Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's Role in Writing Hotel California

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Felder's Role in Writing Hotel California

Wow- I've never been a Paul Simon fan, this article made me happy I'm not! What an *ss! What a shame they didn't get credit for that song. Guess it proves that what's written on the liner notes isn't always fact.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Wow- I've never been a Paul Simon fan, this article made me happy I'm not! What an *ss! What a shame they didn't get credit for that song. Guess it proves that what's written on the liner notes isn't always fact.
    Certain YES members and one Status Quo member have complained about how the credits often don't tell the whole story of who wrote the songs in their bands! In fact Rick Wakeman once said, "Never believe the credits on albums", referring to YES albums.

Just because someone is claiming credit for a song in some interview, does NOT mean it's true...If he had any real claim to the song, he would have sued. Sorry, not buying this story. Paul Simon doesn't need to claim a song for himself, when he has so many hits.
    Anybody can say anything, doesn't mean it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post

Just because someone is claiming credit for a song in some interview, does NOT mean it's true...If he had any real claim to the song, he would have sued. Sorry, not buying this story. Paul Simon doesn't need to claim a song for himself, when he has so many hits.
    Anybody can say anything, doesn't mean it's the truth.
    I agree but I also can't see it being made up just to pick on Mr. Simon. I did some research after reading it this morning and see several articles and different times it's been brought up in interviews over the years. What purpose would they have to make up a story like that and about him being in the studio with no material, especially since it doesn't look as if they've changed their story at all over the years. Just saying.....

I agree but I also can't see it being made up just to pick on Mr. Simon. I did some research after reading it this morning and see several articles and different times it's been brought up in interviews over the years. What purpose would they have to make up a story like that and about him being in the studio with no material, especially since it doesn't look as if they've changed their story at all over the years. Just saying.....
    First of all I find it so hard to believe he came with "no material". The guy is a freekin' musical genius.
    Why would he make it up? To trash a major songwriter, with way more fame & success than he has....Like I said JEALOUSY....
    Anybody can go around & spread a story. To call him a "colossal failure" just tells me it's sour grapes. There are tons of rumors out there.
    He obviously doesn't like the guy, but Simon doesn't need any accolades from him. Simon probably just laughs it off, as he should.

First of all I find it so hard to believe he came with "no material". The guy is a freekin' musical genius.
    Why would he make it up? To trash a major songwriter, with way more fame & success than he has....Like I said JEALOUSY....
    Anybody can go around & spread a story. To call him a "colossal failure" just tells me it's sour grapes. There are tons of rumors out there.
    He obviously doesn't like the guy, but Simon doesn't need any accolades from him. Simon probably just laughs it off, as he should.
    Ok, calm down. I see your passion for Mr. Simon & understand your need to defend him which is quite fine but I, myself, do choose to believe the story which is quite fine also. Only a few people know the true story and they're sticking to their stories.

I'm sure there are lots of people who feel they don't get the credit that they deserve. It probably happens a lot more than we ever hear about. It's up to them whether or not they want to take it to a lawsuit, or spread rumors about the artist. I think if someone feels that strongly about their contribution, they would take it to the next level. If not, then they should just shut up. To badmouth artists or spread stories is just pathetic and only reflects poorly on themselves. . If your contributions are valid....then tell it to the judge!
    This guy should have something better to discuss in an interview than this.

If they didn't write any lyrics or melody, they can't sue. That doesn't mean the story isn't true.

Stuck on the Border

At the time Graceland was released Paul's career had been in something of a trough, with Hearts & Bones, a commercial failure. Graceland took him back to the top.

Hearts & Bones may not have been his most successful album, but his career was hardly over. This was a time when disco was prominent & every career has it's slower years. He wrote all the songs & stared in the movie, "One Trick Pony"
    Warner Brother's didn't even want to release Graceland.

If you want to believe this guys story that Simon stole his songs, be my guest. I doubt it. He has zero proof. He can talk all he wants. Simon credited many people on the Graceland album. He could have sued, but obviously he doesn't think he has a case or he would have.