glenn these days.
    Also, Joe's and Don's guitar parts are so often praised that I don't think it's wrong to remind that Glenn did this and may have done that guitar part that is very distinctive. And, as we know, Don Felder is praised for the ICTYW solos, and in his book he decided to keep that myth alive by cleverly telling about his guitar playing in the song without mentioning (just a mistake, I'm sure) that he's only talking about the RHYTHM parts. So I see nothing wrong in "defending" Glenn's guitar playing in the midst of all the Don Felder and Joe praising, especially when some of that praising is going to the wrong address. A lot of people simply don't know that Glenn played this or that and praise other people (Bernie, Don or Joe) even for those parts.
    Last edited by chaim; 02-04-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Personally, I'm just interested in who played what and how the songs are put together. I love picking the songs apart to see how they work and to appreciate how the parts go together to make something that sound so good as a whole. It's not about getting or assigning credit for me. It's just curiosity.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    Personally, I'm just interested in who played what and how the songs are put together. I love picking the songs apart to see how they work and to appreciate how the parts go together to make something that sound so good as a whole. It's not about getting or assigning credit for me. It's just curiosity.
    I think it's perfectly understandable to be interested in who-played-what stuff. Personally I'm a big KISS fan, as I believe I have said before, and KISS fans always talk about who played what on KISS albums. Stanley and especially Simmons always say that who plays the instruments is beside the point, but Gene will sometimes mention that "I played rhythm guitars on this" and Paul will say, "I played bass on that" and KISS fans love to receive that information. And there are also KISS fans who offer the classic "who cares who played what??" comment, but if some people are interested in this stuff (and a LOT of people are), they should be able to talk about it and share information and thoughts. With Eagles there isn't as much mystery in this area, but still there are some cases where everything is not that clear.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone in here. I guess it's just something that isn't that important to me. I don't get it, but carry on.....I will dismiss myself from this thread

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I am also one of those that is curious about song credits - not because I want to praise one band member over another, but because I find it interesting to see how they function as a band in putting songs together. In the case of solo work, I like to know who helped and what instruments the artist played. I am one that is disappointed with the lack of credit information on Long Road Out of Eden.

I don't really care about credits from the standpoint of Person A did more than Person B, but I do think it's appropriate to try to set the record straight when there is misinformation or misunderstanding. We fans can speculate forever about such stuff, but the only factual information we have is what the credits say or what the artists themselves say, and sometimes that is not even totally reliable.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016