Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cape Town, South Africa April 4, 2012

Default Re: Cape Town, South Africa, April 4

Thanks for being on the ball! I hope more leaks out. We're dying here!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks, VA. Thanks Steph!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    Hotel California with sound(at the moment) and good quality picture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZY5brrHAKw
    Thanks for finding this...I keep watching it over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I keep watching it over and over.
    Me too... they still sound so awesome.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Default Re: Eagles Head To South Africa

Ah, here I am at last, everybody, and I'v got less than 10 minutes in which to post my thoughts about the Eagles in Cape Town/South Africa.

I had such a ridiculously busy week until Saturday evening, but as soon as I thought I would welcome the slowed down pace of Sunday and yesterday, I had show withdrawal symptoms. Crazy, I know.

Thank you to all of you for your well wishes for our show run, as well as your empathy regarding my not being able to attend the Eagles' Cape Town show. I really appreciate all the kind words and support.

Anyway, I am still not mobile (I haven't had my car in nearly four weeks :- I've been relying on my father and friends for transport to and from our shows at the Roxy), so I also haven't been able to scan the newspapers for any information on the Eagles.

As far as the Cape Town show is concerned, I tried to extract as much information as I could from my Facebook friend who attended the show. Unfortunately, she's not a long-time fan, and confessed that there were many of the songs performed that she didn't know. However, I managed to glean the following:

They wore casual clothes, i.e. jeans - not suits. Glenn introduced "Lyin' Eyes" using his trustee "Plaintiff" joke (hehehe). Songs included in the setlist were "Take It Easy", "Heartache Tonight", "New Kid In Town" and "Tequila Sunrise" (the last two are very interesting considering that a listener claimed these were not included in the Johannesburg setlist! Maybe my friend got it wrong!), "I Can't Tell You Why" and "Love Will Keep Us Alive". "Hotel California" and "Desperado" were definitely played, and left for last, apparently. Oh yes, and "Dirty Laundry" was also included.

Apparently, tickets were still being sold at the gate when my friend was waiting for the show to start, so it was delayed by 20 minutes How typical of Capetonians to leave things until the last minute.

One of the messages sent to the radio station stated that the Eagles would put the members of younger, more modern bands to shame with their musical prowess (those weren't the exact words, but you get the picture ).

By the way, there was more to the "Top Billing" interview than what was posted on YouTube. A friend of mine recorded it - perhaps I can make a plan to share it with all of you, although at this stage I cannot promise anything.

Tomorrow our series of shows continue for the next four days, and although I will be at work tomorrow and Thursday, I won't have time to join all of you on The Border, unfortunately.

I hope this little bit of information has helped to satisfy your need for information about how the boys did in South Africa!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Thanks so much, Monique! Really appreciate you taking the few spare minutes you have to update us all.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Default Re: Johannesburg, South Africa April 8, 2012

My apologies if this is a double-up, but there were two articles in the Times - one is for Capetown (the sushi one) and the other is for Joburg.

The Cape Town one (different writer!) wasn't really worth wondering about! I did the 14-day free trial subscription, I have copied it out below.

Headlined: Eagles Roll Back The Years

Members of US rock band The Eagles nibbled on sushi and oysters between concerts that bristled with celebrity fans in South Africa.

Architect to the country’s rich and famous, Stefan Antoni, and his wife, Carla, were among 25 000 fans who descended on the Cape Town Stadium on Wednesday.

The band, which has sold over 120 million albums worldwide, performed at Sun City last night and play at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg tonight.

The well-heeled Antoni couple formed part of a pre-concert party at the One&Only Hotel. They were joined by prominent events organizer Julia Kilias and a group of friends, who flew in especially from the Seychelles.

Kilias said: “The concert was a walk down memory lane. The band was very humble, one would expect them to be much more arrogant.”

Thousands of smartphones flickered as the group performed hits including Hotel California and Heartache Tonight.

Guitarist Joe Walsh, who paired long silver locks and a yin yang shirt with a brown leather jacket, played intricate solos that drew gasps from the crowd.

Don Henley, on vocals and percussion, said: “It’s been 40 years. We’re still here because you’re still here.”

The Eagles formed in Los Angeles in 1971, have been listed as one of the most successful rock bands of all time.

Off the stage in Cape Town, the musicians had seafood at the Sevruga Restaurant, at the V&A Waterfront. “They were here two nights in a row,” said manager Dave Edwards. “They had a mixture of everything. They were very friendly and left decent tips. They even gave the waitress a plectrum.”

There was also a photo of Glenn, captioned "Still got it. The Eagles founding member Glenn Frey performing in Cape Town this week."

The photo was taken by Michael Currin. I found his facebook page which has 9 concert photos on it - sounds like the photos referred to earlier, but here's the link again.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.357069820996071.75275.113838461985876&type= 1#!/photo.php?fbid=357072134329173&set=a.3570698209960 71.75275.113838461985876&type=3&theater

I did like Don's comment ("We're still here because you're still here). That was cute.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Thank you for all the details!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I found a pic on FB I thought you peeps might like to see... Taken in Cape Town. The man in the middle is Benjy Mudie, legendary South African record label owner and music man...
    He created Tusk Records in the Seventies and any Eagles record you bought until not too long ago was on the Tusk label in SA. (This is from his FB page, and I doubt he would mind!)

PS I'm pretty sure that the shirt Don is wearing is EXACTLY the same one he wore to the Jo'burg concert...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

OMG!!!! Good find Steve!!!! Love it but I have to ask, and I don't often say this about what Timothy wears because he seems to have such style, but, what the heck is this that Timothy has on?
    He sings it high, he plays it low