Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virginia Tech Shootings

Today, I looked around my classrooms for possible escape routes if such a thing should happen here at Purdue. I'm going to send out an e-mail with my emergency plans to my students. How sad that we have to do such things!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It is such a shame that you have to do this Nancy, but, it is very good to have a plan just the same. The Virginia Tech tragedy has hit closer to home for me than any other event that I can think of. However, I do have a little bit of good news to report. I have finally learned that both of my other friends children are safe. I found out about one last night. I was really becoming concerned about my last friend even though most of the victims names have been released. I finally learned a short while ago through a mutual friend of ours that everyone is okay. The reason that no one has been able to reach them is because they are away on a cruise to Bermuda. All of my friends children have chosen to remain at the school to remember their slain peers and teachers and to be close to their friends. They feel the need to be together to support each other during this sad time.

While I am, obviously, very relieved that everyone I know is safe, I can't imagine the agony that those who were not so lucky are going through.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Oh, I'm glad to hear the children of your friends are ok, Kay.

Stuck on the Border

Nancy, I think it's really smart of you to think about things such as escape routes and protecting yourself and the students. It's a sad statement about the world we live in that we even have to consider such things. "Bomb threat drills" or "how to respond in case someone starts shooting in your school" plans are things that have been practiced in my son's former high school for years. I was always amazed how casual the boys were in telling us "Oh,yeah, we had a bomb threat drill at school today", like it was no big deal. It was just part of their life the way fire drills were part of ours when we were kids.

Yes, Nancy, it seems like a sensible course to plan escape routes. It sounds like Molly's sons' colleges have got it sussed. It's almost unimaginable trying to evacuate a hospital.

Edited to add: I missed the end off this post. I meant to add that there was a fire alarm at the hospital where I work, and the staff did try and evacuate most of the patients who could manage the stairs (just one flight). Fortunately it was a false alarm, but it's frightening to think what might happen in a real emergency.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

On Friday, some of us at work went to a memorial for the Va. Tech victims that was held in a park adjoining the VCU campus. Many similar services were held simultaneously across the state. It was probably the most touching memorial service that I have ever been a part of. I left it feeling very moved and sad. But, at the same time, I was very glad I went, and really did feel a sense of closure.

It does truly make your heart ache to think that one sick person was able to cut short the lives of so many talented and promising individuals. Although there families and friends will have many difficult days ahead, I hope they can find some comfort in knowing that their loved ones will never be forgotten.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm glad you - and I'm sure others as well - could achieve some sense of closure with that service, dreamer. They even had some services in other states, including Indiana. It truly has touched the nation.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

The victims and their families were also prayed for at most masses and religious services over here yesterday.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP