Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Felder's Role in Writing Hotel California

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Felder's Role in Writing Hotel California

If that doesn't spell it out clearly, I don't know what would!

Thanks UtW!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Oh gosh, are we rehashing this up again for the millionth time.??? Was Irving there? Don't think so. It is what it is.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for posting that, UTW. I don't remember if that was ever posted before or not, but we appreciate when our members find both old and new stuff to post. So TK, I understand if you aren't interested in rehashing the subject, but please don't speak for all our members here. And I don't think any of us knows if Irving was there or not. Since the song was written over the course of many months, I'm sure he wasn't there all the time. However, as the band's manager, I presume he had a front row seat and certainly felt familiar enough with what happened to speak about it. As UTW said, Irving's comments are consistent with what Henley and Frey have said about the writing of the song over the years.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I'm sort of in the middle. I think Topkat has a point there too. Managers don't always remember (or even know) things correctly. It's possible that "Irv" believes what he said, but his mind has created a new "memory" over the years, especially since this "battle" started. But it's also possible that he remembers exactly how it went down - Don F's original tape without vocal melodies etc. So, while "Irv's" comment certainly gives food for thought, personally I still think that either "side" could be correct. Personally I think that Don F's demo was more complete than what "Irv" says there (I believe that a lot of the arrangement was already there), while Don F has exaggerated the completeness of his initial idea (like the solos at the end and vocal melodies).

Stuck on the Border

I have no doubt that Azoff is giving the official line which corresponds to Henley's version. My guess is he would represent Henley's interests before anyone else's and in this case, he was writing explicitly about Henley's writing process. Irving probably wasn't there for any of the song-writing sessions for HC but he may well have heard Felder's tape so his comments can't be dismissed on that basis.

Put it this way, we've heard about the creation of Hotel California from Don Felder, Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and Bill Szymszyk. This is just another view.

As for rehashing old topics, I don't see the harm in posting what appears to be additional information on a subject. If you don't want to revisit it, there's no need to open the thread.

Don Felder has said many times he had solos on the demo tape that Henley made him copy note for note from the demo tape. I'm inclined to believe him... So I doubt it was just a raw chord progression.