Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Don to be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year

Stuck on the Border

Welcome back Front Line! The old days are here again!

Nice of Fox to back down after their hysteria over Glenn not being at the gala. It doesn't happen very often.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I'm just now catching up on some of these threads now that I'm back from Pebble Beach. Thanks for posting all this DF. Don looked great at the gala. I love that tie. And yes - that was a real shocker to learn about Don's oldest daughter. I don't believe any of us had any idea about her. What else might Don be keeping from us?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    that was a real shocker to learn about Don's oldest daughter. I don't believe any of us had any idea about her. What else might Don be keeping from us?
    I guess when you spread your love around as much as these guys did, a love child here and there isn't so surprising! It is surprising, though, that after keeping her under wraps for so long he decided to "out" her, even giving her name out with press in the room. I think it's cool that he's publicly acknowledging her, though. And what a great way to do it, at an event such as this one.

Re: Frontline - Stevie Nicks actually mentions them resentfully in one of her songs, although she's apparently mended fences. At one point they told her she needed to lose weight and go into rehab. This did not make Stevie smile. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

More MusiCares/Grammy press--from the Sun-Star.com:
    --------------------------------------------

Towards the end of the evening the Grammys laid on their usual tribute and, as usual, fluffed it. They who suffered the fluff this year were the Eagles, one of the best live bands around at the time, and woe, woe, woe, Don Henley, Eagles drummer and leader, was in the audience.

The chief culprits were country band Rascal Flatts who served up Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane with about as much zest as -- well, with no zest at all. It was awful. A disgrace. The camera, noticeably, didn't dare pan over to Don Henley who was probably weeping.

Biggest treats of the night came from more oldies -- a song each from Lionel Ritchie and Smoky Robinson (who is in his late sixties) and a reformed Police performing that wonderful screamer Roxanne. See -- age and quality.
    -------------------------------------------

I agree--Sting and Don may have a little age on them, but they are still looking GOOD, and OH, the quality!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun-Star.com
    The chief culprits were country band Rascal Flatts who served up Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane with about as much zest as -- well, with no zest at all. It was awful. A disgrace. The camera, noticeably, didn't dare pan over to Don Henley who was probably weeping.

The DelCo Times has a similar sentiment - see full article here. An excerpt:

"Inexplicably, with the recent death of James Brown, the Recording Academy decided to launch a massive tribute -- to The Eagles.Yes, that band of 70s excess, massive egos and pink champagne on ice were paid homage with three of its songs performed by Rascal Flatts and Carrie Underwood. Hearing "Hotel California" (right up there with ‘Stairway to Heaven" as songs to never be played again -- by anyone), "Desperado" (see "Hotel California"), and "Life in the Fast Lane" had me wondering if Glenn Frey had died."

So goodbye rodeo, it's a long funny way for a man to go...

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of seeing the performance, it's on YouTube:

Rascal Flatt's Hotel California at the Grammys

Oh dear Lord Soda...This video needs to come with a warning :P
    So goodbye rodeo, it's a long funny way for a man to go...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh my!

Now - I have a confession to make. My two teenage nieces love Rascal Flatts and they played in Charlottesville, Va. on Feb. 16th. When the date was announced, my sister and I promised to take them to the show, even though I didn't know one single song that they sing. (Who says I'm not a good aunt? ) Anyway, there I am at the show not recognizing not one single song until they break into Hotel California. I have to tell you - I was so excited, I enjoyed it immensely at the time. Plus they said some nice things about how our guys had been such a big influence on them. I have to admit, it doesn't sound nearly as good in that YouTube video.

In fairness, they actually put on a pretty good show, and there are even a few songs that I liked in spite of the lead singer's (Gary) whiny voice. Plus, Joe Don the guitar player is pretty hot. I learned that he even posed for a nude butt shot in one of their videoes. (That reminds me, I was supposed to check that out since I've never seen the video.) If I can find it, I'll post a link.

Edited to add: I found it and posted a link to the video over in Cheap Talk and Wine. I didn't want to hijack Don's thread with Joe Don's derriere.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm actually a big fan of Rascal Flatts and love Gary's voice..........just not on those particular performances

Although I do have to say, I didn't think LITFL as anywhere NEAR as bad as HC. I think the biggest problem was that Gary's voice just doesn't fit the song. He doesn't have that rasp voice full of emotion like Don. He has more of a high-pitched pop country voice and they just didn't fit well.

I still think carrie did good though

All in all, I think that they definently could have picked people more suited for the songs. If you're going to go country, pick somebody like Travis Tritt who performs the country rock style similar to the eagles.