Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Yep - Thanks from me too, GL. I'm so glad we got to see that. I must say that was, indeed, an excellent choice of music. Ever since After Hours was released, I've thought Glenn's versions of most of these songs is the best there is!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Thanks so much GL! I love that song so much after seeing Glenn do it live. Makes me so nostalgic for those good old days when he released the album!
    I miss those days too. Only four years ago, and nearly three years since the solo tour down here.

'Can we ever bring 'em back once they have gone'?

Hard to believe it's been that long. Here's to Glenn!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Not sure how I feel about this writer's interpretation, but here is a posthumous writeup about After Hours that I found in the The LA Times ...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...119-story.html

January 19, 2016
    Mikael Wood, Contact Reporter
    Los Angeles Times

In 'After Hours,' Glenn Frey's unlikely goodbye carries a hidden slyness

In 2012, Glenn Frey released an album of standards, "After Hours." The singer and guitarist died Monday.
    (Autumn de Wilde)

Few who followed the Eagles through the 1970s could’ve envisioned Glenn Frey coming to roost on “After Hours,” the singer and guitarist’s slick 2012 solo album of old-school vocal pop. Not because rockers don’t do standards, of course: Rod Stewart and Paul McCartney dug through the Great American Songbook before the former Eagle did, and Bob Dylan and Annie Lennox went there after.

Indeed, it was Frey’s old pal Linda Ronstadt who set a template for this kind of thing 30 years ago with her extended (and super-successful) collaboration with the arranger Nelson Riddle.

But beneath the Eagles’ famously sun-warmed sound ran a pretty cold-blooded view of romance and celebrity. And here was Frey, the guy who sang about "your lyin' eyes" with more than a little recognition, crooning, “I love you for sentimental reasons,” over tinkling wine-bar piano.
    The way the Eagles saw it, nobody did anything -- least of all love someone -- for sentimental reasons.

So it seems safe to say that Frey, who died Monday at age 67, didn’t intend for “After Hours” to be his final artistic statement. He wasn’t reflecting on a life’s philosophy the way David Bowie appears to have been doing with his death-obsessed “Blackstar.”

In a way, though, that’s what’s sort of great -- and maybe a bit characteristic after all -- about the album. For one thing, Frey’s light touch refreshes material that’s grown bogged down with the weight of endless interpretation -- tunes like “The Look of Love” and “The Shadow of Your Smile,” which Frey delivers with an appealing nonchalance, as though they’re ditties he just dashed off in an afternoon. Even “Here’s to Life,” that potentially dramatic toast to the end of the road, becomes a lark in Frey’s hands.

Was he consciously undermining the big emotions in these songs? And was the album’s assembly-line production saying something about pop’s easy commodification (a very Eagles idea)?

When Frey spoke about the record to The Times in 2012, he suggested that its sound was his attempt to stave off the boredom of checking into “Hotel California” yet again.

Yet there’s a hidden slyness to these renditions that gives “After Hours” the feel of a killer set-up.

You keep waiting for the punch line, and now it’ll never come.

Stuck on the Border

I don't understand the 'hidden slyness' part at all. What does that even mean? I also don't agree that the songs were just delivered 'nonchalantly'. He put his heart & soul into them.

'Assembly line production'? In what sense?

Sadly this album along with a couple of significant tracks from LROOE must stand as his testament unless the rumoured nearly finished album of original material can be completed.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-10-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I hate the LA Times review and revisit of After Hours. I must be listening to a different CD.

Why is it so hard to believe that a man in his sixties and married for more than twenty years would have a different view of love than when he was young and single?

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Glenn did put his heart and soul into After Hours. Heck, he did the album for his parents! Even though I don't listen to album much, Glenn's singing is absolutely beautiful.

I can see the point of not thinking that the 70s Glenn Frey would do an album like AH, but 33 years had passed since the end of that decade and 2012!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree with you all and I love this album. I didn't even know about it till the day he passed and my Mom was watching YT vids on her phone of him and found it. Again we both love 40s music and were blown away by this. His voice is amazing on it and it was so heartfelt imo. Reading he did that for his parents made it even more special to me. I agree that people change and wisdom comes as we age so yeah he wouldn't have recorded this when he was young but it fits for where he was at around 2012. Totally need to buy this now even though I've listened to it many times on my tablet. LOL

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I remember when this album came out and I thought that I wouldn't really like it. That kind of music just wasn't my cup of tea. But as I listened to it more and more it grew on me and I thought he did a perfect job on it. I really love listening to it now. His voice is just gorgeous and we all know how meticulous Glenn is and I don't think he could have done it any better. And how sweet that he did it for his parents?! I sure do wish I had gotten to see him do some of the songs from it live.

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Yep - Yesterday when I came across this article, I just scanned through it. After reading through it again, I have to agree with all of you - just one more misinformed clueless writer.