Page 34 of 100 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Glenn's new album "After Hours"

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: New album "After Hours" press and discussion

Just listened to the interview with Uncle Joe Benson, and it was pretty good. A full hour with Eagles songs that Glenn sings lead on, plus Smugglers Blues, and a lot of clips of songs from After Hours. He said some things I never heard before.

I need to go run an errand and get something to eat, I'll try and write down a few thoughts later. I couldn't record it and post it, as I stated in the previous thread that I can no longer find, the website is emphatic that they aggressively pursue illegal copying and posting of the interview. So I'll say it's worth it to look at the website and find a live stream this evening and listen, times posted are in the timezone local to the radio station.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thanks, VA!

Glenn has made some changes to his web site. Check out the new home page: http://www.glennfreyafterhours.com/. It alternates between 3 different pictures. Also, there are changes on the video page. It looks to me like the changes have been made for at least one other video (more I hope) to be added. Maybe he will post the "After Hours" video on Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Just listened to the interview with Uncle Joe Benson, and it was pretty good. A full hour with Eagles songs that Glenn sings lead on, plus Smugglers Blues, and a lot of clips of songs from After Hours. He said some things I never heard before.

I need to go run an errand and get something to eat, I'll try and write down a few thoughts later. I couldn't record it and post it, as I stated in the previous thread that I can no longer find, the website is emphatic that they aggressively pursue illegal copying and posting of the interview. So I'll say it's worth it to look at the website and find a live stream this evening and listen, times posted are in the timezone local to the radio station.
    I found a station in Gainesville, Florida that streams it so hopefully I will be able to hear it tonight @ 9:00 my time!

Why does Gainsville sound so familiar? Seems to me I have heard the name of that town before.

Notes from the Off The Record Show with Uncle Joe Benson...

On getting his start, he mentioned that after stopping the piano lessons, he picked back up on the piano when the Eagles came together.

On when he started to sing, he said he was in some church choirs but nothing he really remembers much of. The Beatles and various music clubs around was what really got him into it.

This next part had me making faces at my computer. Benson says, “This is gonna take a lot of people by surprise. First off, Mr. Frey, your voice, the way you sing on this After Hours album is incredible.” He then asks if Glenn had been hiding that. Really? What has he been listening to all these years? I was so astounded at the total back-handed compliment I almost missed Glenn’s reply which was, “I guess I have, but you know, some people know.” No kidding.

On what makes a great love song, Glenn says he thinks ‘bittersweet’ is a great flavor. Too sweet doesn’t work for him and neither does ‘slit your wrist, it’s over’. He said, “Bittersweet is where the interesting turf is.”

On the ‘40th anniversary tour’, he said the usual about the Eagles plan things year to year, but that LROOE was a five year cycle that included playing places they’d never been and returning to underplayed markets domestically (at this point I was shocked that Las Vegas was such an underplayed market). They’ve come to an end of that cycle. Now they need to create a new show. The show he’s thinking about hopefully will coincide with the DVD they have coming out in ‘about six months’. History of the Eagles, two DVDs. The first DVD would be ‘71 thru ‘80. Second will be ‘94 through the present.

“I thought if we did decide to go out and go around one more time, that maybe the tour would be like a history of the Eagles.” They can start out and the show would sort of take a chronological road and they could start out with four guys sitting around playing guitar for the first album, grow a little bigger for Desperado, then Joe joins. That’s a challenging project and they’d have to hire some talented people for the production of it. It would take a lot of time and right now they’re busy.

“(40) is a number to be proud for sure, but certainly anybody who can do rudimentary mathematics can figure out you’re pretty old.”

It seemed to me the clips that were played of After Hours were longer than a minute and a half which would make them different than the ones on the Parade link elsewhere on this thread. I don’t have itunes on this computer so I haven’t heard the samples from that link, and so I don’t know if they’re different or not. It’s worth finding a station and listening to the entire thing. I wish we could type out the whole thing, but the term ‘fair use’ in copyright law is so...nebulous.
    VK

Thanks Verna for posting that. For anyone who has not heard the interview with Uncle Joe you can stream it live tonight at 8pm Eastern (about two hours from now) from the Wind FM radio station in Florida. Just click on the listen live link @ 8pm and you should get it!

There was a lot more, even things I hadn't heard him say before, that I didn't include in the write-up.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    This next part had me making faces at my computer. Benson says, “This is gonna take a lot of people by surprise. First off, Mr. Frey, your voice, the way you sing on this After Hours album is incredible.” He then asks if Glenn had been hiding that. Really? What has he been listening to all these years? I was so astounded at the total back-handed compliment I almost missed Glenn’s reply which was, “I guess I have, but you know, some people know.” No kidding.
    In relation to that, some of us do know, and have always known. That is all I will say to that.

I'm listening to it now.

Did everyone know there are TWO Access Hollywood shows? My local station has an Access Hollywood Live version at noon EDT for an hour, and the regular half hour show at 7:30 EDT. He's on both and they are different shows. It says he performs on one and discusses the song HC on the other. I just set all my DVRs for both of them.
    VK

I'm so glad that I didn't miss that!! I'll just quickly add a few things that I picked up from the interview. I don't have a lot of time to post right now.

The songs that he played from "After Hours" were at least 3/4 of the songs. I'm so excited hearing them! FP, they played all of the vocals on the song 'After Hours' & on the second chorus he sings "when I drive these rainy streets I always think of her" so we get to hear old & new! Wait until you hear the end of "I Wanna Be Around"! Wow!

He also talked about being on Miami Vice & mentioned things I hadn't heard before. I'll post more on that & anything else that I remember tomorrow.

He spoke so smoothly, fluently & confidently, hardly any "you know"s. I love listening to his speaking voice almost as much as his singing!

I thought this was the best of all the 'After Hours' interviews, but it was also the longest.

I'm flying so high after listening to this!!! Is it Tuesday yet?