Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: May 9th Town Hall NYC

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: May 9th Town Hall NYC

I'm not that bothered about him not doing it in LA, much as I love it. I understand his reasoning.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I guess I didn't miss it because the rest of the show was just so good! I'm not sure what we'll get at the other shows, but I imagine, FP, that the Wiltern show will be more similar to what we had last night, since a symphony will be there as well.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

That is why I feel so immensely privileged to be attending it. It doesn't bother me that I'm staying at the 'wrong end' of Wilshire Blvd now (I needed to be close to the theatre).

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Exactly. It's why I decided to suck it up and go last night. Even I think that two Eagles shows and three Glenn solo shows in 16 days is a little over the top. I had no intentions of going to any others, but it seemed like hearing it all with the symphony would be worth it and it was. I haven't yet told my boss that I'm taking time off next Friday. He'll think I'm crazy.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Exactly. It's why I decided to suck it up and go last night. Even I think that two Eagles shows and three Glenn solo shows in 16 days is a little over the top. I had no intentions of going to any others, but it seemed like hearing it all with the symphony would be worth it and it was. I haven't yet told my boss that I'm taking time off next Friday. He'll think I'm crazy.
    He will? Bad boss.
    Never mind, come Friday you can to work...
    and
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    I haven't seen any tour-date additions to his website, but the T-Shirts we bought read:

New York, Washington DC, Englewood, Bethlehem, Mashantucket, Los Angeles, San Jose and Saratoga so maybe GA's dream will come true and one of these two additional dates will fit her schedule!!
    Gosh, if he does San Jose and Saratoga I might get to see him yet. The Bay Area is only a 7 hour drive south and that's my home turf so I always have someone to stay with!

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Here's my last thoughts. Thanks, VA for picking up the slack.

On The One You Love what struck me was the sax. So smokey and soulful. Glenn's voice was too. When introducing After Hours he mentioned that it had originally been written to be on The Allnighter Album but because all of the events in the songs on that album happened between Sunset and Sunrise they (he and Jack Tempchin) felt it didn't fit in for that album, but that it was a perfect fit for this record. I loved Glenn's breathy vocal on this song. Michael Thompson's piano playing was fabulous.

The new arrangement he did for The Heat Is On was very different and unexpected. I LOVED it. Kind of Cab Calloway scat and jazzy at the same time. The upright bass and sax were outstanding on this song.

Smuggler's Blues was an uptempo, hot, slick, smokey-vocal version that they really seemed to have a good time performing. Glenn did the growly "Yow's" at the end. Really fun. He said that years of personal research went into that song.

Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed was fun too. Really uptempo and fun. They finished it strong with a loud harmony of the title line and then deafening silence. The crowd loved it.

YBTTC, TITTL & Desperado stayed pretty true to the original recordings with no arrangement changes -- well none that my untrained ears could hear. The vocal on YBTTC was silky smooth and again, I loved the sax. It's funny --even though I didn't have a clear view of the sax player all night because of the strange angle of my seat in relationship to where he stood, his playing was a definite highlight for me and I thought it really "made" a lot of the songs. I don't know if it was the lack of a visual that made me listen more closely or if he was just that freakin good. I'm gonna go with just that freakin good.
    Anybody know his name? I'm sorry I didn't catch it.

The second encore was On The Way Home and Take It Easy and left everyone on their feet for a well-deserved standing ovation. I was so happy to have been there. Glenn seemed to really enjoy himself. I know I did.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It occurred to me that there is a significant omission from this setlist - Heartache Tonight.

VA's right. Unless he changed the arrangment as he did for THIO and SB it would not have "fit" into the evening. The vibe was different than Niagara Falls. It would have changed the mood considerably and while I would have enjoyed hearing him sing it, I think it was the right choice. You'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post

Are San Jose and Saratoga near each other?
    Saratoga is a sneeze southwest of San Jose. My guesstimate would be about a half hour or so depending on what part of San Jose as it is rather large and of course traffic patterns. I have no guess as to where in San Jose he's planning on playing. In Saratoga I would assume he's looking at the Mountain Winery. I've not been to a concert there but the one I went to at the Wente Winery in Livermore was lovely. I'm down for Bay Area shows. Bring it on Glenn!

Out on the Border

Hi All,
    Great Site! Went to the show at Town Hall and wanted to give my two cents...First off I had just gotten back from Vegas a couple weeks earlier where I saw the Eagles, so I was on an Eagles high...And needed my fix

I really wanted to see Glenn perform solo as I convinced the wife to go with me. Got fourth row tickets on stub hub, but since town Hall is so small any seat was good. Glenn came out and started off with PEF and then into a couple more Eagles hits. All I can remember was during Lying Eyes I said to myself I need to get tickets for his Jersey show next week.

After Lying Eyes he brought out the NYU Symphony and went into Route 66. I really enjoyed it... After doing a few more songs off After Hours this is where I started to lose my high... I understand this is his new album and he's going to play stuff off of it but seven songs in a row was a little too much. I thought he could of broken it up a little better and played a few here and there, but maybe because he was playing with the symphony he couldn't. Also my wife thought he was off key on some of his new material. I thought he sounded good.

After Worried Mind he went into the One You Love and he hit that one out of the park!!! Then he changed things up with The Heat Is On. I enjoyed his new version and it looked like he was enjoying it too. The only thing I would have changed was half way through it I would have gone back to the rock version...A little of each.

After a few more solo songs he went into his version of Desperado. His version blew me away. He could give Don a run for his money...That was worth the price of admission alone...And of course Take It Easy is always a home run.

I was very happy that I got to hear 4 of 5 songs I really wanted to hear. The only one I didn't hear was New Kid In Town. For some reason he doesn’t play it solo or with the Eagles. If someone knows why he doesn't play it I would love to know. I think it's one of his best songs.

The band was tight and Glenn sounded great so I would have to give the show an A-