Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

I think that Glenn's voice is so amazing on the entire album that even though some of the songs might not be what I would pick, I love them all. Caroline, No seems to be a favorite so far but oddly enough, it isn't one of my top picks. Nor is Same Girl. I seem to be more attracted to the older songs although I hadn't heard many of them before. I must be showing my age, but I'm not that old! LOL! The exception is After Hours. I have always wanted Glenn to record this & he surpassed my expectations of it. I'm glad he kept the "rainy streets" line as well.

I do agree that some of the lyrics are a bit odd. I don't know if it is the influence of the times in which they were written or not. They don't bother me, other than one line in 'Same Girl". The line "a few more holes in your arm" is a bit disturbing to me. Other than that the entire album gives me thrills every time I hear it!
    Last edited by GlennLover; 05-08-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Addition

I agree about the falsetto on Caroline, No, as well. I would have preferred if he had used his natural register, but I'm being picky.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I agree about the falsetto on Caroline, No, as well. I would have preferred if he had used his natural register, but I'm being picky.
    He is doing that because that is what Brian Wilson did in the original song.

I am not concerned about what Same Girl is about because I was already familiar with the song. From what I have heard, Glenn's version sounded superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He is doing that because that is what Brian Wilson did in the original song.

I am not concerned about what Same Girl is about because I was already familiar with the song. From what I have heard, Glenn's version sounded superb.
    I didn't know that Brian Wilson did that.

Yes, Glenn's version of Same Girl is indeed superb!

I listened to the CD on my way home from work. In fact, I made a several-mile detour so I could hear the whole thing. Overall, I liked it better than I expected to. It helped that it was a rainy drive home, so it fit the music perfectly. Here are a few thoughts:

- Soda's description of Glenn's voice as "melted chocolate" is spot on.

- I probably would not have enjoyed it as much if I hadn't had all the previews. All the press Glenn's been doing eased the transition and managed my expectations.

- like GL, I found I liked the older songs better. My favorites were For Sentimental Reasons, Shadow of Your Smile, It's Too Soon To Know, and After Hours.

- Route 66 gave me cravings for peach pie. Long story.

- I think I prefer to listen to the songs rather than see them performed. Not that I'm giving up my Foxwoods tickets, of course. It's just that at one point, I found myself imagining Allnighter-era Glenn in a tux singing the songs I was hearing and almost had to turn up the defogger. My, it got steamy! The Today show performance had nothing on my imagination. That's just me, of course.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post

- Route 66 gave me cravings for peach pie. Long story.
    I'm betting that of all the reactions he may have thought he'd get to this song, this wasn't one of them!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I'm betting that of all the reactions he may have thought he'd get to this song, this wasn't one of them!

As opposed to 'gimme another piece of that pecan pie' presumably.

The attraction of the song for me (vocals aside) is the place names. They are so resonant. In the postcards swapping site I belong to, I'm always finding Route 66 cards & in fact, a very nice Borderer sent me one before we ever knew Glenn was recording this song.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    LOL! It's because the song mentions Barstow. On a trip to California back before we were married, my husband and I stopped at this bakery in Barstow and bought a peach pie because it looked really good. We ate the whole thing as dinner that night. Best pie ever!

In fact, when I got home last night and mentioned my reaction to the song, my husband immediately asked, "Why? Does it mention Barstow?"

I plan to try to pick up a copy today. Will try a couple of different places.

I'm curious to see how I like it. I really love Route 66, but I'm guessing that's because I'm very familiar with it, although more in a rock n' roll Chuck Berry type shuffle fashion than the way Glenn does it, but I still love it. We'll see how I like the other songs. I haven't heard them yet. Being a rock n' roll type it might not be my thing, that said I'm one of the biggest RnB/Soul fans but not usually Jazz or such. But Marvin Gaye and Motown stuff I love. Go figure.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I can almost guarantee that if you don't like it so much now, you will in several years Austin.

I am probably about as hardcore 'rocker' chick as anyone in here but as I'm getting older I am loving to embrace new things and like yourself, I really love old R&B and Motown and even really old stuff that influenced groups like the Rolling Stones. (that's old!) The 70's era Glenn and Eagles will always be my favorite so it's going to be an adjustment for me to start accepting that, well, he's a much older man now. Nevermind the fact that I have to accept that I'm becoming an older woman... but that's another story, for another thread... heck, probably for another forum! lol

I am so far behind on the forum and what's going on where and I can't even begin to sort through the who's playing where threads and who's going to which shows... BUT, if someone would be so kind to post what kind of tshirts they have available at the Glenn shows, I'd love to know. I love the one with the CD... do I get that through Amazon? I need help/advise!

My mind is Tiffany twisted