Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey on Miami Vice

Default Re: Glenn Frey on Miami Vice

That stinks! I just watched it last night and he's really good in it. When I first saw it, I didn't realize he was having a crazy Vietnam flashback when he was telling Crockett to shoot the street thugs. Once I got the show in high quality and saw his face - I got it. It added a whole new level to it.

I know this is a poor substitute, but you can see a few short clips here:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/.../miamivice.htm

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    That stinks! I just watched it last night and he's really good in it. When I first saw it, I didn't realize he was having a crazy Vietnam flashback when he was telling Crockett to shoot the street thugs. Once I got the show in high quality and saw his face - I got it. It added a whole new level to it.

I know this is a poor substitute, but you can see a few short clips here:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/.../miamivice.htm
    I love his performance in that episode. My favorite scene is the one where he and Crockett are back in the room, talking about how many buddies they lost in Vietnam. You just want to give him a hug.

I know. That whole segment is great - it's one of the two I have on the site. When they come in, Glenn's character Jimmy is so blase about Tubbs being captured that he's lighting up a cigarette when Crockett comes out of nowhere, throws him against the wall in anger and frustration, and Jimmy barely reacts. He doesn't even let his cigarette drop. He just talks Crockett down and that's when you find out that his attitude comes from seeing so many friends die in Vietnam.

You know, this is a bit off-topic, but it seems the entertainment industry today for the most part doesn't want to go there with the veterans of the wars in the Middle East. Yeah, it's discussed on the news, but you don't have characters in shows talking about it. By contrast, I remember in the 80s, every drama had a Vietnam vet in it and some were the stars (Miami Vice, Magnum PI, etc). Heck, The A-Team was built around it. I wonder if we'll get shows like that once we have more distance from the wars in the Gulf, or if the entertainment industry will continue to shy away from the issue. After all, the attitudes towards servicemen now is a lot different than the attitudes towards them in the 60s and 70s. They don't get spit on by protestors anymore.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I know. That whole segment is great - it's one of the two I have on the site. When they come in, Glenn's character Jimmy is so blase about Tubbs being captured that he's lighting up a cigarette when Crockett comes out of nowhere, throws him against the wall in anger and frustration, and Jimmy barely reacts. He doesn't even let his cigarette drop. He just talks Crockett down and that's when you find out that his attitude comes from seeing so many friends die in Vietnam.

You know, this is a bit off-topic, but it seems the entertainment industry today for the most part doesn't want to go there with the veterans of the wars in the Middle East. Yeah, it's discussed on the news, but you don't have characters in shows talking about it. By contrast, I remember in the 80s, every drama had a Vietnam vet in it and some were the stars (Miami Vice, Magnum PI, etc). Heck, The A-Team was built around it. I wonder if we'll get shows like that once we have more distance from the wars in the Gulf, or if the entertainment industry will continue to shy away from the issue. After all, the attitudes towards servicemen now is a lot different than the attitudes towards them in the 60s and 70s. They don't get spit on by protestors anymore.
    I think it's the 20-year cycle. M.A.S.H., about Korea, came out in the 70s. In the 80s, they started talking about Vietnam, including putting out shows like China Beach and Tour of Duty. We might have a little way to go yet timewise before they'll come around to the various Gulf wars and Afghanistan.

Border Desperado The Disco Strangler's Avatar

That sounds like a really good episode. I wish we had Miami Vice reruns on the TV.

Cool Re: Glenn Frey on Miami Vice

I just rented Disc 5-Season 1 of Miami Vice just to see this episode with Glenn in it. Whew! The heat coming out of my TV when he came onscreen! Lord have mercy! Fan me off.

Seriously though, he was good on that show. I just wished that he could have made it to the end.

Stuck on the Border

In the UK, it's possible to rent just Disc 6 of Series 1, which is the one with Smuggler's Blues.

There's a writeup of the episode at CHUD: http://www.chud.com/51327/the-miami-vice-experience-15/

(I'm still working my way through Eagles history).

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

At 4 PM today, on an obscure channel called "Esquire" The Smuggler's Blues episode is being re-aired. I'm watching while I write out my Christmas cards.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

So, 4:00 your time is 3 here and I'm still at work! Dang!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Darn!!! I'm heading home at that time.