Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I can't agree that Here's To Life is 'melancholy & mundane'. Not all celebrations of life have to be about having a party. I love the reflectiveness of it; I also love that I heard Glenn say that it described his own life. As for it not building in intensity - I could not disagree more. It's a slow burn.
    FP, we just have to agree to disagree about Here's to Life. I appreciate that you love it, but it strikes me as having a melancholy and mundane tone. I didn't say a celebration of life needed to be a party or a romp. However, when I listen to the song, I think 'Geez, if this is as much excitement and energy as you can muster up about your life, dude, then that's pretty sad.' I get the song, but it's reflectiveness doesn't move me the way it does you. It's possible I would have appreciated it a little more if I had seen it performed live, but even then, I doubt that I would love it. Besides, I tried to keep my review about the songs on the album, not the live performances. Oh well, different strokes.

This became my second favourite album very quickly. I now think that doing Motown would be too obvious. If he does this again I would like him to do more singer-songwriter type material with perhaps one or two Motown songs; not an entire album.
    Again - to each their own. I would absolutely love to see him do Motown. I'm not sure exactly why it would be too obvious or even if it matters, but I think he would totally nail those songs. Besides, paying homage to his hometown would be really cool IMO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    FP, we just have to agree to disagree about Here's to Life. I appreciate that you love it, but it strikes me as having a melancholy and mundane tone. I didn't say a celebration of life needed to be a party or a romp. However, when I listen to the song, I think 'Geez, if this is as much excitement and energy as you can muster up about your life, dude, then that's pretty sad.' I get the song, but it's reflectiveness doesn't move me the way it does you. It's possible I would have appreciated it a little more if I had seen it performed live, but even then, I doubt that I would love it. Besides, I tried to keep my review about the songs on the album, not the live performances. Oh well, different strokes.

Again - to each their own. I would absolutely love to see him do Motown. I'm not sure exactly why it would be too obvious or even if it matters, but I think he would totally nail those songs. Besides, paying homage to his hometown would be really cool IMO.
    I would LOVE for him to record "MY GIRL"..I think he does it beautifully..

Stuck on the Border

Here's To Life was my favourite song on the album before I saw it performed live but I did think the live performances added an extra dimension. I do understand that you were doing a review for the first time so you wanted to confine it to the studio versions, which is fair enough, but as I already had done that, I now feel free to discuss how I feel about the live versions. I feel differently about FSR now that I have seen it live, for instance. I listen to the studio version with more appreciation.

I guess I don't understand why you think HTL needed to have 'excitement and energy'. It's like a soliloquy. That's the last I will say about it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-12-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Seeing "Here's to Life" live gave me a whole new appreciation for the song, because Glenn sold it HARD! I was blown away. That said, I still can't get into the album version.

Dreamer never declared no one could talk about live performances, FP. She simply said SHE didn't consider it.

We all have different perspectives and there's certainly no reason to get agitated or defensive if someone doesn't feel the same way you do, or use the same criteria you do to evaluate songs.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Seeing "Here's to Life" live gave me a whole new appreciation for the song, because Glenn sold it HARD! I was blown away. That said, I still can't get into the album version.

Dreamer never declared no one could talk about live performances, FP. She simply said SHE didn't consider it.

We all have different perspectives and there's certainly no reason to get agitated or defensive if someone doesn't feel the same way you do, or use the same criteria you do to evaluate songs.
    I've edited that; see above.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

There was a discussion recently in some other thread that mentioned ‘velvet throat’. To me, Glenn’s voice is the epitome of ‘velvet throat’ because of its plush silky smooth quality.
    I think 'velvet throat' describes Glenn's voice perfectly too! I've always thought Glenn's voice was sweet, soft, and smooth, so 'velvet' certainly goes along with that. (Velvet can be sweet can't it? lol)

I think wherever it was used they were describing Don's voice, but to me his is 'rough, raspy, and very sexy'. And I love it, but it's not smooth. To me anyway.

Great reviews everyone!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

ITA with you here, Brooke about Don's voice. As uber sexy, wonderful, and amazing as his voice is, I actually don't think of it as smooth and velvety either.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I haven't heard this album of Glenn's, but I'm a huge Randy Newman fan. I think Randy has captured real sadness in this song. The helpless people on the streets who have no control of their lives deserve a voice. You could take this song in two ways. It's either

a) an asshole singing to the girl he's selling around, OR

b) a song about two people on the streets who really ARE in love, but have no other way to survive but to have the girl have sex with paying customers. I don't know what Randy meant, but I know that he's a person who really cares about people. So another interpretation of the song is that the guy is telling the girl: "I love you baby, and I'm sorry for this crap you have to go through. But soon we will have enough money to start a new, better life together".

Either way, Randy is on the girl's side, that's for sure. It's a tragic song and it breaks my heart.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-11-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I haven't heard this album of Glenn's, but I'm a huge Randy Newman fan. I think Randy has captured real sadness in this song, once again. The helpless people on the streets who have no control of their lives deserve a voice. You could take this song in two ways. It's either

a) an asshole singing to the girl he's selling around, OR

b) a song about two people on the streets who really ARE in love, but have no other way to survive but to have the girl have sex with paying customers. I don't know what Randy meant, but I know that he's a person who really cares about people. So another interpretation of the song is that the guy is telling the girl: "I love you baby, and I'm sorry for this crap you have to go through. But soon we will have enough money to start a new, better life together".

Either way, Randy is on the girl's side, that's for sure. It's a tragic song and it breaks my heart.
    Mine as well. PLEASE, chaim, PLEASE listen to Glenn's version of the song. He really makes you feel for the people involved. It is my second favourite track on this album after Here's To Life.

Stuck on the Border

Mine as well. PLEASE, chaim, PLEASE listen to Glenn's version of the song. He really makes you feel for the people involved. It is my second favourite track on this album after Here's To Life.
    I tried to find this song, but it isn't on YouTube. Sooner or later I will get all the Glenn stuff, but because this album is not in stores here in Finland, I must order it at some point. I'm very much looking forward to hearing it, but I must say that I consider Glenn very much a writer, so I'm not as interested in hearing him sing songs by other people.