Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed

Default Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed

Davy Jones, of the Monkees has died of a heart attack at age 66. Very sad

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/davy-j...2#.T05tDvFmJ9t

Default Re: Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed

Oh no! I love the Monkees and nowadays, 66 is an early age to die.

When I was a child and they showed The Monkees on MTV, I fell in love. "Daydream Believer" was my favorite song. Their 1986 concert at Astroworld was the first rock concert I remember attending. It was general admission and my younger sister and I begged our mother to allow us to wait in line for hours so we could be up front (sounds familiar, huh).

My family bought its first computer that year, and unsure what to do with it, I decided to type out all the lyrics to all the Monkees' songs on it.... I called it "The Monkee Treasury of Lyrics," lol. It was my first connection between music and computer technology. This was before widespread internet, obviously, so I just did it for myself and my friends who were interested. 12 years later when the internet had exploded with amateur websites, I starting making sites featuring song lyrics and more for my favorite groups.. and they are accessible to anyone around the world who cares to take a look. The EOC network is the culmination of that. It all started with The Monkees.

First Whitney, now Davy. I am heartbroken.

RIP.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU615FaODCg[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Oh, this makes me sad. Davy was the earliest crush I think I ever had. I feel like part of my childhood just died.

Nancy, I remember when MTV used to show the old TV show. Tom was born in 1986 and I used to sit up in the middle of the night nursing him and to stay awake, I would turn on MTV and/or Nickolodeon because they always seemed to be showing the Monkees. It got to the point where as soon as the theme song would come on, Tom would stop nursing and turn towards the TV where that familiar song was coming from.

I used to love the way Davy said Peter Tork's name...Petah. That was the primary reason why I chose to name my youngest son, Peter.

Steve and both of my boys have called me today to see if I'd heard the news. They know what a Monkees geek I am. I'm sure Peter is telling the story today of how he got his name!
    [

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Awwwwwww how sad. I loved Davy and the Monkees and watched the show on tv in 1965 (I was 9!). Loved it so much and looked forward to it every week. I loved Daydream Believer, I'm a Believer, and Last Train to Clarksville.

I never got to see him live. What a treat Soda!

If I remember correctly, our own DonFan actually got to see him at some kind of festival a few years ago.

RIP Davy.

ETA: I was 9 not 10 as I first posted!
    Last edited by Brooke; 02-29-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    If I remember correctly, our own DonFan actually got to see him at some kind of festival a few years ago.
    She got a photo with him and an autograph! When I told her what a big fan I was, she gave me a copy of the photo. I still have it. I sent her a text as soon as I heard.

Molly, what a sweet story.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

How Sad!! I remember watching reruns of the show when it was on TV Land. RIP

I also grew up watching The Monkees. Davy Jones was my first crush. I thought he was the most adorable guy on the planet. Watching that video of "Daydream Believer" made me cry. He was so cute & had such a great voice. I'm so upset right now. I was shocked when I heard the news. Apparently he played right here in NYC a week before at BB Kings. Oh, how I wish I had gone to see him. I never saw him in person. I am still in total shock.
    He was only 66.
    Last edited by Topkat; 02-29-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

A big part of my childhood died today. I am beyond sad.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

I saw them perform as a group twice. The first time was in 1986 on their 20th Anniversary tour. I remember Weird Al opened for them. It was quite an evening! Davy just played a local fair last Summer and Steve asked me if I wanted to go. I begged off because we had something else to do. Ya just never know.

I know Peter Tork has been battling cancer for a few years now (tongue or throat-something like that). I guess I thought he might be the first one to pass.

I read a cryptic quote online today. Davy and Peter were being interviewed last year and in typical Monkee jokey fashion, Peter said "Davy used to be a teen heartthrob". And Davy responded "And now I'm just a coronary."
    [

Here's some more on Davy's career & his appearance on The Brady Bunch video.

http://www.billboard.com/news/monkee...06315352.story