Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Johannesburg, South Africa April 8, 2012

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Soccer City April 7th review

Hotel California was one of the encores on the F1 tour and prior to that on the HFO tour. They didn't move it up to near the beginning until the LROOE tour. TIE, on the other hand, was always at the very end (HFO) then second last (F1) and then third last (LROOE) and now we don't know where it is.

Default Re: Cape Town, South Africa, April 4

Default Re: Johannesburg, South Africa, April 8

I've tried to straighten out the posts with regard to which concert they refer to. The ones in this thread should all refer to the Johannesburg show, or discussion stemming from the Johannesburg reviews. Let me know if I've missed something.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    As far as the jokes, I would venture to guess that over 99% of the folks in those audiences have never heard the plaintiff joke.
    They have if they own Farewell 1.

Well, Glenn can do what he wants, obviously... but he's a funny guy. There are newer jokes he could tell and still make people laugh. If he wants to have a signature joke (I remember him characterizing it once as his version of "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash"), I wish it weren't one he got from Joe Walsh 20 years ago. But hey, it's no biggie. Just a pet peeve of mine - not exactly a matter of great concern!

As far as the concern that they would drop Take It Easy... that would be akin to them dropping Hotel California. Take It Easy is an Eagles signature song. While it's not impossible, it's highly improbable.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Hotel California was one of the encores on the F1 tour and prior to that on the HFO tour. They didn't move it up to near the beginning until the LROOE tour.
    Just a minor correction - on the HFO tour, they opened with "Hotel California." Far from being an encore song, it was the first song of the concert.

Default Re: Eagles Head To South Africa

I listened to our local radio station 567 Cape Talk yesterday - they play golden oldies over weekends and public holidays - and they were taking texts and messages from listeners who had attended the Eagles' Johannesburg concert. The general consensus was that the boys were amazing!!! The people raved about their vocals, harmonies and musicianship, and this includes the presenter of the show who attended himself. Many listeners stated that the concert was well worth the 40-year wait to see them!

Regarding the Johannesburg setlist, I believe the boys opened the evening with "Seven Bridges Road". Now there's a song I didn't see performed in London! There were, however, complaints from listeners that they left out hits such as "One Of These Nights", "New Kid In Town" and "Tequila Sunrise".

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Out on the Border

Default Re: Johannesburg, South Africa April 8, 2012

I was at the Johannesburg Concert Sunday. It was my frst Eagles Concert, ever, despite really, really wanting to go as a kid growing up in Omaha in 1976 when I was 16.

I'm an American, temporarily living in Johannesburg on a work assignment.

Weather was a little cool, and we got rained on a little bit, but we had a great time.

They led off with Seven Bridges Road, How Long, I Can't Tell You Why, followed by most of their well recognized hits.

Hotel California was the first encore.

Take it Easy was the first song of the second encore, and they finished with Desperado.

Despite not being an Eagles hit, they played Henley's Boys of Summer which is one of my all time favorite songs.

They also did some Walsh songs too; Seems to Me, Rocky Mountain Way, Life's Been Good.
    Last edited by timb99; 04-10-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Head To South Africa

I find it hard to believe they would NOT play One Of The Nights (which ironically happens to be playing right this minute on Sirius Classic Vinyl). If they did add NKIT, like your friend says, that makes me and, I know, FP, very happy!!!!!! It's about freaking time!!! Really wish we could get an "official" setlist to see how things have been changed, which obviously they have been after hearing HC had been moved to the encore.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by timb99 View Post
    I was at the Johannesburg Concert Sunday. It was my frst Eagles Concert, ever, despite really, really wanting to go as a kid growing up in Omaha in 1976 when I was 16.

I'm an American, temporarily living in Johannesburg on a work assignment.

Weather was a little cool, and we got rained on a little bit, but we had a great time.

They led off with Seven Bridges Road, How Long, I Can't Tell You Why, followed by most of their well recognized hits.

Hotel California was the first encore.

Take it Easy was the first song of the second encore, and they finished with Desperado.

Despite not being an Eagles hit, they played Henley's Boys of Summer which is one of my all time favorite songs.

They also did some Walsh songs too; Seems to Me, Rocky Mountain Way, Life's Been Good.
    Thanks for your feedback, timb99 - and welcome to The Border!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Welcome, Tim (I like your name ). And thanks for the input. Looks like things weren't changed that much after all.
    He sings it high, he plays it low