Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's Role in Writing Hotel California

Default Re: Felder's Role in Writing Hotel California

With all due respect to Don as a guitarist, a singer he is not..sorry, but I think he should just not sing Hotel California..it's a Henley song, I watched a clip of him at some awards ceremony last night (from January I think) and it was off key, lacked power and the magic.
    I See what You see...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BramwenR View Post
    With all due respect to Don as a guitarist, a singer he is not..sorry, but I think he should just not sing Hotel California..it's a Henley song, I watched a clip of him at some awards ceremony last night (from January I think) and it was off key, lacked power and the magic.
    But when he sings it, some people probably start to think that he wrote the melodies/lyrics too. And if they do, I'm sure that doesn't bother Don.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    But when he sings it, some people probably start to think that he wrote the melodies/lyrics too. And if they do, I'm sure that doesn't bother Don.
    Do they also think that about the other Eagles songs he sings such as Already Gone & Heartache Tonight?

If Felder wishes to perpetuate this myth about the authorship of HC, this is up to him, but it is also up to people who know it is a myth to continue to point this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Do they also think that about the other Eagles songs he sings such as Already Gone & Heartache Tonight?

If Felder wishes to perpetuate this myth about the authorship of HC, this is up to him, but it is also up to people who know it is a myth to continue to point this out.
    I think people who go see Felder live know the story about HC, as well as the other Eagle songs he may sing. When someone sings a song, it doesn't mean they are claiming they wrote it. People sing songs written by others all the time. I think his fans are more into his guitar playing, & that is why they are there. Felder is not the greatest singer, but his guitar playing is superb. JMO

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I think people who go see Felder live know the story about HC, as well as the other Eagle songs he may sing. When someone sings a song, it doesn't mean they are claiming they wrote it. People sing songs written by others all the time. I think his fans are more into his guitar playing, & that is why they are there. Felder is not the greatest singer, but his guitar playing is superb. JMO
    You are correct, and I didn't say that he's making such claims by singing it. I just said, kind of jokingly, that it's probably a nice bonus for him if someone thinks he contributed a lot to the lyrics and melodies too.

Stuck on the Border

Going through interviews in the Rock's Backpages website, like I said in another thread. Here's an interesting quote from an interview with Don F - from 1980. I don't remember anybody mention(ing) it.

We actually recorded the basic track three times. I wrote it at home on my Teac four-track, and I did all the guitar lines and the melody and presented it to the band. It was written in e-minor, but as Don and Glenn and I worked on the lyrics and the vocal arrangement, it turned out we needed it to be in B-minor. We recut the basic track twice in B-minor which is a terrible key to play guitar in. It took us ten or twelve days just to get the basic tracks together.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Going through interviews in the Rock's Backpages website, like I said in another thread. Here's an interesting quote from an interview with Don F - from 1980. I don't remember anybody mention(ing) it.

We actually recorded the basic track three times. I wrote it at home on my Teac four-track, and I did all the guitar lines and the melody and presented it to the band. It was written in e-minor, but as Don and Glenn and I worked on the lyrics and the vocal arrangement, it turned out we needed it to be in B-minor. We recut the basic track twice in B-minor which is a terrible key to play guitar in. It took us ten or twelve days just to get the basic tracks together.
    This was a long time ago. He no longer claims he had anything to do with the lyrics. As for the melody I am prepared to say that he came up with some of it, but not all of it, after Glenn's statement in HOTE that the song was completed by himself & Henley based on Felder's opening chord progression. And I am going no further than that, because everybody, Felder included, wants to push their own agenda & the entire truth will never be known.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BramwenR View Post

I agree...singing isn't his strong suit..lead singing especiallyjmo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This was a long time ago. He no longer claims he had anything to do with the lyrics. As for the melody I am prepared to say that he came up with some of it, but not all of it, after Glenn's statement in HOTE that the song was completed by himself & Henley based on Felder's opening chord progression. And I am going no further than that, because everybody, Felder included, wants to push their own agenda & the entire truth will never be known.
    I was not aware he ever said that. Is there a quote of him saying that he wrote the lyrics?

Banned

All this talk about writer's credit and how the actual music doesn't count has me somewhat confused. Here's what I don't get:

• Vanilla Ice was sued by Queen over the use of one single simple bassline from their song "Under Pressure" in his song "Ice, Ice Baby."

• MC Hammer was sued by Rick James over using part of the music from "Superfreak" in "U Can't Touch This."

• Weird Al had to pay Coolio for using the music from "Gangsta's Paradise" in his parody "Amish Paradise."
    In all three of these examples, the original songs were recognized by the courts as the original artists' property (and royalties were paid to the owner) based soley on the music. Lyrics never even came into it! So tell me again how it is that the person who wrote the music of a song should not be given songwriting credit? I really believe that is incorrect.

Clarification: Not saying the person who wrote the music is the COMPLETE owner of the song but a co-owner, along with the originator of the lyrics.
    Last edited by randymeisnerrocks; 01-24-2014 at 02:14 PM.