Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

You can argue that it's nitpicking & it probably wasn't worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Hey! Sorry
    And back.
    I've had my favourites voted off early in most of the Survivors, so have had to develop a very thick skin, and I don't take anything personally.

I cast my vote forWho's Been Sleeping In My Bed
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Not that its an easy choice but this round I vote for Brave New World to be eliminated....

Well since this was my other choice last round.... I vote for Call on Me

My vote is for "River of dreams".........SORRY!!!!!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Run, GH, Run!!!

Although, you don't have to worry about me cause I'm still recuperating over the last round. I still can't believe the awesome Common Ground went down in this game before WBSIMB or Call On Me. Now, again I like both of these songs too, but not nearly as much as Common Ground. Oh My! But, I guess I'll get over my shock and dismay soon.

Speaking of WBSIMB - the song does rock live. I actually think the 'callin' up the hospital, darlin' and gettin' a room with two beds in your name' lines are quite clever and funny, but I do agree that the sentiment is uncool. When I'm ready to vote, this will definitely be my choice if my vote will help eliminate the song.

Now, as far as these early votes for The Heat Is On - I'll just say this. Although I agree the song isn't a lyrical masterpiece, this song simply rocks. The vocals, music, and melody are so freakin' catchy that's it's no wonder people can't get it out of their head. It's still around and recognizable after over 25 years - a true anthem at sporting events. And here in the U.S., a summer cannot go by without the phrase and song being played or referenced repeatedly in weather reports.

ETA: Got this timely Google Alert today regarding The Heat Is On. May not be your thing, but apparently drag queens like the song too according to this article about a recent drag party in Chicago. I just quoted the part in the article that refers to THIO ...

Former Fabulous Lady of Fitness Jyldo (Jyl Fehrenkamp) executed choreographic aerolesque (burlobics?) with drum-majorette precision to Glenn Frey’s “The Heat is On,” sporting a brief, solid gold ensemble and brandishing two rainbow fans.
    http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-cultu...t-the-whistler
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 01-28-2012 at 03:31 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I know, I know...I nearly didn't post.....but as much as I LOVE the video, the song itself is not one of my favorites....I also very much love the "rocking" side of Glenn...like The heat is on, WBSIMB, Call on me, etc......

Oh my gosh, River of Dreams is one of my very favorites! I adore it! It's absolutely lovely! I hope it makes it at least to the top three, if not the final round.

I also want The Heat Is On to last longer. It rocks hard and it brings a smile to even the most casual of fans. Indeed, due to its playing at various sport events, weather reports, etc, it definitely has more recognition than any other Glenn Frey solo song. In fact, I think it may live on in this manner for decades to come! His name has even become conjoined with the term in popular culture. How many times have I read/heard something along the lines of "As Glenn Frey would say, 'The Heat Is On'!"

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    I know, I know...I nearly didn't post.....but as much as I LOVE the video, the song itself is not one of my favorites....I also very much love the "rocking" side of Glenn...like The heat is on, WBSIMB, Call on me, etc......
    If it's any consolation, GH, I'm with you on River Of Dreams, even though I'm not voting. I WANT to love it. I really do. I love the instrumental opening, and the sentiment, and the video is adorable, but... I just can't get past the phrasing. He crams so many syllables into each line that I just can't sing it. I think I'm unusually picky because I lived for 6 years with a songwriter who was fanatical about his phrasing. It bugs me because the song has so much potential except for that one key element.

Please don't hate me, anyone! I know the song is a crowd pleaser around here. This is just my own particular quirk.