Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    In one of the promotional interviews, Glenn mentioned Sam Cooke and he included a song called "I'll Come Running Back to You" in his 2006 tour. I'm guessing this was a contender for After Hours:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAvJ6cxMrg0
    I hadn't realized that. Ooh, I wish he had done that one! Maybe he could have gotten rid of "I'm Getting Old Before My Time" which doesn't really work for a man lyrically - not to stereotype or anything, but the man is supposed to be shelling out for the engagement ring. The idea that a man would ask a woman to buy him one "for a dime" rather than buying it himself could be done satirically, but he's singing it straight, so... it never worked for me, despite a nice melody. (What can I say, I analyze lyrics like I do literature; it's my way, lol).

The best song on that album is the Frey/Tempchin title track. So moving, such elegant simplicity, such beauty, such emotion.... I adore it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Thanks for posting "I'll Come Running Back to You" UndertheWire. I can definitely hear Glenn singing that. Maybe it'll turn up on After Hours II if it ever come out. Glenn's pretty good at pickin' out tunes to cover.

Some tracks work better than others on After Hours but they're all very listenable and all stronger than I Love To Watch A Woman Dance imho.

Not quite sure what the Eagles saw in I Love To Watch A Woman Dance when there are so many wonderful tracks, such as I'll Come running Back To You that they could have covered instead.

Actually, if Glenn was singing it in 2006, it could be a Long Road Out Of Eden reject.

Stuck on the Border

I saw him do I'll Come Running Back To You at Niagara Falls in 2011 & there was no suggestion that he considered including it on After Hours. I don't think it would have fit the mood of the album. I wish I had a recording of it. Near the end he sings something about being in London, England, Niagara Falls, and wanting to come running back etc. I was delighted by the London reference. The song would also not have worked on LROOE, whereas ILTWAWD did, in my view, despite the widespread dislike for it. So again, I don't believe he considered it for LROOE either.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-13-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I plan on giving this album a listen to tomorrow. I just discovered that it was available on Spotify for listening. (I thought that only his older albums were available). The only ones that I am familiar with are Sentimental Reasons (thanks to a M*A*S*H episode where Col. Potter is obsessed with that song) and Route 66 (my mom showed me it when the movie Cars came out). I find it hard to get into music that was made before the mid 60s (British invasion and the folk rock scene in California), but I'm curious as to what it sounds like.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Well, I just finished listening to this album. As I figured, it's really not my kind of music. I just can't get into the piano heavy, jazzy stuff. I respect that he made this album, and his reasons why, but it's just not for me. The only exception is Route 66. I liked his version alot. It has a much different tempo than the other songs, which I find very enjoyable. Isn't there a music video for the song? The title track is also pretty good. Those 2 are the keepers for me.

I agree that I would love to hear do a motown album. While it's not something that I listen to daily, I love the 60s motown when I'm in the right mood,
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Well, I just finished listening to this album. As I figured, it's really not my kind of music. I just can't get into the piano heavy, jazzy stuff. I respect that he made this album, and his reasons why, but it's just not for me. The only exception is Route 66. I liked his version alot. It has a much different tempo than the other songs, which I find very enjoyable. Isn't there a music video for the song? The title track is also pretty good. Those 2 are the keepers for me.

I agree that I would love to hear do a motown album. While it's not something that I listen to daily, I love the 60s motown when I'm in the right mood,
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnQKSIshNQ[/ame]

You can find more of Glenn's videos in this thread:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...read.php?t=152

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Thanks FP!
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Well having seen him do this live , I respect the man . I
    respect his talent and his ability to do things outside the box or his comfort zone.

The music is beautiful ,
    and he did it as a gift to his mother .
    I'm so Glad he did it before she passed.

As hh says "that man could sing the phone book and id pay to hear him do it
    Last edited by Tiffanny Twisted; 05-27-2015 at 10:10 PM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I was talking to Soda about other things yesterday, and happened to mention a song on this album, My Buddy. I believe I mentioned the story elsewhere in this thread, and I had a dream about it later, and documented that in the Dream thread. To quickly sum it up, as I listened to After Hours for the first time and this song came on, it brought back a memory of my grandfather and I, when he sang this song to me. He would have been close to 60, and I was little more than a toddler, 3 or 4 years old. My grandfather had a massive stroke when he was 62 and couldn't sing after that, and my memories of him singing are few. In the dream I had later, my grandfather and I were on the porch and he was about the age he was then, and I was about the age I am now. My mother put After Hours in a boom box on the porch, and Pappap and I were sitting on a step he always liked to sit on. He put his arm around me and sang My Buddy with Glenn, I could hear both voices and they blended beautifully. Telling it to Soda in more detail brought tears to my eyes, and so today after work, I had to listen to it again. It felt like my grandfather was there in the truck with me.

I'm just so happy that Glenn put out this album for a lot of reasons, but the fact he happened to include that song and it brought back a memory so sweet for me makes it all so much better.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Banned

Thanks for sharing that VA. If ever you get to meet Glenn, I'm sure he'd love to hear that story, while the rest of us remain tongue tied, determined not to say something embarrassing.