Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

I was going to start a new thread 'Happy Birthday After Hours' but this is just as good!

Definitely the best release of 2012,

Thank you for a wonderful album Glenn

I sincerely hope that I get to see you do more solo 'After Hours' shows - you will always find a welcome in Ireland!

For the record, my favourites......

1. After Hours
    2. For Sentimental Reasons
    3. The shadow of Your Smile
    4. Route 66
    5. Here's to Life
    6. It's Too Soon to Know
    7. The Look of Love
    8. I Wanna Be Around
    9. Caroline No
    10. Same Girl
    11. Worried Mind
    12 My Buddy
    13. The Good Life
    14. I'm Getting Old Before My Time

The lower ones vary depending on the mood I am in etc.

Love all those videos too Soda, thanks for reporting.

And I too remember all the excitement and anticipation this time last year, and the joy when I finally got that CD into my hot little hands .
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I love this album to bits! It's amazing! Glenn's voice is way too incredible and he proves it in here. My favvie track is Caroline, No. I love Glenn's style on these covers as well. Need to see him in the solo concert. Happy birthday to this incredible album!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I was pretty skeptical about this album because this just isn't my kind of music, but after listening to it many times, I really love it. Not something I listen to every day, I have to be in the mood. But when I do, I really enjoy all of it. Favorite songs are After Hours and For Sentimental Reasons.

Now, Glenn, this proves how great a singer you are and that you need to be doing more of it with your other band. We don't want to hear anymore about you doing fewer leads.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I love this album with a passion I never thought I would feel again & haven't since LROOE.

I will list the tracks in order of preference as GA has.

1 Here's To Life
    2 After Hours
    3 Same Girl
    4 The Shadow Of Your Smile
    5 The Look Of Love
    6 Route 66
    7 I Wanna Be Around
    8 It's Too Soon To Know
    9 Caroline, No
    10 For Sentimental Reasons
    11 The Good Life
    12 I'm Getting Old Before My Time
    13 Worried Mind
    14 My Buddy

It was such a privilege to watch him sing some of these songs, most of which were my favourites, except for Worried Mind & I even changed my mind about that in Sydney when he was looking at me as he was singing part of it.

I was listening to My Buddy, which is my least favourite, this morning & I love how he weaves his voice around the melody. He does that throughout. I still get chills & goosebumps over the way he sings certain words. The end of FSR when he pronounces the final 't' in heart' is similar to a moment in another favourite song of mine, A Walk In The Dark.

I am getting more into the beautiful piano & string arrangements (Same Girl, which I worship, has magnficent strings). Love the jazzy feel of Route 66. Every time he starts the song he takes me back to Niagara Falls where he pointed at me when he started to sing. Talk about inviting you on a journey.

The end of I Wanna Be Around knocks me flat every time. I'd put that into the setlist & drop Worried Mind. It's a showstopper! The title track is so mournful & reflective; it is a major piece of work. He should be proud of it. And son on & so on...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

So sorry I'm late on this, but belatedly ...

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY AFTER HOURS!!!

I have been working on a review of the songs since I didn't do one when the album first came out. I wanted to give this album some time to see if I changed my mind about any of the songs. I was hoping to have it ready to post on the anniversary date, but I haven't had time to complete it. Hopefully, I can get around to posting it soon.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well I managed to get my After Hours review finished, so here goes ...

In thinking about the After Hours album, I am reminded of something that the guys in the band always say that really rings true for me here. They always say when it’s all said and done, the Eagles’ huge and enduring success all comes down to one thing – it’s the songs.

So when I try to analyze how I feel about this album, I find that it boils down to that one thing for me – it’s the songs. Quite simply, this is my least favorite of all of Glenn’s solo albums because these are just not my types of songs. Now that doesn't mean that I don't think After Hours is a good album - as a matter of fact, I believe Glenn's renditions of most of these songs surpasses any other versions I've heard. There was a discussion recently in some other thread that mentioned ‘velvet throat’. To me, Glenn’s voice is the epitome of ‘velvet throat’ because of its plush silky smooth quality. But, as great as I think Glenn’s vocals are on this album, I just personally prefer the other style of material that he has written and recorded. My apologies to those who disagree, but that’s just the way I roll. And now, here are the songs in the order that I like them using the same scale I always use in my reviews ...

I Love It (5)

The Shadow of Your Smile – I think I’m in the minority here, but this is my absolute favorite song on the album. As I’ve said before, everything about the song is so uber romantic and fits together so perfectly – the music, the lyrics, the melody, and the vocals … WOW! Just WOW! I have listened to just about every version of the song that is on YouTube and Glenn’s adaption is a cut above them all in my humble opinion. His irresistibly seductive voice is perfectly suited for this song, and the way he sings “a teardrop kissed your lips, and so did I” is nothing short of melt-worthy. And seeing him perform it live lifts it even a notch higher. It is simply exquisite.

After Hours – Whereas some rate this song as their favorite on this album, it is my second favorite, simply because it is so understated and doesn’t have the drama that TSOYS has. And I like drama in my songs. To me, most of the songs that Glenn has written in his career stand up very well against the songs on this album, and this is certainly no exception. I agree with Soda that the lyrics portray very evocative imagery. I've said before that it speaks volumes to me about the quality of Glenn’s songwriting ability that his song is considered by many to be among the best up against these other classic standards. That is particularly true, considering that this song is far from being my favorite in his solo catalog.

Worried Mind – As many of you know, I'm not a big fan of country music, but I think this is a really good song. In addition, it is one of the standouts on the album for me partly because it differs from the other songs stylistically. As I’ve said before, the song has a great melody and I love Glenn's vocals of course, but it is actually the superb instrumentation that sells it for me. Michael Thompson has many very fine moments on the CD, but his piano solo in the bridge of this song is one of the highlights of the entire CD for me - it is simply outstanding. The fiddle and steel guitar are fantastic as well.

For Sentimental Reasons – This is another gorgeous romantic song. I love the beginning how there is almost no music and that velvet voice starts with that three-letter word “I love you …”. Again, of all the versions of the songs that I’ve heard, I prefer Glenn’s the best, both musically and vocally. As VA says, he stays true to the original song, but the way he emotes, he owns it. I wish he’d sing this song to me cause I’d definitely believe him.

I Like It a Lot (4)

I Wanna Be Around – I don’t have much to add to what others have said, but I like this song a lot too. I love Soda’s characterization as “smoothly sung snark”. I also really love Glenn’s vocal cadence in the song. And as FP mentioned, the ending is great. Unlike most of the other songs though, this isn’t my favorite rendition of the song. I prefer Eydie Gorme’s energetic jazzy interpretation that I saw on YouTube. I wish Glenn had kicked it up a notch and given the song a bit more attitude as Eydie did. Even at that, it’s still a really good song though.

It’s Too Soon to Know – This song has grown on me probably more than any others. At first, I wasn’t very fond of it at all, but, once again, Glenn nails it vocally. I really like the chorus’ – they are very melodic, but I’m not crazy about the bridge with the background singers. Even though that was a sign of the times back in the day, it kind of puts a damper on it for me and keeps me from loving the song.

Same Girl – This is the other song on the album that has really grown on me. However, unlike FP, I don’t think of joy when I hear the song. The best way I can describe it is ‘hauntingly beautiful’. I also can’t really agree with Soda about the lyrics not fitting. I think of the lyrics, melody, and music as all being ‘hauntingly beautiful, which is why I think the song is so well-constructed. This continuity is what helps give the song its emotion and energy for me. And Glenn’s vocals vs. Randy’s vocals – no comparison AFAIC.

Route 66 – I agree with others that I have never really loved this song. However, I also agree that Glenn’s is one of the best renditions I’ve heard. Like FP, I love his phraseology with the words. I rate it higher than I would normally because I do think that it standouts on the album since it is the only uptempo tune and because I appreciate the cultural significance of the song.

I Like It (3)

The Look of Love – My description of Same Girl above is almost the polar opposite of this song. I don’t like the construction of this song. I love the chorus, but don’t really care for the melody in the verses at all. I also love the romantic lyrics, but the upbeat tempo doesn’t seem to fit the same mood that the lyrics convey. The whole song just seems to be disjointed to me. Sorry VA – I know how much you love this song, but it just doesn’t move me in the same way as it does you. I do agree that Glenn does nail the vocals though.

Here's to Life – I’m afraid I have to agree with Soda about this song. It just doesn’t rock my world. I find it way too slow, melancholy, and mundane to be such a supposed celebration of life. I think I could deal with the slow tempo if there was a more of a steady build in intensity throughout the song à la The Shadow of Your Smile instead of saving it all for the end. Given the song’s shortcomings though, Glenn’s vocals are amazing and he does his best to bring energy to the song. I do melt into thin air when I hear the “to dreamers and their dreams” line, as I think of him singing that to me. As FP and VA described, his vocal delivery is utterly perfect, exquisite, and any other similar adjective that you can come up with.

Caroline, No – It’s something about this song that just doesn’t grab me, and I’m not even sure I know what it is. I think it must be the falsetto or maybe the melody. I agree that with Soda that Glenn really sells the song and really throws himself into it. I think his vocals are great and his voice is very well-suited for the song. I also agree with FP that the music is beautifully arranged. But still – I’m not crazy about it even though I think I should be. Go figure ???

The Good Life – I’m really starting to repeat myself now. Again, great vocal, best version of the song I’ve heard, such passion. Still – the song just doesn’t do much for me.

My Buddy – I actually love the sentiment of this song. Other than that, see the comments above for The Good Life.

I'm Getting Old Before My Time (3) – Well I have to agree that the song’s lyric paint a picture, but not in a good way for me. I don’t like the image of old man Frey singing this song. I was about to say see the comments for The Good Life again, but I’ll use this space to summarize my feelings about this album. To me, many of these sound like the same song over and over – I just don’t think there is anything particularly unique or spectacular about them. I think I may prefer some of them better in isolation rather than listening to them all together because the stylistic differences between them are too subtle, not the blatant variety that I prefer.

And as a final side note, if Glenn wants to do another cover album of old standards, what about an album of Motown hits from his native hometown of Detroit? Now, that’s something I think I could get into if his rendition of My Girl is any indication. He could hit that out of the park, I’d bet.

5 - I love it
    4 - I really like it
    3 - I like it
    2 - meh
    1 – yikes

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well I managed to get my After Hours review finished, so here goes ...

In thinking about the After Hours album, I am reminded of something that the guys in the band always say that really rings true for me here. They always say when it’s all said and done, the Eagles’ huge and enduring success all comes down to one thing – it’s the songs.

So when I try to analyze how I feel about this album, I find that it boils down to that one thing for me – it’s the songs. Quite simply, this is my least favorite of all of Glenn’s solo albums because these are just not my types of songs. Now that doesn't mean that I don't think After Hours is a good album - as a matter of fact, I believe Glenn's renditions of most of these songs surpasses any other versions I've heard. There was a discussion recently in some other thread that mentioned ‘velvet throat’. To me, Glenn’s voice is the epitome of ‘velvet throat’ because of its plush silky smooth quality. But, as great as I think Glenn’s vocals are on this album, I just personally prefer the other style of material that he has written and recorded. My apologies to those who disagree, but that’s just the way I roll. And now, here are the songs in the order that I like them using the same scale I always use in my reviews ...

I Love It (5)

The Shadow of Your Smile – I think I’m in the minority here, but this is my absolute favorite song on the album. As I’ve said before, everything about the song is so uber romantic and fits together so perfectly – the music, the lyrics, the melody, and the vocals … WOW! Just WOW! I have listened to just about every version of the song that is on YouTube and Glenn’s adaption is a cut above them all in my humble opinion. His irresistibly seductive voice is perfectly suited for this song, and the way he sings “a teardrop kissed your lips, and so did I” is nothing short of melt-worthy. And seeing him perform it live lifts it even a notch higher. It is simply exquisite.

After Hours – Whereas some rate this song as their favorite on this album, it is my second favorite, simply because it is so understated and doesn’t have the drama that TSOYS has. And I like drama in my songs. To me, most of the songs that Glenn has written in his career stand up very well against the songs on this album, and this is certainly no exception. I agree with Soda that the lyrics portray very evocative imagery. I've said before that it speaks volumes to me about the quality of Glenn’s songwriting ability that his song is considered by many to be among the best up against these other classic standards. That is particularly true, considering that this song is far from being my favorite in his solo catalog.

Worried Mind – As many of you know, I'm not a big fan of country music, but I think this is a really good song. In addition, it is one of the standouts on the album for me partly because it differs from the other songs stylistically. As I’ve said before, the song has a great melody and I love Glenn's vocals of course, but it is actually the superb instrumentation that sells it for me. Michael Thompson has many very fine moments on the CD, but his piano solo in the bridge of this song is one of the highlights of the entire CD for me - it is simply outstanding. The fiddle and steel guitar are fantastic as well.

For Sentimental Reasons – This is another gorgeous romantic song. I love the beginning how there is almost no music and that velvet voice starts with that three-letter word “I love you …”. Again, of all the versions of the songs that I’ve heard, I prefer Glenn’s the best, both musically and vocally. As VA says, he stays true to the original song, but the way he emotes, he owns it. I wish he’d sing this song to me cause I’d definitely believe him.

I Like It a Lot (4)

I Wanna Be Around – I don’t have much to add to what others have said, but I like this song a lot too. I love Soda’s characterization as “smoothly sung snark”. I also really love Glenn’s vocal cadence in the song. And as FP mentioned, the ending is great. Unlike most of the other songs though, this isn’t my favorite rendition of the song. I prefer Eydie Gorme’s energetic jazzy interpretation that I saw on YouTube. I wish Glenn had kicked it up a notch and given the song a bit more attitude as Eydie did. Even at that, it’s still a really good song though.

It’s Too Soon to Know – This song has grown on me probably more than any others. At first, I wasn’t very fond of it at all, but, once again, Glenn nails it vocally. I really like the chorus’ – they are very melodic, but I’m not crazy about the bridge with the background singers. Even though that was a sign of the times back in the day, it kind of puts a damper on it for me and keeps me from loving the song.

Same Girl – This is the other song on the album that has really grown on me. However, unlike FP, I don’t think of joy when I hear the song. The best way I can describe it is ‘hauntingly beautiful’. I also can’t really agree with Soda about the lyrics not fitting. I think of the lyrics, melody, and music as all being ‘hauntingly beautiful, which is why I think the song is so well-constructed. This continuity is what helps give the song its emotion and energy for me. And Glenn’s vocals vs. Randy’s vocals – no comparison AFAIC.

Route 66 – I agree with others that I have never really loved this song. However, I also agree that Glenn’s is one of the best renditions I’ve heard. Like FP, I love his phraseology with the words. I rate it higher than I would normally because I do think that it standouts on the album since it is the only uptempo tune and because I appreciate the cultural significance of the song.

I Like It (3)

The Look of Love – My description of Same Girl above is almost the polar opposite of this song. I don’t like the construction of this song. I love the chorus, but don’t really care for the melody in the verses at all. I also love the romantic lyrics, but the upbeat tempo doesn’t seem to fit the same mood that the lyrics convey. The whole song just seems to be disjointed to me. Sorry VA – I know how much you love this song, but it just doesn’t move me in the same way as it does you. I do agree that Glenn does nail the vocals though.

Here's to Life – I’m afraid I have to agree with Soda about this song. It just doesn’t rock my world. I find it way too slow, melancholy, and mundane to be such a supposed celebration of life. I think I could deal with the slow tempo if there was a more of a steady build in intensity throughout the song à la The Shadow of Your Smile instead of saving it all for the end. Given the song’s shortcomings though, Glenn’s vocals are amazing and he does his best to bring energy to the song. I do melt into thin air when I hear the “to dreamers and their dreams” line, as I think of him singing that to me. As FP and VA described, his vocal delivery is utterly perfect, exquisite, and any other similar adjective that you can come up with.

Caroline, No – It’s something about this song that just doesn’t grab me, and I’m not even sure I know what it is. I think it must be the falsetto or maybe the melody. I agree that with Soda that Glenn really sells the song and really throws himself into it. I think his vocals are great and his voice is very well-suited for the song. I also agree with FP that the music is beautifully arranged. But still – I’m not crazy about it even though I think I should be. Go figure ???

The Good Life – I’m really starting to repeat myself now. Again, great vocal, best version of the song I’ve heard, such passion. Still – the song just doesn’t do much for me.

My Buddy – I actually love the sentiment of this song. Other than that, see the comments above for The Good Life.

I'm Getting Old Before My Time (3) – Well I have to agree that the song’s lyric paint a picture, but not in a good way for me. I don’t like the image of old man Frey singing this song. I was about to say see the comments for The Good Life again, but I’ll use this space to summarize my feelings about this album. To me, many of these sound like the same song over and over – I just don’t think there is anything particularly unique or spectacular about them. I think I may prefer some of them better in isolation rather than listening to them all together because the stylistic differences between them are too subtle, not the blatant variety that I prefer.

And as a final side note, if Glenn wants to do another cover album of old standards, what about an album of Motown hits from his native hometown of Detroit? Now, that’s something I think I could get into if his rendition of My Girl is any indication. He could hit that out of the park, I’d bet.

5 - I love it
    4 - I really like it
    3 - I like it
    2 - meh
    1 – yikes

This is pretty much what I would've written about the album...I think my absolute favorite is "For Sentimental Reasons" followed by After Hours..and I really like Worried Mind as well...and try as I may, Caroline No, just doesn't do it for me...but overall I really like the "feel" of this CD...and his voice just sends shivers down my spine..He's a much better singer than I ever thought he was..He's still got it..for sure!!!

Thanks for your detailed review, dreamer! I too would love to hear Glenn tackle Motown / R&B or maybe Beatles/60s stuff. His live covers of "My Girl" and "I Saw Her Standing There" bring the house down, just to name a couple examples.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Thanks for your detailed review, dreamer! I too would love to hear Glenn tackle Motown / R&B or maybe Beatles/60s stuff. His live covers of "My Girl" and "I Saw Her Standing There" bring the house down, just to name a couple examples.
    Me too! Didn't know he did those. I said a while back I'd love to hear him cover My Girl. Also would love to hear him sing Just My Imagination or Ain't Too Proud To Beg. He did do Some Kind Of Wonderful which is very RnB influenced and I remember seeing that video on YouTube and he did a great job. That could go on the record too.

I think AH is a good record, albeit not my type of music at all. I have respect for any traditional music form, but it isn't my thing. I do like Route 66 a lot and it's definitely my fav from there. On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of Motown music and that's sort of odd for a diehard rocker but I love that stuff. Even Joe said a while back that his favorite guitar riff was the "My Girl" riff.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Dreamer, when I talked about Same Girl I said I would not try to convert others to its 'joys' meaning its strengths or power. At the time a lot of other people didn't seem to like it the way I did (remember it was voted off first in Survivor). It's an incredibly powerful performance. Seeing it live was a privilege & being acknowledged for my appreciation of Mr Newman was an honour.

I can't agree that Here's To Life is 'melancholy & mundane'. Not all celebrations of life have to be about having a party. I love the reflectiveness of it; I also love that I heard Glenn say that it described his own life. As for it not building in intensity - I could not disagree more. It's a slow burn.

This became my second favourite album very quickly. I now think that doing Motown would be too obvious. If he does this again I would like him to do more singer-songwriter type material with perhaps one or two Motown songs; not an entire album.