Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: May 9th Town Hall NYC

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: May 9th Town Hall NYC

Here’s a little more . . .

He introduced Caroline No as being written by another songwriter that he has great admiration for – Brian Wilson. Again, the orchestra added such depth to this song. He did the falsetto and he nailed it. I love the drum portion of this song too. He just kind of closes his eyes and goes with it – like he was truly enjoying that song in that moment.

I think the band intros came next – Will Hollis, Scott Crago, Percussion guy (forgive me I can’t remember his name) and Danny Grenier – who was phenomenal. He’s got a kind of mellow, laid-back vibe, but man can he play.

Glenn gave a special shout out to Michael Thompson and Richard Davis for their participation and contribution in producing After Hours. Glenn said that he found in working with them that the journey was the reward.

The Look Of Love came next and I remember thinking how well suited Glenn’s voice is for this song. He mentioned that they changed the key from the Dusty Springfield version.

I think this was where he compared the evening to the first time he played the Augusta National Golf Course. After 6 holes he realized "man, this is going too fast". I guess since this was about midpoint in the concert, he felt that the evening was also going by too fast. He then gave special shout outs in recognition and thanks to family and friends who were in attendance – Robert Rove?, Alex Gibney (mentioned the history of the Eagles dvd again) Phil Galston, Chris Berman (sportscaster), engineer Elliot Scheiner, Irving Azoff, his daughter Taylor and the “love of my life for the last 22 years” his wife, Cindy. He said something about how women would say to his wife how nice it must be for her to have Glenn singing to her around the house all the time. He jokingly said – Ah, yeah. I don’t do that.

Then they played a bluesey/country-ish version of Worried Minds.

He talked about his song writing partner Jack Tempchin as an intro to The One You Love which he played with the orchestra and it was breathtaking. Really fabulous.

more later . . .
    Last edited by Henley Honey; 05-12-2012 at 04:25 PM.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Wow HH, this is like reading a good book! Chapter by chapter. You certainly remember a lot! I'm delighted that Glenn seems to have been enjoying himself so much on his debut night. I'm sure he (and you) would have wished it to last forever! Thanks for all the detailed information. I'm kinda hoping that if he gets good vibes from these first gigs he will announce more big plans for the summer.

Can't wait for the next bit........
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yes HH, thanks so much for the bits and pieces you are remembering. It's building up to be a perfect evening!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'm all excited after reading the 1st 2 installments of your review, HH!! Anxiously awaiting more. So glad all of you that attended were treated to such a memorable performance & that Glenn was enjoying himself so much! I must have meant so much to him to have Taylor & Cindy there! It was sweet the way he introduced her.

Sounds like Glenn put on quite the show...glad you ladies had fun...looks like you were quite close to the stage...great pics as usual....I'm sure the orchestra really added something special to the show...Also, he looked quite dapper I must say!
    zelda

Stuck on the Border

Thank you so much for the wonderful review & magnificent photos. This will be the experience of a lifetime.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'm back home and let me say, it was a fantastic trip! HH and her DH were amazing hosts and I enjoyed spending time with them (although I imagine HH is getting quite sick of me by now). Then, of course, the concert had a lot to do with it being a great trip.

The only negative thing about the entire trip was the ride from Union Station in DC to my house. I had Glenn's music playing and when Route 66 came on, I had to turn it off. I know he's singing about Route 66 and not Interstate 66, but as I sat in the left lane heading west and not motoring anywhere, I didn't see much to get any kicks about. It did remind me, though, how very fortunate I am to be able to work from home and not be out on 66 every day.

OK, some thoughts of things I remember in no particular order. Our man Mr. Frey has got it going on! What a great show. I already can't wait until Monday, although I think it'll be missing something without the orchestra.

HH mentioned that with it being the first show of this tour, it was obviously special to him. It very definitely was, but it was more than that IMO. During one of the encore songs, the audience was singing louder than during the other songs. In a venue like that he could hear it quite well. As we all applauded at the end, he had a look of awe on his face. He looked sincerely touched at the response. In the many concerts I've been to, I don't think I've ever experienced one where the performer and audience were so in tune and appreciative of each other.

The Look of Love melted my bones, I swear. I'm sure the look of fan love was all over my face. His voice is well suited to these kinds of songs and when you add the passion and emotion he brings to his songs it's a very potent combination.

He did give a shout out to those HH mentioned, but it was so sweet to hear him talk about Cindy, calling her the love of his life for 22 years. It was even sweeter to see the look on his face. He is so very obviously happy and it's wonderful and heartwarming to see.

IMO, The Shadow of Your Smile was a bit rough as he moved from the intro to the song. Then like someone flipped a switch, he nailed it. I'm pretty sure my mouth dropped open. Like with me, the people behind me had only ever heard Sinatra's version and they were very impressed with Glenn's performance of it.

Like he'd mentioned in an interview posted the other day, they did rearrange The Heat Is On to be more jazzy. As he explained it, as it had always been sung it didn't fit in with the tone of the evening. He was right. It wouldn't have matched the venue or the mood of the crowd. Of course, it helped that the arrangement was a good one!

On Monday, assuming I figure out how to turn off the flash on my phone camera, I'll try to take some pics and post to Facebook right away, for those who may want to see them real-time.

OK, I need to get outside, the sun is finally out and the grass isn't going to cut itself. I'll post more later!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thank you so much for this great Reviews!I have very much enjoyed to reading them!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Wow, HH and VA... thanks for these spectacular reviews! I almost felt as if I had heard and witnessed the concert myself! All the small details... so meaningful to those of us who couldn't go.

My mind is Tiffany twisted