Thread: Amazing Nostalgic Moment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Amazing Nostalgic Moment

I had an amazing moment yesterday which I'd like to share with those of you who are interested, and also see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

As Dublin traffic has been legend over the past few years, I have started cycling after I'd say a 15 year break from it. I was cycling up to my son's preschool at about 1pm yesterday afternoon to collect him. The weather was very pleasant, warm with a mild breeze. I had the ipod on a general shuffle, the route was lovely and green and it was one of those days where one feels good to be alive. Anyway it put me in mind of a similar day back in 1986 towards the end of September when I was cycling out to my college. The weather was similar, the route was similar and on my clackety old walkman I was playing a compilation tape called 'The Heat is On!' (It rarely left my walkman even in those days). No prizes for guessing the title track. Anyway just as I was arriving at the college gates that day the walkman autoreversed and started playing THIO. This always energised me and I cycled faster.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was already thinking how uncannily like that previous day things were, when the ipod shuffled and guess what track came on.... yes The Heat is On! As I cycled (faster!) it just reminded me so much of that day over 20 years ago. I was back there, It could have been that day. And as I arrived at the school and dismounted as the track was finishing the thought came unbidden

"You're still the same old Girl you used to be"

Has anyone else had this type of experience? If so lets hear it!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I know exactly how you feel about those moments, GA, and very appropriate that it should be Glenn you were listening to. Good for you getting on your bike, as well!!

Not long ago, I had a similar moment. I heard a piece of music that I last heard in the sixth form at school in 1974. It's a short guitar solo that I have unsuccessfully tried to identify ever since, the nearest I got was a Santana solo, but it wasn't quite right. I had a recollection it might be Focus, but nothing I'd heard by them resembled it.
    I was beginning to think I'd made it up.
    Then, a couple of weeks ago I picked up a cassette of Focus Live at the Rainbow, 10 pence from a charity shop. I put it on in the car, and suddenly, there was that solo! Talk about making my hair stand on end!! After 34 years, it took me right back to
    sitting at my desk in the sixth form block.
    And you are right, we may change on the outside, but inside we are still the same.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Cool stories!Something like this happened to me recently as well!
    A few weeks ago (St. Patrick's Day weekend) I was driving driving thru town doing errands. The old song "The Unicorn" by the Irish Rovers came on. I don't think I've heard that song in 30 years! My sister had the single record, and when I was a little girl, I used to pester her constantly to play some of her records for me (I wasn't allowed to touch the stereo myself-so I probably was a real pain in the behind bugging my older siblings to play the records for me). I was totally taken back to our old farmhouse, and the bedroom I shared with my 3 teenage sisters -sitting on the floor while my sister,Sharon, played records.

I was surprised I could remember every word and I sang along while I drove (doing my best Irish accent, of course).

When I got home, I went into the ITunes store and downloaded the song onto my IPod!

I love it when that sort of moment happens - suddenly transported back to one's youth

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

These moments really show how much music really is a part of our lives. Thanks for sharing your stories, ladies.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten