Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Oh my gosh, River of Dreams is one of my very favorites! I adore it! It's absolutely lovely! I hope it makes it at least to the top three, if not the final round.

I also want The Heat Is On to last longer. It rocks hard and it brings a smile to even the most casual of fans. Indeed, due to its playing at various sport events, weather reports, etc, it definitely has more recognition than any other Glenn Frey solo song. In fact, I think it may live on in this manner for decades to come! His name has even become conjoined with the term in popular culture. How many times have I read/heard something along the lines of "As Glenn Frey would say, 'The Heat Is On'!"
    Yes, THIO is a big hit, is fun live & makes people smile. He sings it beautifully. I cannot comment on its use in the United States. It was a minor hit here & it never caught on as a catchphrase. However, in terms of how good a SONG it is, it is well behind every other remaining song in this game except for WBSIMB as far as I am concerned.

I will vote again for:

Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Yes, THIO is a big hit, is fun live & makes people smile. He sings it beautifully. I cannot comment on its use in the United States. It was a minor hit here & it never caught on as a catchphrase. However, in terms of how good a SONG it is, it is well behind every other remaining song in this game except for WBSIMB as far as I am concerned.
    I beg to differ; I think that THIO is also up there in terms of how "good" a song it is. There's a reason so many people love it so much. That great, instantly recognizable sax part; the catchy melody; that rockin' beat that makes you want to move; the song's driving energy; the way the chorus amps it up; the way everyone loves to shout "The Heat is...ON" when it's played live; and of course, the way he sings the song...hot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mU-YSk32I[/ame]

Tell me, do you feel it?

Oh-woah-ho indeed.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I like The Heat Is On. I prefer all the other songs in this game to it, that's all.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I like THIO! It's one of the ones I used listen to (and try to exercise to) in the 80s! After Niagara Falls......... I couldn't vote it off, even though I think it was half over when I realised what Glenn was actually singing.

I love them all. This round I might as well stick with 'Ive Got Mine'.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    However, in terms of how good a SONG it is, it is well behind every other remaining song in this game except for WBSIMB as far as I am concerned.
    FP - when I read this statement it sounds to me as if you are saying The Heat Is On isn't very good. Maybe, that's not how you meant it, but you are basically saying it is an inferior song to most other songs in this game.

When someone says they don't like the song, then that is fair enough because that's totally subjective. But if they say it's not a good song, I would have to disagree. If you don't think this is a good song, I guess your criteria is definitely different from mine. For me, a song doesn't have to be thought-provoking or provocative to be a good song. It can be fun, upbeat, and contagious like Soda said in her post.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I vote for The Heat is On.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    FP - when I read this statement it sounds to me as if you are saying The Heat Is On isn't very good. Maybe, that's not how you meant it, but you are basically saying it is an inferior song to most other songs in this game.

When someone says they don't like the song, then that is fair enough because that's totally subjective. But if they say it's not a good song, I would have to disagree. If you don't think this is a good song, I guess your criteria is definitely different from mine. For me, a song doesn't have to be thought-provoking or provocative to be a good song. It can be fun, upbeat, and contagious like Soda said in her post.
    OK then. I like the song. I don't like it as much as the other songs in this game. I hope that helps. I did actually say that a couple of posts ago. I'm not going to argue whether the song is 'good' or not. It's a catchy pop song. I don't know whether it deserves to be treated with such reverence.

Hey, discussion is all part of the game, FP! I personally enjoy debate and don't take it personally if someone disagrees.

Re: "I've Got Mine" - I love the way this song develops; it has an urgency and intensity to it and the chorus, while serious, has a catchy hook. Also, I find it very interesting the way the third verse is structured; it presents the realistic justifications of rich folks stated in the first person rather than presenting their attitudes in the third person like he does elsewhere in the song. It adds another dimension to the song, IMHO.

The video for it is rather unimpressive, but listen to the song and judge for yourself:

http://music.yahoo.com/videos/Glenn+...+Mine--2162820

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The link Soda has given for 'I've got mine' only works in 'certain areas', but a live version is (currently) available on You Tube as music-only.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACBMyrV2Bs[/ame]
    Last edited by UK TimFan; 01-29-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Corrected a fact.