Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

I use IE. I know it shouldn't and I'm gonna get to the bottom. Chrome also slowed our internet down terribly. Going back to IE sped it up a lot. It's puzzling. Thanks for the help.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

I'd recommend running CCleaner as Chrome should not be slow at all.. Sounds like you might have a lot of cache files or perhaps malware/adware.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

If you run CCleaner, or any other program that clears cache, but sure to write down all relevant web addresses and login information that you might need and don't remember. This is important!! Anything you begin to type in and it auto-finishes for you will be lost, so you need to remember what it was before you can access it again. I inadvertently cleaned my cache a few months ago and lost the domain name for my company where I do my timecard, along with the web addresses I used a lot (they weren't bookmarked), and the usernames I use for non-important things like delivery services (I never save the username and password for any financial-related accounts).

Cleaning cache definitely speeds up your computer and should be done occasionally. It's just important to remember to save your important information first.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    If you run CCleaner, or any other program that clears cache, but sure to write down all relevant web addresses and login information that you might need and don't remember. This is important!! Anything you begin to type in and it auto-finishes for you will be lost, so you need to remember what it was before you can access it again. I inadvertently cleaned my cache a few months ago and lost the domain name for my company where I do my timecard, along with the web addresses I used a lot (they weren't bookmarked), and the usernames I use for non-important things like delivery services (I never save the username and password for any financial-related accounts).

Cleaning cache definitely speeds up your computer and should be done occasionally. It's just important to remember to save your important information first.
    True...
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Well I got the icons to move, yah...I think I cleaned it up it seems to run better. A year or so back we got a virus and it's been running bad on and off. Thanks for all the help

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

No problem!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I haven't been on here as much as I like because I can't seem to get any computer time. It seems like every time I want to go on, someone else is on, and by the time they're off, I'm involved in something else. I was using my I-pod touch, but that has been acting funny. I'd like to get something bigger than my I-pod. I just need something to go on Facebook, the internet, check my e-mails, etc. Do I need a laptop, or would a tablet do? Looking for suggestions and recommendations. It has to be easy to work, as I am not very tech savy.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

If all you're using the computer for is internet and checking e-mails a tablet would work just fine for you. They're portable, lightweight, and pretty easy to navigate. If you already have an iPod I would suggest an iPad. It's the same interface, so no having to learn something new. You can get a regular iPad or one with retinal display. There are also mini versions as well. If you would like to have the internet everywhere you go some also have chips built in from AT&T, Sprint,and Verizon. The Microsoft Surface runs on the same operating platform that all computers now use, Windows 8. Microsoft Office is free on the RT versions. The only downside to the RT is that you can't add any programs unless they are in the app store. The professional version runs a full version of Windows 8, meaning you can add other programs to it. But it does not come with Microsoft Office. It all depends really on what you're looking for. Take some time to visit your local Best Buy. The best way to figure it out is to play around with them and find your best fit.

Thanks WW. At the risk of sounding dumb, what is retinal display?

An iPad should be fine. I'm an Apple fan though so I'm biased. I really dig my iPad Mini.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger