Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed

Good grief, Davy was only 19 when The Monkees was on tv!

Loved that video Soda. What a cutie he was.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    I read a cryptic quote online today. Davy and Peter were being interviewed last year and in typical Monkee jokey fashion, Peter said "Davy used to be a teen heartthrob". And Davy responded "And now I'm just a coronary."
    Did you read it before or after? Either way, that's kinda creepy!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

More than any other group, I credit The Monkees with my deep fascination with music. At age 4, I never missed an episode. Their first album was the first non-Disney record I owned. My friends and I played "The Monkees" for hours, air-guitaring with tennis rackets and singing into pretend microphones and restarting that poor record over and over and over again.

Mike Nesmith was my favorite, but Davy Jones was irresistible. I am so sad today.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - this is so sad and shocking. I really enjoyed reading everyone's 'Monkees' stories. Like most of you, I was a big fan as well. I just finished listening to Piers Morgan interview Micky Dolenz, who remained lifelong friends with Davy.

R.I.P. Davy.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I was just sick when I read this. I was surprised to learn that many other Borderers feel the same way as I do about Davy & have had similar experiences. I, like Brooke, was 9 when I first saw The Monkees. I immediately feel in love with Davy. He was my first crush too! I never missed the show & would sit enraptured during each episode.

For some reason I had the More of The Monkees album before I got The Monkees. I remember receiving The Monkees on my 10th birthday. My Dad had taken me to Expo 67 in Montreal when he went there on a business trip. The friends that we were staying with had a bit of a celebration for me. I was thrilled, with the album, not the party. I still have them, as well as the rest of their albums. I played them over & over again. I'm surprised my parents never complained.

One of the great disappointments (okay I'm exaggerating just a little) was not being allowed to stay up late to watch Davy when he made a guest appearance on Laugh In . I beggged & pleaded to no avail. It was very tramatic for a 10 year old.

I received a copy of Davy's first album "David Jones" that he recorded before he joined the Monkees. The songs on the album were quite different than those that The Monkees sang. I loved it just the same.

I, too, thought when I heard the news that a part of my childhood has died. I can't bring myself to watch any of the posted videos tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm beginning to tear up. RIP Davy.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

So sad. I loved the Monkees. Always watched the tv show - and always got mad if anyone interrupted me during the show - lol. I actually went to see Davy and Mickey in a theater production of The Point in London - eons ago. I made my Dad take me and my friend to the show for my birthday. It was silly but I loved it. Needless to say I only had eyes for Davy and Mickey. RIP Davy.

I am very sorry to learn this news. The Monkees never had the same impact on me as they did all of you, but I always enjoyed their hits played on local radio in the "good ol' days". I love "Daydream Believer", "I'm A Believer" (which has always been part of my show repertoire), "Last Train To Clarksville", "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" and "Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow".

During the last two weeks I was visiting a friend, and she had the radio on on 567 Cape Talk, a local station that is principally a talk radio station, but they play "Solid Gold" from 10am to 7pm on weekends. They played someone else's version of "Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow", and I mentioned to my friend that The Monkees originally performed it and I preferred their version.

We've never seen any of The Monkees' television series in South Africa - at least not as far as I know. From all your stories here, it seems we have missed out.

RIP Davy Jones.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Just to add another note - my older sister texted me this morning to say that the Monkees reminded her so much of the way we were in 1986 that she cries when the tributes come on - we were all such fans and the Monkees brought us such joy.

Last night, I posted about this on Facebook, and my two best friends from middle school who I haven't talked to in years posted replies to me about it. One of them attended the Astroworld concert with me. After all this time, Davy Jones' death helped us connect again. The fervor faded as we got older, but the fandom and the memories that come with it never died.

Comparisons to Whitney Houston's recent death are inevitable. On that topic, I just want to say that while my friends and I all listened to Whitney Houston, her death didn't cause friends and family members to text, post, and call each other and cry. Davy's death did. He was tied very tightly to the hearts of many in a way that you don't see every day. Gosh, we will miss him.

Davy's official site has a lovely tribute to him: http://davyjones.net/

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

Comparisons to Whitney Houston's recent death are inevitable. On that topic, I just want to say that while my friends and I all listened to Whitney Houston, her death didn't cause friends and family members to text, post, and call each other and cry. Davy's death did. He was tied very tightly to the hearts of many in a way that you don't see every day. Gosh, we will miss him.

Davy's official site has a lovely tribute to him: http://davyjones.net/
    Soda, so true for me as well. Love your new avi in tribute to Davy!

So very sad to hear the news. 66 is no age.

My Mum had the biggest crush on him when she was young. My grandparents like to tease her about when she was a little girl (about five or six) and they found her sitting in front of the TV with tears streaming down her face. She was watching The Monkees. When they asked what was the matter, she wailed "But Mum, I just love him!"

Nancy, your avatar is beautiful and a very fitting tribute. Davy was a real cutie and The Monkees made life that little bit brighter.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--