Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Levon Helm has Passed Away at 71

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Levon Helm

This is very sad news. I will also pray for him and his family.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I saw this early morning our time, so I've had a few hours to digest it. One of the true greats... Apart from The Last Waltz, his appearance along with Garth Hudson on Roger Water's The Wall Live In Berlin concert from 1990 is one of my favourite bits of viewing. Very sad and sending positive thoughts and wishes. I have to say though, I just love this... So true...
    Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    My husband didn't know who he was (he's not a music fan), but I told him, "Just enjoy. He's a legend."

I woke up this morning with an attitude
    looked at the headline, put me in a real bad mood

Another of my favourite singer songwriters, singing a stunning song about the man himself... Been playing in my head since I saw the post from Levon's family. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUfFus9tJpE[/ame]

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

This is what Robbie Robertson posted on his FB page yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Robertson
    Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him.

On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy.

Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever.

-Robbie Robertson
    I didn't realize that Amy's Mom was now married to Donald Fagen. Maybe Levon had it in his biography which I've never read. I hate to say it, but I suppose I should buy it now if I ever want to read it because it will be to expensive once he passes. I made that mistake with Davy Jones and will never be able to afford it now. It's sad people feel they can make an extra buck off of someone's death.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

It warms my heart to know that Robbie was able to see Levon and make peace one last time. The power of music, creativity and friendship binds people together in a special way, despite all of those disagreements over royalties. I'm sure they seem pretty insignificant now. I actually thought the same as Robbie - that Levon had beaten throat cancer. I guess his family kept the fact that it had returned fairly quiet. I'm sure he just wanted to play and make people feel good for as long as he possibly could. I am glad that he is getting to see all of the Facebook messages that fans and friends have been sending over the past few days... To know that you mean so much to so many people, of all ages, all over the globe, must be quite incredible. I am still tremendously sad but I'm sure Levon would agree that you can't really ask for more out of life. He will leave such an amazing legacy behind... and I like the thought that he might just be jamming again with Rick and Richard sometime soon.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

From Levon Helm's website:

Levon Helm passed peacefully this afternoon. He was surrounded by family, friends and band mates and will be remembered by all he touched as a brilliant musician and a beautiful soul.

Default Levon Helm has Passed Away at 71

Default Re: Levon Helm has Passed Away at 71

So very sad. What a loss.

(Note: I moved the posts about his illness over here to this thread because I think a thread dedicated to him in "Singing for the Sake of the Song" should be focused on his music rather than his final illness and death.)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Rest in peace, Levon. I am heartbroken, but thinking of the good stuff... What a life. Love and comfort going to his family and close friends at this difficult time. He will be missed.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Did you guys know he played drums and sang backup on a Joe Walsh track once?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7So8Zur4eY[/ame]

R.I.P.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten