Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Don to be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year

Those are wonderful pics. He looked great at the gala.

More MusiCares press, from Fox news this time:
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Don Henley Beats the New Kid in Town

Stuck on the Border

Great photos (love the maracas)! But that Fox stuff is really, really, er - not good.

Writing that Glenn was "out playing golf somewhere" makes it sound like he just decided to wander to a club and play a few holes instead of come to the gala. Hello, Pebble Beach is pretty much the most prestigious pro-am there is and it's not as if Glenn had a choice as to when it was scheduled. With an early tee time on Saturday, it's not surprising that Glenn didn't want to fly to LA knowing that he wouldn't get back to Monterey until late.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I hate it when writers just HAVE to find something negative to say. That article was complementary of Don, but they just had to get that one little dig in about "where were the other Eagles?"

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    Writing that Glenn was "out playing golf somewhere" makes it sound like he just decided to wander to a club and play a few holes instead of come to the gala. Hello, Pebble Beach is pretty much the most prestigious pro-am there is and it's not as if Glenn had a choice as to when it was scheduled. With an early tee time on Saturday, it's not surprising that Glenn didn't want to fly to LA knowing that he wouldn't get back to Monterey until late.

Not to mention that the play was so behind on Friday and it kept sprinkling on us. I doubt he'd have had time to get back to his hotel, get warm and cleaned up, and down to LA. Wasn't it after 8 by the time we got home?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister
    Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts

Not to mention that the play was so behind on Friday and it kept sprinkling on us. I doubt he'd have had time to get back to his hotel, get warm and cleaned up, and down to LA. Wasn't it after 8 by the time we got home?
    Exactly. And we were exhausted. Imagine how much more so he would have been. Also, as lovely as it is that Don was given this much-deserved honor, the MusiCares award is not like a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys or Time Magazine's Man of the Year. I don't mean to minimize it or anything - it's still a great honor.

Some really nice quotes about Don from Bernie Taupin, Elton John's longtime collaborator, at MusiCares:

Taupin, a songwriter's songwriter, eloquently described Henley's unique gift. "You need to understand something: songwriters are basically a seething mass of respect and jealousy," Taupin said. "Don is someone I admire tremendously. But more importantly, he's written so many things that I wished I had.. My envy knows no bounds."

After reading a few of Henley's lyrics, Taupin said, "Come on, that's like William Faulkner. In fact, I've always liked the way Don seems to put a literary slant on much of his work. He can get romantic like F. Scott Fitzgerald, and then back when he was doing 'Desperado,' he was Zane Grey. In a word it is wonderful, intelligent and melodic.

"Unfortunately when much of the music business has become a bit like 'Logan's Run,'—you know, that thing where you obtain a certain age and zap, you're gone? Fortunately great songs never die and well outlast disposable culture. So instead of being relegated to the trashcan of irrelevance, words like yours will inspire our kids for generations to come.

"The Eagles always were for me the other side of the California myth. The Beach Boys had the beach and the ocean, but the Eagles owned the canyon and desert. What a canvas and how well Don painted on it."

Later, Henley returned Taupin's respect. "Back at you, my brother. I wish I had your catalog. I could quit tomorrow."

I love seeing the kind of respect and admiration that established musicians have for Don, and he for them.

From Fox News Online:

Odds 'n' Ends: The Eagles Will Fly and 'Deal, No Deal'

------------------------------
    Well, now we know what the Seal connection was, and why he was at Don's gala.

Hail, hail, King Azoff!

Interesting!