Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: May 14, 2012 Warner Theater, Washington, DC

Default Re: May 14, 2012 Warner Theater, Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Oh, and Steph, these are for you...

Oh Verna, these are so lovely. Thank you for spoiling me! That little Will smile in the 2nd one just melts my heart.... He is so cute and beautiful and talented, and I love him to bits.

All of your photos are amazing. Glad you had a good time & that Glenn was relaxed and enjoying himself.
    Hope you have another good evening on Friday. I'm not really jealous

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Steph, there were a few times I swear where Will looked at me like, "Haven't I seen you like a hundred times in the last few weeks?"

I was glad to get some pics, but the angle meant that his head was half covered by the keyboard, and last week, the bass player (Wade) was in the way the entire time.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I know what you mean Verna. Joe & Steuart stand in front of Will at Eagles shows, and if you're sitting on the sides you either spend a lot of the show looking at his back or the cymbals on the drum kit cover his face! At Don's shows Peter Thorn stands in front of him, and Peter moves back & forward a lot, so you need to be quick with the camera to get an unobscured photo of Will!

Verna, thank you so much for this detailed Review and The amazing Photos!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. He wasn't playing, he was in the audience.
    Very cool that Steuart was there.

Thanks for all the comments, at least I'm not completely out of the loop over here on the other side of the world! (FP doesn't count, she's going to see him in... how many days & hours Julie? 10 days by my count, but I haven't factored in time changes!!)
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Very cool that Steuart was there.

Thanks for all the comments, at least I'm not completely out of the loop over here on the other side of the world! (FP doesn't count, she's going to see him in... how many days & hours Julie? 10 days by my count, but I haven't factored in time changes!!)
    9 days. Today is May 17 my time.

Just got back from an overnight visit to my relatives who live in Virginia and now it's time to write that review!

Glenn came out late - while that's typical for the Eagles, it's not so much for solo shows. Weirdly, his band came out and stood there for a minute just waiting for him to come out. He was talking with someone backstage and there seemed to be some problem; all I heard was "...for these gentleman..." - however, whatever was going on will remain a mystery; once he was onstage, it was all good - which is what we really care about!

As I mentioned earlier, the first thing I noticed was that he was dressed in a snazzy suit, which made my shallow self happy. Lookin' good, my man!

Overall, the crowd was largely sedate but started getting on its feet near the end. I'd call it a pretty good crowd, but not a great one.

The steel guitar was featured prominently in most songs - as was stated elsewhere, he's got himself a new player from my old stomping grounds, West Lafayette, Indiana - and it sounded great. (Later, as the guy was putting away his stuff, I yelled "GO PURDUE BOILERMAKERS!" He looked up and smiled. lol)

Although the setlist has already been posted, I'm going to go song by song.

Peaceful Easy Feeling - His voice sounded lovely on this. After all these years, he still sings it with feeling. During the instrumental break, he asked, "Who likes country rock in Washington?" to great cheers. The local shout-outs never get old!

Afterwards, he said, "Thank you very much and welcome to my retirement party!" Then, he mentioned something that he would bring up again in the show, so I guess it bothered him - apparently the show didn't sell as well as he'd hoped (although the place looked reasonably full to me; maybe 2/3). He said something along the lines of, "I know there's some empty seats out there, but it's not going to dissuade me from my mission - to play like there's no one here." Ha! That one made me laugh!

He intro'd the next song, Tequila Sunrise, by saying that he and Don had written it in the fall of 1972 right after getting back from London after making the first Eagles album. "Me and Henley thought we should write some songs or we might get kicked out of the Geffen-Roberts Management Company." lol! This was a treat as I hadn't heard it in a while. During the instrumental break he did little Mexican sounds like "Arriba!" Cute.

The sound was good in this venue, and his voice came through very clearly where I was sitting at least. Usually I just let the music wash over me in a holistic manner, listening to the song as a synthesis of its elements rather than isolating any particulars - which is probably the way it should be. However, this time, the vocal was so clear that I started focusing on the lyrics. It was like I was listening to someone telling a story with musical accompaniment who is using vocal inflection and emphasis as a narrative tool, and I did it throughout the show. It was a different experience and a really interesting one, I thought, although I'm not sure I'd let myself do that regularly.

Blahblahblah, enough about my experience. Back to Glenn, lol.

He introduced the next song, Lyin' Eyes, with that line about it being from his "checkered past" and how he and Don wrote it in two days. "We did everything fast in 1975... well, just about everything." As was the case in Atlanta and New Orleans, I thought I would be spared my pet peeve but noooo, out it came. "As I often do, I would like to dedicate it to my first wife, Plaintiff." I couldn't help but grimace at this unfortunate momentary lapse in coolness, but luckily Glenn didn't see it, lol. He performed the song flawlessly, as usual, and it was a big hit with the crowd. People just love to sing along to this chorus and it's happened at every show I've been to, Eagles or solo.

After this, he gave shout-outs to some people who he knew from the area. As has been said already, Steuart Smith was in the audience. He mentioned that Smith had played on After Hours, which transitioned well into the next bit where Glenn played songs from that album.

At this point, the guitar was gone and it was just Glenn standing in front of a microphone. He intro'd the songs with the bit about how After Hours was 13 love songs and Route 66, but hey, the guy in Route 66 loves driving! With that, he went into Route 66. He seemed to have a lot of fun with it. Sadly, there were no swing dancing waitresses about, but he did a few moves. The more he shakes it the more I enjoy the song, lol.

Afterwards, he said he'd modeled his version after one he saw Nat King Cole do "on a black and white TV, Cinemascope type thing" - I'm thinking "huh?" but I guess he was saying that he saw Nat King Cole do it on some old TV show. Maybe he caught it on YouTube! I gotta say, after watching the Nat King Cole version, I found it far less interesting than Glenn's.

For Sentimental Reasons - I like this song better every time I hear it. I said in my review of the album that Glenn sings it with a sincerity that's very affecting - and that's even truer live. The crowd response to this was enthusiastic.

The Shadow of Your Smile - moving from "For Sentimental Reasons" in this was making me swoon, especially when he passionately sings that sensual line about kissing the girl's lips. The women were really responding to this and I heard several sighs.

He talked about making the album briefly and how much he enjoyed doing so, then "warned" the audience that there were a few more coming. However, at this point, the audience applauded and seemed into it.

He then intro'd the next song, The Same Girl, by calling Randy Newman one of the finest songwriters alive today - said he was "brilliant" - praised his film scoring to the skies and mentioned some examples. Then he said, "Only Randy Newman could write a love song about a junkie and her pimp." So, there you have it, confirmation of my speculation that the guy in the song is the girl's pimp. Ewwwww!!! Glenn did say he didn't realize that until he started recording it - he just thought it was pretty and had "always wanted to record a song by Randy Newman." Honestly, I think Glenn should keep that little trivia gem under his hat, but I guess it makes people laugh. I, however, was grossed out, and was having a hard time reconciling that Glenn was singing in the persona of a pimp. No pimp should have a voice like that! Maybe Glenn's subconscious agreed, because he got a bit hoarse on this song, lol. However, if you put all that messed up stuff aside, it IS a pretty song.

He did the band intros then. I didn't catch all the names, but I'm sure others have elsewhere. The people I recognized: Will Hollis, Richard Davis, Scott Crago, Michael Thompson, Danny Grenier, Wade Biery (sp?). The percussionist was named Roberto and "used to be an Eagles roadie until we found out he could play percussion." I feel like I should know this guy's name but I can't remember it! The steel guitar player was named Doug something. The horn player was Tom Evans. At least I got that one!

Then, it was time for Caroline No. Man, did he sell this one. One of the reasons I'm such a huge fan of Glenn is the way he puts feeling into his vocals but dang, he broke MY heart with the way he sang this! I'll never like that falsetto last line but since it's at the very end, I just block it out and eat up the rest of the song.

Next: The Look of Love. His vocal on this song was very aching and emotive. If I recall correctly, he got some kind of blocks and was knocking them together on this one for percussion, like Stevie Nicks does on the song "Tusk" in the 1980 Tusk documentary. I like this one and the ladies around me were responding to its romance, but I think he started to lose some of the guys here. I think he noticed because he made a comment about how performing "Take It Easy" for 40 years prepared him to branch out and do this kind of music.

He moved from there to Worried Mind. I thought it was interesting that he was doing this because it's not even on the regular album, only the deluxe version. Its country vibe makes it closer to the Eagles type of music than anything else from After Hours; nevertheless, I wasn't sure how the DC crowd would respond to country. Sure enough, after this, some of the douchier men started calling out requests for Eagles songs, but I think they were in the minority. Most people seemed to enjoy it. I know I did. You know, it's really cool how Glenn can make his voice sound so different from song to song. He can just turn the country intonations on and off with seemingly no effort. It reminded me of how, when I was a new fan, I'd listen to some older stuff from the 70s and Glenn would be talking with what sounded like a Texas accent. I'm thinking "Wait - isn't this guy from Detroit?" It's just one of his many talents!

The antsy folks were appeased when the next song began with that famous sax line: The One You Love. This song is so hot; everybody loves it. He sang it to perfection and got a huge crowd reaction.

Glenn started telling the story of the song After Hours, but he made a little mistake in that he started off telling it like everyone would know what he was referring to when some people had no clue about this song. Luckily, he caught himself and gave the backstory about how it was supposed to go on The Allnighter but didn't fit in with the other songs which he half-jokingly said were all about cocaine and "darker stuff like that." He delivered it in a way that got laughs from everybody, and then launched into the song. I had been waiting for this song all night and my heart was just about to pound out of my chest. Gosh, if you had told me when I became a fan in 2005 that one day I would hear Glenn singing this in a concert, I would have thought you were crazy. I sat there thinking "Oh my gosh, this is magnificent! I am so lucky to get to hear him do this in person!" I am not exaggerating; I was that into it. It's so freaking beautiful and full of emotion. I love it.

Glenn intro'd the next song by saying he'd changed up the arrangement to make it fit with the other songs. This was the new version of The Heat Is On. It was cool as a novelty, and I enjoyed it as such. However, I hope this arrangement isn't here to stay, because for me, it's not nearly as fun to listen to. I especially missed the "OH-WO-HO!!! OH-WO-HO!!!" which has become "Oh-Oh." However, people around me loved it and one person even called out "That was awesome!" Trivia: did you know that he sings both "Tell me can you feel it?" and "Tell me do you feel it?" I always wondered which it was and with this version's clearer enunciation, the mystery is solved. It's BOTH!

He intro'd the next song by saying he had put a lot of "personal research" into it. Someone in the audience yelled out "Smuggler's Blues!" and Glenn said "You got it!" It was, of course, the bluesier version. I fear I may never hear Glenn sing that song as a wild rocker again.... but hey, for what it was, it was good.

He said the next song was written by Tempchin and Bobby Whitlock, and made that joke about it being popular during the Clinton years... Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed. A lady near me answered "Everyone." lol! This song is terrific live, especially that cold ending. I also love it when his voice gets growly; it's very sexy. Everybody was into it. I just ignore that verse that bothers me and enjoy the fact that every other aspect of the song is excellent.

This is when that lady VA talked about started getting obnoxious by walking up to the stage going "My favorite song is 'I Found Somebody!' Please play it!" The last time I saw someone that obnoxious was this girl who loudly begged at the stage for Lindsey Buckingham to play "Bleed to Love Her." However, that girl was really beautiful and dressed very sexily so Lindsey actually played the song for her! lol!

At any rate, Glenn ignored the lady and then launched into the awesomeness known as You Belong to the City. He didn't do the falsetto which made me happy. I'd rather he miss a note or two with a man's voice than with use that falsetto! Dang, this song is hot in every way, and at the end when the guitar and sax are doing their thing and Glenn is screaming "YOU BELONG! YOU BELONG!" it all comes together, babe. He got a standing ovation.

He said his goodbyes, then came back out for the encore.

Obnoxious "I Found Somebody" lady was still shouting the title of the song, and finally Glenn said "What? I Found Some money?" lol! At least she provided some laughs!

Glenn then said that when he saw the ticket count for the night, it was disappointing, but "Jesus' first sermons weren't sold out either. They were just a couple of people under a tree. But then people got the word out and spread it around. So I hope you'll get the word out about After Hours." After I was done cringing at the presumption of the comparison (yeah, he was just kidding, I know), I applauded the overall idea. Heaven knows I'm doing my best in that regard! He thanked everyone for coming and said he appreciated it.

And then... the highlight of the evening for me. A gorgeous arrangement of Take It to the Limit. I can only imagine what it was like with real strings, because even synthesized strings were doing it for me. Gosh, I love this song so freaking much, and this arrangement was the best one I've ever heard in person. I was totally transported, waving my fist and singing along and basically making a spectacle of myself but who the heck cares, this song rocks my world and this arrangement rocks my universe.

Then he went into Desperado. Very mournful, world-weary vocal; it worked perfectly.

Now, I had a little brain fart here and thought Desperado was the last song so when he came out again for another encore, I was thrilled to my toes! I was standing at the stage at this point and perhaps my ecstasy showed on my face because Glenn very sweetly mouthed at me "Thank you for coming, sweetheart. It means a lot." Of course my response is "Thank YOU!" Glenn is DA MAN!

For this encore, he pulled out On the Way Home, and mentioned he was talking to "my friends the Eagles" (I loved the way he said that) about recording a few covers from their musical influences. He sings this song with such passion from the very first phrase; little wonder he wants to include it. It's a terrific idea to include this more obscure song that's really good but then follow it with....

Take It Easy! Everyone loves this song, including me! Glenn intro'd it with "As my friend Joe Walsh says, [imitating Joe's voice] 'You know man, if I'd had known I'd have to play this song for the rest of my life, I'd have written something else.'" He then quickly added that he was "of course" joking but I kinda wondered, I must say, especially when he continued with the fact that it was the Eagles' 40th anniversary and he had played the song "30,478 times" (or something like that, lol). However, he made it all good by smiling that charming smile and saying, "But I'm going to play it like this was the very first time." With that, he launched into it and true to his word, sang it with the kind of spirit he put into it in 1972. The fact that he can still do that, my friends, is a major reason why GLENN FREY IS MADE OF AWESOME.

I can't wait for the next show! I just wish everyone could go!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for the review, Soda, but in the photos the mic Glenn is using looks like the standard one he always uses, as in my avatar which came from New York.

I'm sorry that he was bothered by the empty seats & unfortunately it seems that will make up his mind even further about not doing any more shows. I hope he doesn't see this as a failed experiment; already.

The percussionist's name is Roberto Chivera.

BTW, there was something at the merch stand that made me very happy.... an official Glenn Frey keychain! My collection is now complete! (The one with the glare on it is Lindsey Buckingham).

There was also a ladies' shirt! More happiness! The only problem was that it didn't have dates on the back. Hey, we ladies like to have tour dates on our shirts, too! Ah well, I bought it and wore it the next day to visit my relatives - both my aunt and cousin complimented me on it.

ETA: FP, you're right. I'll remove that from my review.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Wonderful review Soda! I'm so pleased for you getting that little comment from Glenn and you know, he means it too!

I'd love to hear that new version of THIO. I cannot say that I will like it better than the original, but it would be soooo cool to hear it!

It's also possible that the venue wasn't as full coz it was Monday night. It tends to be quieter here earlier in the week too?

HH, will you include a couple of keyrings in my 'order' please if they have them tomorrow please?
    Last edited by Glennsallnighter; 05-16-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP