Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

"For Sentimental Reasons" has been stuck in my head all day. It's becoming a favorite. My other faves are "The Shadow of Your Smile," "I Wanna Be Around," "Caroline No", "It's Too Soon to Know," and "The Look of Love." Of course, the best one of all is "After Hours."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

My song-by-song review of After Hours...

OK, I listened to this CD about 400 times this weekend while driving (a slight exaggeration), and I like it even more now than I did on first hearing it. Even better, it passed the test of my aunt (who is 86) and my mother (who is 71). My mother loves everything Eagles and very definitely Glenn and I think she was hoping for more up-tempo standards, but she still loved it. My aunt was over the moon. She’s seen some of these songs performed by the artists back in the 40’s and 50’s in concert and I’m not certain she believed me when I assured her the singer on this CD was a member of the Eagles. For me, hearing songs I’ve always liked with a voice I truly love is like a little slice of heaven.

For Sentimental Reasons: I am very familiar with Nat King Cole’s version (have it on CD), and have heard Dinah Shore sing it a few times. Glenn stayed very true to NKC’s version, except Glenn’s version has a better sounding piano. I’m very biased, so as much as I’ve always enjoyed listening to NKC, I like the sound of Glenn’s voice better. I’m not a fan of artists taking a well-loved song and ‘making it theirs’ by changing it up. Glenn didn’t do that, he left it alone and he sings it with feeling. Listening to it, I get the sense that he’s enjoying himself. Hearing it live was a real treat.

My Buddy: I remember hearing Gene Autry’s version when I was a kid, my grandfather was a big Gene Autry fan. This would be my mother and aunt’s father. Mostly, though, I remember Pappap singing it to me before he ‘took sick’ as the family always refers the massive strokes that ended his singing and banjo playing. So as much as I love Glenn’s version, my grandfather’s will never be topped. Still, it brings back a lot of good memories and I’m so glad he decided to include it.

The Good Life: I’ve heard Sinatra’s version many times on the Sinatra channel on SiriusXM, and I prefer Tony Bennett’s version. Glenn’s is very definitely more like Tony Bennett’s. Bennett’s is more ‘crooning’ in my opinion. It’s a good song to have in the background while doing something else. Glenn sings it with more passion and it demands to be listened to. I listen to it over and over, I just love it. My aunt really loved it as well.

Route 66: This is a song that always had me turning the station when it came on, regardless of who sang it. When I mentioned to my mother it was on the CD, she asked, ‘Why?’, so I guess we think alike on it. However, the piano intro and the steel guitar and heavy country influence had her dancing in her seat. I like Glenn’s version and sing along with it, and I’m sure it’s because of the steel guitar. My country roots are showing, I know.

The Shadow of Your Smile: I’d only ever heard Sinatra’s live version (he never did a studio recording) on the 40’s channel on SiriusXM and it was definitely one of my least-liked songs of his. If I’ve heard others sing it, I don’t remember it. I was a bit worried when I heard this was to be on the CD, but Glenn does a great job with it. I listened to Tony Bennett’s version on YouTube before writing this, and I have to say, I’m glad Glenn changed this one just a bit. My aunt’s response? “Ohh, this is nice. Oh wow.”

Here’s To Life: I’d never heard this song before, but my aunt was sure she’d heard it before. I love the way Glenn sings it, he makes it come alive. “Here’s to life and every joy it brings.” The way he sings that line and holds the ‘brings’ is amazing. Michael Bolton was right, Glenn’s voice is perfect for these songs. “Here’s to life, to dreamers and their dreams.” His voice makes my skin gooseflesh on this. It’s utterly perfect.

It’s Too Soon To Know: I don’t remember ever hearing this before, but my mother assures me Pat Boone sang it the year she graduated (195. Probably others. I like the emotion he brings to the song. He sings it real. Like he really wonders what this woman is thinking and it just might tear him up if he’s just another flame. My mother definitely likes Glenn’s version even though Pat Boone was always a favorite of hers. Of course, when it comes to Glenn she’s as biased as I am, so...

Caroline, No: I hate to say this, but the Beach Boys generally annoyed me. Too much of their surfing songs drove me up a wall. My ex-husband loved them and I always swore he played the records over and over to drive me insane. Caroline No wasn’t like their other songs, in my opinion, so I’d listen to it for that reason. It was still far from a favorite. I do enjoy listening to Glenn sing it. I let it play through and go to the next, I don’t repeat it three times like I do some of the others, but he does a great job with it. I don’t think it’s possible for him to sing something without putting a lot of himself into the song and this is a good example.

I’m Getting Old Before My Time: I don’t remember ever hearing this before. It makes me smile when I hear him sing it. He said at the songwriter’s event that he likes songs that paint a picture, and in this one I can see someone with the impatience and dramatics of youth lamenting being old and gray before the other person gets around to making a permanent commitment. He sings it well and again I feel like he’s enjoying himself.

Worried Mind: Both my parents remember this one well, but when I mentioned it, my Dad said, “The Possum.” Sure enough, I Googled it and George Jones covered it, and it’s the one with the steel guitar, not Ray Charles’s version. Glenn’s is a perfect combination of both. As I mentioned before, I’m big on ‘twang’ and steel guitars (which is good because my father insisted on playing country music from the 60s and 70s as we drove around today). This is definitely one of my favorites on the CD, and hearing it live was fantastic.

I Wanna Be Around: I’ve always loved this song! Glenn does an incredible job on it. He definitely does it more like Tony Bennett than Sinatra. This is definitely one of those ‘bittersweet’ love songs he mentioned in an interview. It’s one that I repeat several times before going on to the next song.

Same Girl: This was a very interesting choice of song to put on the CD. Glenn does it well, and I do find some humor in hearing a love song about a junkie and her pimp. While I do wonder what Randy Newman was thinking when he wrote the song, Glenn’s interpretation of it is spot-on, and his voice is much better than Randy’s IMO.

After Hours: What can I say? A Frey/Tempchin song sung by Glenn, it doesn’t get any better than this. It very definitely fits in with the CD as a whole, and I like the song and the way it’s sung. I let my mother and aunt struggle with placing it for a while before I told them it was an original. Both were very surprised. Both liked it a lot.

The Look of Love: I saved this for last because I’m still in awe of the way Glenn does this song. Still kind of speechless. This has always been one of my favorite songs. After the Falls View concerts, when I checked out GFO and saw Soda’s link to The Border (and consequently join) and read the review here, I was actually trembling with excitement at the idea of hearing my favorite artist sing one of my favorite songs. He doesn’t disappoint. He nails it and I love it. It goes without saying that I’ve listened to this song on the CD at least forty times since getting it downloaded last Tuesday. Love it love it love it.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 05-26-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Thank you so much VA! What a superb review! I won't be able to write my own until I return from the States but this gives me an idea of what I am in for!!!

Thank you, FP. I think one's initial reaction to this CD will vary depending on whether they've heard the songs before, and whether or not this genre is one that is liked. For myself, I've always listened to very wide range of genres.

Oddly enough, listening so much to Worried Mind had me listening to my Alan Jackson playlist on the way home this evening, and now I'm really looking forward to that concert next Sunday. Somehow, my AJ pre-concert anticipation has gotten lost in the shuffle.
    VK

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well as I said a few pages ago, 'For Sentimental Reasons' is definitely becoming a favourite with me! I would put it with 'After Hours' and 'The Shadow of your Smile' as probably being my top 3. Of course it's very difficult really to rank these songs in terms of like or dislike! I love them all! And I'm so fickle I could change my mind in the morning!

There are also some lyrics really starting to stand out as I listen the CD. I must post a few of them later.

Love your review VA! Im not as familiar with the original versions of many of the songs so I'm really just working on Glenn s versions.
    Last edited by Glennsallnighter; 05-14-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I finally got mine on Saturday! I couldn't wait and ripped it open to listen as I was driving to town! I've listened through a couple times and still find it hard to believe it's Glenn Frey, the rock star, singing these old songs! I think I have only heard The Good Life and The Look of Love before.

At first impression, it won't be something I listen to much. It's just not my cup of tea, but once in a while, for a certain mood, it will be nice to have. Hey, if Glenn likes it, then it must be worthwhile!

I thought about playing it for my Mom on our way out to eat yesterday, but she seemed to be in a talkative mood, so never got around to it. I will though, to see if she even likes that kind of music. Her and Dad were more in to country and western when I was a kid, I think.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I really haven't had time to do an in depth review. I to have been playing it over & over. I even listen to it on my iPod every night before I go to sleep. I can't get enough of the sound of Glenn's voice singing these songs! Only a small number were fairly familiar to me - The Look of Love (quite familiar), My Buddy (my husband plays Anne Murray's version of this a lot) & The Shadow of Your Smile (most familiar with an instrumental version).

Originally posted by VAisForEagleLovers: Here’s To Life: I’d never heard this song before, but my aunt was sure she’d heard it before. I love the way Glenn sings it, he makes it come alive. “Here’s to life and every joy it brings.” The way he sings that line and holds the ‘brings’ is amazing. Michael Bolton was right, Glenn’s voice is perfect for these songs. “Here’s to life, to dreamers and their dreams.” His voice makes my skin gooseflesh on this. It’s utterly perfect.

I couldn't agree with you more, VA! The line "to dreamers and their dreams", Is the highlight of the entire CD for me. I have the same reaction to it as you do, especially the last note on "dreams"!

I'm anxious to hear more of others opinions! I'll try to post my review of all the songs before too long.

Stuck on the Border

I feel it's time to post an initial review because I leave for LA tomorrow.

First of all I'm so glad he did it. I guess I've been wanting to hear him sing like this for a long time, and it was worth the wait. Overall I find it deeply satisfying.

Obviously there are some tracks I prefer to others. I am going to keep this fairly short because I am still getting to know it. I should state that in contrast to VA's review the only originals I knew were Caroline, No & Same Girl. While I was aware of Shadow Of Your Smile & Look Of Love I wasn't all that familiar with previous versions; same for Route 66. I knew none of the other songs.

For Sentimental Reasons: very low key but very melodic. It gets stuck in your head when you start to think about it. It's a nice way to kick off the album as it sets the mood (I guess it's like this live; I suppose I'll find out).

My Buddy: this is the weakest track. I find the whole premise of it strange, as Soda did, but it is pleasant enough. Like many of these old songs, it is probably too short. Just when you find yourself getting into the song, it ends! Nice relaxed vocal.

The Good Life: I like this a lot but again it's too short. I only remembered the 'explore the unknown' part for the first time yesterday. I may be stupid but I don't understand the last part; 'in case you wonder why/wake up, kiss the good life goodbye'. I'm not sure how that relates to the rest of the song, but it is beautifully sung.

Route 66: I thought I'd get sick of this. I haven't. He really swings it (listen to the pronunciation of 'plan' & 'two)'. I smile whenever I hear it; remember I already have a personal memory of this song, so it should be good next week.

The Shadow Of Your Smile: Torch song alert! How perfect is this? Of course, I have already seen this sung live. It was almost surreal watching it. It is just beautiful.

Here's To Life: oh. Oh. This is the highlight of the entire album for me. This may be the best, most passionate vocal he has done since POMPOY. I know he didn't write it but it seems to sum up his philosophy on many things. As VA & GA said, listen to the exquisite delivery of the lline 'to dreamers & their dreams' and try not to melt into thin air. Every time I listen to this I just go 'how does he do that'? Perhaps he thought this one was too 'cabaret' to sing live.

It's Too Soon To Know: This is the 'sleeper' of the album; I still have trouble remembering it. Love the 'big finish'! He won't die; he'll live on! You go, Glenn!

Caroline, No: Sheer perfection. Again, I've seen it. Listen to what he does when he sings 'cry' for the second time. It's so moving, so haunting. Beautiful arrangement (how I wish I could talk more about the music).

The Look Of Love: There's a bit of 'double tracking' on his voice here, I think but it's so wonderful that I just sigh at it. Again, I've seen it & it's great to sing along with. So delicate, so emotional... so Glenn.

I'm Getting Old Before My Time: Not one of my favourites, but it has quite a bluesy feel to it.

Worried Mind: This is growing on me; I can see why he did it, but I have heard so many Hank Williams songs like this (it sounds a bit similar to Van Morrison's Pay The Devil country album).

I Wanna Be Around: OOH! I didn't see this coming! I just love what 'happens' in it! The end is a classic - 'like you, LIKE YOU, broke mine'! I could listen to him sing that all day. For some reason I also like his delivery of the line 'misery loves company'. I'm glad it isn't all 'sugar & spice' and there are darker moments, speaking of which:

Same Girl: Magnificent. Just wonderful, especially the line 'a few more years on the streets, that's all'. This one is for me, the huge Randy Newman fan. I don't intend to try & convert others to its joys. I can't wait to see it.

After Hours: Let us all genuflect at the perfection of this song, be grateful that we have an official recording of it, and (for some of us) be even more grateful to see it sung live.

Can you tell I'm excited?!
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Here's To Life: oh. Oh. This is the highlight of the entire album for me. This may be the best, most passionate vocal he has done since POMPOY. I know he didn't write it but it seems to sum up his philosophy on many things. As VA & GA said, listen to the exquisite delivery of the lline 'to dreamers & their dreams' and try not to melt into thin air. Every time I listen to this I just go 'how does he do that'? Perhaps he thought this one was too 'cabaret' to sing live.
    We were told that they were to learn it and rehearse it yesterday, they didn't sing it last night. If he sings it live now that my road trip is done I'll cry. Besides the totally amazing vocals on the song, it's a good song and a happy premise.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    We were told that they were to learn it and rehearse it yesterday, they didn't sing it last night. If he sings it live now that my road trip is done I'll cry. Besides the totally amazing vocals on the song, it's a good song and a happy premise.
    Oh wow. Please let that happen. But obviously I will feel for you if you have missed it. Will it replace an existing song or be added?
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.