Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lost Magic

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Default Re: Lost Magic

Once "they decided" that Bernie and Randy were not needed any more, the group was just not the same. IMO!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post
    Once "they decided" that Bernie and Randy were not needed any more, the group was just not the same. IMO!!!!!
    Everything "they decided" was for the good of the band... really?

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post
    Calling all your negative posts from the last 12-24 hours "opinion" does not change the fact you are trying to stir up crap. You've already been called down by a mod for what you tried to pull in one of the Glenn threads. It's time to grow up or go away, IMO!!

Get over it!....

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juana_vaina View Post
    Everything "they decided" was for the good of the band... really?
    I'm totally confused. I know that Don and Glenn straight-out fired Don Felder, but I thought it was pretty well accepted that both Bernie and Randy left the band of their own accord. I understand that they weren't happy, for different reasons, but I haven't seen anything that indicates that Don and Glenn actively pushed them out...am I missing something here?? From the doc and the books I've read, it seems to me that they were aware that both Bernie and Randy were unhappy, but nowhere did I get a sense that they were like, "Thank God they left, we wanted them gone anyway."

To phrase this question another way, do you think that today, Glenn and Don are happy that both Bernie and Randy left when they did? I don't.

In the Now, I think there's a lot of regret on the part of everyone for various things. But taking the sum total of narrative from various sources, in my estimation Glenn, Don and Irving were all incredibly frustrated with Randy and felt he was being self-destructive and they had reached the end of their tether with him; especially if you believe what Irving did to him after he left the band.

As far as Bernie goes, I don't get the same sense of contention when they talk about him, and now maybe all the demons have been laid to rest, finally. But at the time it seems clear that Bernie felt he no longer had a place in the band and that Glenn and Don agreed with him.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Both of these perceptions are fair. And as you describe it, I still don't see it adding up to Don and Glenn being the bad guys. I see very typical band dynamics.

I think everyone is potentially the bad guy at some point. Most of the bands I love have extremely contentious histories and so I'm used to these kinds of discussions, I suppose. Like TBS says, all bands are on the verge of breaking up at any time for various reasons. Relationships are difficult enough, but when you add in all those other ingredients like fame and money and substance abuse and ego then it's just not going to go well.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Stuck on the Border

In a 1975 interview with Cameron Crowe, Bernie "admits to twice leaving and rejoining the Eagles". From the same piece, Glenn says, "We never expected to get this far, anyway. I thought we’d break up after our first album.”

Far from deciding "they" could do without Bernie, there was a reluctance to accept that he was leaving. However, it would have been pretty stupid to not start thinking about who could replace him.

Thank you for the info and perspective, UTW.