Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: May 9th Town Hall NYC

Default Re: May 9th Town Hall NYC

I've been under the weather today and this thread has perked me up considerably! I can't wait for my shows!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I've been under the weather today and this thread has perked me up considerably! I can't wait for my shows!
    I hope you get to feeling better!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Awww feel better!!

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Feel better, Soda. I'll have to finish the review tomorrow. Today was a busy workday after a late night last night. I don't want to rush and forget something important. Like how hot he looked.

OK, I wrote some notes while on the train using a tablet device and it's like reading Greek with the spelling errors and shortcuts! So first I want to apologize for texting HH and leading her astray. THERE WERE ONLY TWO ENCORES. Not three. Oops.

Soda and TBF, I want to mention that the guy playing steel guitar, forget his name, but I do remember he's from West Layfayette, IN. Since my sister lived there for many years, it stuck in my head. And also because Lyin' Eyes had plenty of steel guitar. Plenty. Fortunately for me, I love steel guitars.

HH mentioned Phil Galdston being there. He's the songwriter-in-residence (apparently an official title) and the one who 'interviewed' Glenn during the Master Session at NYU last October. She also mentioned Chris Berman being there. It was his birthday, so happy belated birthday, Boomer!

On Worried Minds, Glenn played the acoustic guitar. It was with the symphony, but like on the CD, it's the steel guitar that's most prominent. My father is gonna love this song when I make him listen to it this weekend when I go to Somerset.

One You Love was totally awesome with the orchestra. I think I've read reviews here or elsewhere of him struggling with this one in the past, but last night he totally nailed it from the first word. With the sax and orchestra...just amazing.

Before he played After Hours he said the same story that's in an interview on here about calling Jack and asking about writing a 'standard' and Jack reminding him of After Hours. He talked about how it was to have been included in The Allnighter, but that it was too out of character. They all did a great job with After Hours.

At this point the orchestra left and he explained about the rearrangement of THIO. People clapped along with the beat of the song and seemed to like it. Same with Smugglers Blues. After SB, he said something like 'decades of personal research went into that one'.

The crowd really seemed to get into Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed and You Belong To The City. He didn't do the falsetto on YBTTC.

The first encore was with the symphony and it was Take It To The Limit and Desperado. I'll say it again, TITTL with strings sounded amazing. He did a great job with Desperado, too.

The second encore he came out and talked about how he wants the Eagles to do a CD of songs made popular by bands before them, their influences. He referred to the Eagles as 'settlers' and said 'pioneers' came before them. If he could talk them into doing it, the next song was one he wants to do. Easy to see why, he does a great job with it. A great job. Perhaps better than Richie Furay. When the song was over, he talked about Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield, and Richie Furay and said that Neil Young was one of his all time favorites. I wanted to ask 'favorite what?' Singer? Songwriter? Performer?

For the record, the symphony sat in the back, behind the band.

Glenn Frey is a very, very talented man.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for that.

Did he play piano for After Hours & just sing for Desperado?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Thanks for that.

Did he play piano for After Hours & just sing for Desperado?
    He did not play piano and yes, he just sang for Desperado. For Desperado he gestured to the crowd to sing the harmony/backgrounds on the repeat of 'you better let someone love you'. And we did!
    VK

Stuck on the Border

It occurred to me that there is a significant omission from this setlist - Heartache Tonight.

I would assume (because I obviously don't know) that it didn't fit the 'mood'. Plus the time factor. He went over 90 minutes last night. Almost an hour and forty-five minutes, and the 'breaks' between encores were very brief.
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It occurred to me that there is a significant omission from this setlist - Heartache Tonight.
    I had that thought too, FP! He had said in one of the interviews that he would do it, however, as with the original arrangement of THIO, he may have thought that it didn't fit with this setlist. I know that he did it in Niagara Falls (and he rocked it) and sang songs from 'After Hours" in those shows too, but maybe with the release of the album and the inclusion of more AF songs, the feel of the show was different as VA indicated, and it just wasn't suited to this show.