Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Live in Dallas"

Default Celebration of "Live in Dallas"

Randy's first live album "Live in Dallas" was released 10 years ago today. The album was recorded 20 years prior to its release in December of 1982.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Default Re: Celebration of "Live in Dallas"

I noticed that, like the Eagles, his live recordings don't seem to deviate much from the studio cuts. What do you think?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Happy 10th anniversary to "Live in Dallas"!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I noticed that, like the Eagles, his live recordings don't seem to deviate much from the studio cuts. What do you think?
    I agree. Randy didn't like to change up his songs from the originals at live shows. I know when he did the Poco reunion back in 1989 he had to change some of his lyrics because Richie Furay wasn't comfortable with them. He wasn't too happy about that. Also, according to Charlie Rich Jr., Randy was a stickler when it came to rehearsing. I think its safe to say that he wanted the live versions to sound as close to the studio versions as possible.

I definitely think he succeeded. I have the live album along with his studio albums on my iPod, and if it's on shuffle sometimes I wouldn't know the difference unless I hear talking/clapping!

Hmm, I think I've heard the bit about changing lyrics before, but I can't remember what they were. Maybe "My Lord" in "Take It Easy" (taking the Lord's name in vain)? Perhaps the "nothing to believe in" line from "Take It To the Limit" (as opposed to having faith in God)? I'm not sure what other songs they performed. I am on the lookout for these things all the time so I know which songs to skip if my mother is in the car.

Hmm, I think I've heard the bit about changing lyrics before, but I can't remember what they were. Maybe "My Lord" in "Take It Easy" (taking the Lord's name in vain)? Perhaps the "nothing to believe in" line from "Take It To the Limit" (as opposed to having faith in God)? I'm not sure what other songs they performed. I am on the lookout for these things all the time so I know which songs to skip if my mother is in the car.
    The lyrics Furay was uncomfortable with were "I had myself a tall one waiting at the bar. I didn't want to leave here til I had her in the car" from Hearts on Fire.

You know what, I was going to put that one, but I thought that you could explain away those lyrics by saying he was just going to give her a ride. At least that's what I would tell my mom.

You know what, I was going to put that one, but I thought that you could explain away those lyrics by saying he was just going to give her a ride. At least that's what I would tell my mom.
    Yeah I know but Richie knew what it meant so it had to be changed.

As far as I know that was the only song of Randy's that Richie had a problem with. The songs he did live with Poco would've been Nature of Love, Nothin' to Hide, Take It to the Limit, Hearts on Fire and possibly Rough Edges. The lyrics to the three Poco songs were preapproved by Richie before they were recorded (I know that a line in Nature of Love had to be changed prior to recording the song.) As far as I know he didn't have a problem with TITTL and if he did he didn't say anything.

To bring this thread back to "Live in Dallas" here's a track from the album

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Tdwub0Ncs[/ame]

I never heard this album. That track sounds great. Is the album still available?