Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Borderers' Favourite Eagles/Solo Songs

Default Re: Borderers' Favourite Eagles/Solo Songs

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Before I start, I have to say one thing: WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE 'I DON'T KNOW TIM'S SOLO SONGS'? Apparently I haven't done my job here! Geesh----I need to start a campaign to rectify that and soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the shouting!! I still love you all!!
    I have to confess, I didn't have ANY of the guys' solo stuff until after I joined The Border.

I got Don's BTPB and EOI first off i-Tunes, and have had to track everything else down. (iTunes over here doesn't have the same range as other parts of the world. Don't get me started. ).

I managed to borrow Expando from the library a while ago and loved it, and have ordered a copy - which is being shipped from 13,000 miles away! Inside Job, I Can't Stand Still and the deluxe version of Very Best of Don Henley had to be shipped in from America. I also have After Hours and Analog Man on order from the US.

However I did manage to pick up a copy of the single of ILBTs on vinyl, locally. We also have The Smoker You Drink and No Fun Aloud on vinyl (again, both are recent purchases).
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

[QUOTE=TimothyBFan;178144]Before I start, I have to say one thing: WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE 'I DON'T KNOW TIM'S SOLO SONGS'? Apparently I haven't done my job here! Geesh----I need to start a campaign to rectify that and soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the shouting!! I still love you all!!

This cracked me up when I read it...I was thinking the same thing but have not been here long enough to scold anyone!

Zelda

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Don't worry, Zelda, I've got it covered. They know I still love them but they also know I'm not gonna let that kind of nonsense go without letting them know I'm not happy.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Don't worry, Zelda, I've got it covered. They know I still love them but they also know I'm not gonna let that kind of nonsense go without letting them know I'm not happy.
    I figured you would!

Here's my list. I know how dangerous it is for me to put Glenn Frey at the bottom of a list on the Border , but I just don't enjoy his solo collection as much as the others.

Joe - I can't even begin to choose a favorite... I have so many (Help Me Thru the Night, Indian Summer, Walk Away, Meadows, and the list goes on)

Don H - Heart of the Matter, or Boys of Summer

Timothy - Parachute

Glenn - Strange Weather

Eagles - Take It To The Limit (not only is it my favorite Eagles song, but my favorite song overall)

An interesting exercise, I suppose, to try to narrow down all their great songs to the single one that is most favorite. But very difficult, and because there are so many classic songs of nearly comparable quality, not sure just what the answers really tell us. But, as usual, very interesting to see everyone's choices. Here are mine.

Eagles - Desperado. My very favorite (but of course, it MUST be followed by the Desperado Reprise. The song is just not finished, complete, or whole without the Reprise ending - Unfortunately, this is something that the Eagles themselves never seemed to fully appreciate, as they NEVER finish the song with the reprise in concert. Please, for the 40th ann. tour - Finally FINISH the song the way it should end.

Don - Heart of the Matter

Glenn - You Belong to the City

Joe - The Worry Song (OK, maybe not his greatest song, but it is just so much fun, it has become a favorite, and Joe's comic timing and phrasing throughout are just perfect).

Tim - Love Will Keep Us Alive (I Know, you're saying this is not a 'solo' song, but really, it was developed for a solo project with Paul Carrack that never materialized, then was later released on the Eagles reunion album (HFO), so it was originally a solo song. Besides, it always sounded to me more like a Poco song than an Eagles song. For a truly non-Eagles song, I would have to go with Tim and Poco's Keep On Tryin', which may be his best self-penned song.

Bernie - How Can You Live Without Love (Just beautiful). Also Train Leaves Here This Morning (which was written and recorded with Gene Clark long before he came to the Eagles.

Randy - Hearts On Fire
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by BBKron View Post
    Eagles - Desperado. My very favorite (but of course, it MUST be followed by the Desperado Reprise. The song is just not finished, complete, or whole without the Reprise ending - Unfortunately, this is something that the Eagles themselves never seemed to fully appreciate, as they NEVER finish the song with the reprise in concert. Please, for the 40th ann. tour - Finally FINISH the song the way it should end.
    Yes please, I'd love to hear the Reprise in concert!

Although to FULLY appreciate the song, you really need to hear the whole album - get the whole story from start to finish.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border

The problem with finishing with the Reprise is the way Desperado is now performed. It is entirely a showcase for Don Henley's vocals. If the Reprise were added to the end, the 'showcase' aspect of it would be lessened. I also would like to see the other members of the band be more involved in the closing song which is why I have always believed the closing song should be Take It Easy. The band also no longer plays Tequila Sunrise either, so they appear to have distanced themselves from the Desperado album while highlighting the importance of the song.

Now I thought as perhaps the original question 'what is your favourite song by each member' is perhaps a bit too limiting, I will now list songs by all current members & the band which I regard as being very special to me personally. These will not include the songs I listed as my favourites earlier, apart from POMPOY, which cannot be excluded.

Eagles: New Kid In Town, Lyin' Eyes, Heartache Tonight, Long Road Out Of Eden, I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (I said it is special to me).

* Not Take It Easy? Not at the moment, frankly.

Glenn: POMPOY is Glenn's Stairway To Heaven & is so important to me I can't leave it out. After Hours, Smuggler's Blues, A Walk In The Dark, This Way To Happiness, River Of Dreams, He Took Advantage. I had better stop there.

Don: Love Rules, A Month Of Sundays, Damn It, Rose, Goodbye To A River

Joe: Rocky Mountain Way, Second Hand Store, At The Station, Rosewood Bitters

Tim: Down By The River, Parachute, One More Mile, A Good Day

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Eagles- Take It To the Limit

Don Henley- Boys of Summer

Joe Walsh- Turn To Stone

Randy Meisner- Never Been In Love

Glenn Frey- I actually dont like any of his solo stuff, from what i've heard so far! (dont hate me!)

Tim- Boys Night Out

Haven't heard anything of Don F.'s or Bernie's solo stuff!

Eagles ~ Best of My Love

Don Henley ~ Talking to the Moon

Glenn Frey ~ You Belong to the City

Joe Walsh ~ Walk Away (does James Gang count?)

Tim, Randy, Don Felder, Bernie ~ still becoming familiar with their material.
    ~Sara