Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed

Micky Dolenze was on the Today Show this morning to talk about Davy and said that he'd lost the brother he never had. I guess they had remained close through the years. He said that Davy had taken good care of himself too. You just never know. So sad.

I love your new av too Soda. He looks so sweet there.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Just to add another note - my older sister texted me this morning to say that the Monkees reminded her so much of the way we were in 1986 that she cries when the tributes come on - we were all such fans and the Monkees brought us such joy.

Last night, I posted about this on Facebook, and my two best friends from middle school who I haven't talked to in years posted replies to me about it. One of them attended the Astroworld concert with me. After all this time, Davy Jones' death helped us connect again. The fervor faded as we got older, but the fandom and the memories that come with it never died.

Comparisons to Whitney Houston's recent death are inevitable. On that topic, I just want to say that while my friends and I all listened to Whitney Houston, her death didn't cause friends and family members to text, post, and call each other and cry. Davy's death did. He was tied very tightly to the hearts of many in a way that you don't see every day. Gosh, we will miss him.

Davy's official site has a lovely tribute to him: http://davyjones.net/
    Gosh, Nancy, Davy did mean a lot to you. I'm so sorry for all your sadness and tears. I felt like that when George Harrison passed away back in 2001 - it took me an entire weekend to get over the worst, and even now I still cry sometimes when I watch him on DVD or listen to him sing. Isn't it amazing how people whom you've never met creep into your heart and fill your life with so much joy. The worst for me regarding George was that I always dreamed of meeting him, and when he passed on from that awful cancer, I had to put that dream to bed. It's tough.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Like so many of you here, I too was smitten with the Monkees, especially Davy. He was SO freekin' cute that I would melt every time the cameras focused on him. And that smile of his was enough to knock my socks off! I always wanted to believe he was smiling just for me, LOL. I must admit I wasn't crazy about his 'mullet phase' but he certainly improved with age and turned into a very handsome man.

It just goes to show you that nothing is certain. I was reading that he had been told last year by his physician that he had the heart of a 25-year-old. I can't recall ever hearing/reading that he spent any time living 'life in the fast lane'. Unlike so many other rock stars of that era I don't think I ever heard Davy Jones mentioned in the same sentence with words like 'drugs', 'alcohol' or 'scandal'.

At 66, he was taken from us much too soon and we'll always remember that captivating smile and twinkling eye.

I haven't heard anything about his funeral/memorial/burial as yet. His roots are in Manchester, England (wherre my husband is from) but he left there at such a young age that we don't think he has any ties there anymore. He's been living in Florida for a number of years.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

The other day I was talking to a woman from my building & she said her friend dated Davy when she was 20. He still kept in touch with her all these years & in fact he had just sent her tickets to see his show in April. Shows what a nice guy he really was. The woman is totally devastated receiving those tickets to a show that will never be.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    The other day I was talking to a woman from my building & she said her friend dated Davy when she was 20. He still kept in touch with her all these years & in fact he had just sent her tickets to see his show in April. Shows what a nice guy he really was. The woman is totally devastated receiving those tickets to a show that will never be.
    Oh, I'm sure she would be devastated! What a terrible thing to happen.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Awwww, how sad.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Oh wow. She must be so upset.

The admin assistant at my office is married to a guy who used to work in radio. He had the opportunity to interview Davy a number of years ago. He said he was just as nice off-air as he was on-air. Very friendly, funny, and down to earth, just like he was on the show.

Just found this in the Stuart (FL) newspaper. In addition to the news item there are several wonderful pictures of Davy on his horse ranch.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/mar/...vy-jones-died/
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey View Post
    Gosh, Nancy, Davy did mean a lot to you. I'm so sorry for all your sadness and tears. I felt like that when George Harrison passed away back in 2001 - it took me an entire weekend to get over the worst, and even now I still cry sometimes when I watch him on DVD or listen to him sing. Isn't it amazing how people whom you've never met creep into your heart and fill your life with so much joy. The worst for me regarding George was that I always dreamed of meeting him, and when he passed on from that awful cancer, I had to put that dream to bed. It's tough.
    Yes, and I've changed my avatar back, but I wanted to give him that day. Gosh, I'll miss him.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

For anyone who's interested - Davy Jones wrote 2 books - one I've read and one I haven't.

I have his autobiography " They Made a Monkee out of Me" and he also wrote a book called "Daydream Believin'".

Both are available on Amazon.

And, the Biography channel has been showing his biography as well as a biography on the Monkees.
    [