Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    OK, I found "Brave New World" on YouTube. I'll tell you why I like it. First, there's that driving opening, and the sense of building drama that goes all through the verses. The chorus, which begins with "Don't worry darlin'" (the first example of which is at 1:17) is beauty and comfort amidst the chaos. For our guitar aficionados: The guitar solo at 3:05 is hot, IMHO. As far as vocals go, listen to how he tears into the phrase "BRAVE new world!" at 4:30. The song ending with a prominent piano part starting about 5:30, the other instruments slowly fading or dropping away entirely, finishes off that cinematic feel... like now they've picked up the pieces and are walking off into the sunset to face their future as the credits roll.

Awesomeness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70U7KW1HcWg

The Shakespeare reference doesn't hurt, either.
    You beat me to it Soda! I too think BNW is a brilliant song, and it is one of my favourite of all Glenn 's solo efforts. I find the music incredibly powerful throughout the song, as well as the imagery. From the start I can sense the impending disaster and doom. Then the gentle reassurance that he will look after her. I LOVE 'you will always be my girl......' it makes me swoon every time I hear it!

It also mirrors the current economic climate in Ireland. Myself and my 'car mate' we're listening to it a while ago and just felt that the lines

'Everything that we worked for they took from our hands..... '

are soooo appropriate. We hand back half our salary each week in taxes and levies and then pay more charges out of the balance!

But then Glenn reassures me that it will all be over soon and to remember that I will always be his girl. Ok. I can live with that!

Anyway I guess what I'm saying (between all the ranting) is that I really love this song and won't be voting it off just yet!

Problem is............. I love them all!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    It also mirrors the current economic climate in Ireland. Myself and my 'car mate' we're listening to it a while ago and just felt that the lines

'Everything that we worked for they took from our hands..... '

are soooo appropriate. We hand back half our salary each week in taxes and levies and then pay more charges out of the balance!

But then Glenn reassures me that it will all be over soon and to remember that I will always be his girl. Ok. I can live with that!

Anyway I guess what I'm saying (between all the ranting) is that I really love this song and won't be voting it off just yet!

Problem is............. I love them all!
    Funny you should mention that, GA. I was just thinking about the song in relation to the whole "Occupy" movement in the US recently. The same line came to mind. Funny how a 20-year-old song can still be so relevant.

Glad to hear other folks praising BNW. I hope it makes it far!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I have no idea why there are so many votes for Common Ground. It's an incredibly uplifting song. I can't understand why others don't see that. Oh well. My vote will not count so I will save the song I did want to vote for and vote for The Heat Is On.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I have no idea why there are so many votes for Common Ground. It's an incredibly uplifting song. I can't understand why others don't see that.
    As I said in a prior post, I appreciate the sentiment. It is indeed uplifting. However, it takes more than a nice message to elevate a song over the likes of BNW. JMHO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

OK; I love BNW too but parts of it I find rather cliched. I don't like the 'don't worry darlin'/this will all be over soon/remember you will always be my girl' part very much whereas Common Ground rocks from start to finish.
    Especially when he gets to this part:

For the mountain high or a city street
    It's the same old world below our feet
    It's time to wake up, people, and take a look around
    We all stand on common ground
    It's time for every woman and every man
    To hold the future in our hands
    Wake up and look around

Incidentally you have 'for' the mountain high there & I hear it as 'on'.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, as I said, I love Brave New World too, but I don't put it on the same pedestal as Soda - that's for sure. I definitely don't think it is among the best songs in this game. To me, it is a better than average song, but it is not a great song lyrically, musically, or melodically. On the other hand, Common Ground is much more than just "a nice message" as Soda characterizes it and is superior overall to BNW. JMHO

But, obviously, majority rules here so that's really all that matters at this point.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I vote for The Heat is On.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well, as I said, I love Brave New World too, but I don't put it on the same pedestal as Soda - that's for sure. I definitely don't think it is among the best songs in this game. To me, it is a better than average song, but it is not a great song lyrically, musically, or melodically. On the other hand, Common Ground is much more than just "a nice message" as Soda characterizes it and is superior overall to BNW. JMHO

But, obviously, majority rules here so that's really all that matters at this point.
    Of course majority rules; I'm just surprised that Common Ground is about to depart so soon with barely a whimper.

I'm going with
    Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed