Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Don to be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh wow - that is a great Cadillac ad. What a wonderful tribute to Don!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

That's fabulous!
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

These are excerpts from an MSN Blog by Junichi Semitsu, an assistant to the Dixie Chicks, about the night they paid tribute to Don at his MusiCares Ceremony. While it is interesting in itself for the behind-the-scenes glimpses it provides of this wonderful ceremony, the next-to-last-paragraph made me go :
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Backstage at the Los Angeles Convention Center, Natalie, Martie, and Emily reunite for the first time since the Accidents and Accusations Tour ended ten weeks ago, in early December.

They are coordinating harmony parts to “Desperado.” The Chicks are rehearsing for a tribute tomorrow to Don Henley, who is being honored as the MusiCares Person of the Year, which is awarded to musicians who also dedicate their lives to philanthropic efforts. The Chicks are one of many acts, including John Mayer, Trisha Yearwood, Sam Moore, and Michael McDonald, who are performing either an Eagles or Henley tune.

So while Seal is practicing on stage with Don Henley’s band, the Chicks sort out the notes for each person’s “Ooohs” and “Aaaahs” in a backstage warehouse. They agree to avoid harmonies that ooze cheese or anything reminiscent of a barbershop quartet. While Emily works out the chord changes on her dobro, Natalie pushes for a key change to C.

I have probably had anxiety dreams that involved something similar to suddenly having to arrange vocal parts in a different key, to perform with a brand new band, for a performance only 24 hours away, in front of the entire recording academy. But Martie, Emily, and Natalie, ever the consummate professionals, are relaxed as can be. That’s why they’re nominated for five Grammy Awards and you and I are not.

When the Chicks take the stage for the rehearsal, Natalie talks with Seal, who is almost twice her height. They trade notes on their children, like two parents in line at your local grocery store, assuming your grocery is filled with supermodels, famous actors, and superstar musicians.

As the Chicks coordinate with the band, I am holding on to their purses. Their managers joke that I’m back to my old “Man Ass” job, although I insist I should be promoted to “Vice President of Personal Possession Relocations.”

After thirty short minutes of coordinating every ritardando and agreeing upon whether a certain chord should be a minor 7th or a major 7th, the Chicks have locked up “Desperado” as if they own it.

The next afternoon, on the day of the Henley tribute, the Chicks are getting ready in a local hotel suite. As I’ve seen this process almost fifty times now, I was expecting nothing out of the ordinary. But today’s glam ritual proves to be more unusual.

The Chicks have no electricity. Each time they attempt to power on Dean’s make-up lights, the steamer, the curling iron, and other mysterious beauty instruments indistinguishable from torture devices, a fuse gets blown. Consequently, when any of us needs to use the restroom, we use the light from our cell phones to make our way to the toilet.

Eventually, hotel management runs an extension cord to the adjacent room, which proves to be a fine working solution until the occupant of the room returns. Fortunately, glam is nearly finished, so nobody needs to ask the guest if the Dixie Chicks can borrow some of his juice.

When the Chicks arrive at the event, they rapidly snake their way through an ocean of tables to find theirs. Between Mindi, management, security, and me, we manage to make sure that nobody stops the girls for autographs, performance requests, or polenta recipes.

Already sitting at the table is Gareth Maguire (Martie’s husband), Adrian Pasdar (Natalie’s husband), and Dan Wilson, formerly of Semisonic, who co-wrote “Not Ready to Make Nice” with the Chicks.

I am quite thrilled to find that the Chicks and their management have found a seat for me at the Chicks’ table. Each table, by the way, costs $75,000 for ten seats, which means this $7,500 meal is easily the most expensive I will ever consume, unless I live out my dream of eating a bowl of Lucky Charms with actual blue diamonds.

The conversation is interrupted when tonight’s honoree, Don Henley, walks to the table to thank the Chicks for performing. He confesses that he’s a bit under the weather, setting everyone up to be disappointed with his musical performance.

Just as they finish congratulating him, Carnie Wilson of Wilson Phillips walks up to gush about how much she loves the Chicks’ new album. After Carnie leaves, Natalie comments on how incredibly nice she is. I add, “Yeah, I like Wilson Phillips. Of all the white all-female trios in music history, they’re the only good one.” Natalie gives me a dirty look.

When the Chicks take the stage, they nail “Desperado,” as if it’s a standard they’ve been performing for years. The audience begins cheering even before Natalie finishes singing the last line.

At the end of the night, Don Henley takes the stage to accept his award. After admitting that he feels like he’s attending his own funeral, he thanks the performers, who helped him “actually start liking some of these songs again.”

He then asks everyone to sing “Happy Birthday” to William, his nine year-old son. Not surprising for a ballroom full of musical artists, the group sing-a-long sounds good. Natalie’s voice, however, seems to rise above all others.

Finally, after changing the tone with some brutal jokes at the expense of record executives, Don closes the night by singing “Boys of Summer,” “Wasted Time,” “Life in the Fast Lane,” and “Hotel California,” which, no surprise, ends up the highlight of the night. Martie notes how incredible his voice sounds, especially when considering his illness.

Sadly, this event is only being videotaped for archives, and not for eventual television or web broadcast. Most likely, nobody else will ever hear Emily’s dobro solo, Martie’s fiddle solo, or Natalie wailing “...before it’s too late.”

But for those privileged to have witnessed this event, the $75,000 per-table cost almost seems justified.
    --------------------------------------------------------

"Sadly, this event is only being videotaped for archives"?? Say it ain't so!!

Bummer! Well, maybe they'll change their minds and release it at a later date.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Darn! I would like to see that too. Maybe someday!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Default Re: Don to be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year

Our wishes may be granted, over three years later! According to Variety, a DVD release of Don's MusiCares is "being negotiated." Here's hoping!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Oh, I hope this happens. I would absolutely LOVE to see this on dvd. I've always wondered what Don's songs sound like done by those artists that were there. Plus, getting to hear Don's speech would great. It'd also be great to see more than just the pictures from this event.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

I just read that today too and was so excited! I really want to see all the performances honoring Don...especially Mr. Mayer.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - that would be fantastic if this actually happens. Wonder when we'll know for sure?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Our wishes may be granted, over three years later! According to Variety, a DVD release of Don's MusiCares is "being negotiated." Here's hoping!
    I read that too! After three years I had completely given up. Of course, I will believe it when I finally see it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Along those same lines, I watched the Grammys with my daughter and I was surprised that this year's MusiCares honoree did not even appear. At least Don was allowed a brief appearance the year he was honored.