Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: computers

Good luck with your new laptop, zelda. I've always just had a desktop at home, although I've used a laptop for work for several years. I just bought my first personal laptop a few months ago, and I am really enjoying it for the most part, although I don't think I'll ever like typing on laptop keyboards. For my work laptops, I always plug in a regular keyboard and mouse - they work much better for me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I am loving my new laptop...really notice the speed...still trying to get used to using the touchpad instead of a mouse but I kind of like it...I watched Farewell I on it tonight...can't believe how clear the picture is...much more so than my tv...think I really need to upgrade my tv now!

Glad to hear you like it!

To keep that "like new" speed, try running a temp files cleaner every so often to keep it clean. I recommend JetClean by BlueSprig or CCleaner by Piriform. CCleaner used to be my go to until this week when I learned about JetClean - a bit more in depth. Click scan, and then fix all issue and you are good to go.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Glad to hear you like it!

To keep that "like new" speed, try running a temp files cleaner every so often to keep it clean. I recommend JetClean by BlueSprig or CCleaner by Piriform. CCleaner used to be my go to until this week when I learned about JetClean - a bit more in depth. Click scan, and then fix all issue and you are good to go.
    I have CCleaner on my desktop and it really has helped, but I will try the JetClean on my new toy thanks

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I use Spybot. Is that like JetClean?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I use Spybot. Is that like JetClean?
    That's for malware. JetClean cleans outdated and cluttered cache files and empty registry keys to speed up the PC.

This is JetClean: http://www.bluesprig.com/jetclean.html
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

alright computer people...what is malware...I have installed Kaspersky antivirus...do I need something else?

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    alright computer people...what is malware...I have installed Kaspersky antivirus...do I need something else?
    Kaspersky is my favorite AV. Malware is sort of my "speciality". It's what I do on computers most often is remove malware.

Malware is one word that viruses, adware, spyware, worms, keyloggers, rootkits, trojan horses, etc fall under...

As long as you only have Kaspersky and nothing else running with it by accident it should be good. Whenever you install an AV uninstall any that are already on there or they will cancel each other out.

Also I like to recommend downloading MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to have to scan with monthly to make sure Kaspersky is doing it's job.

There are some other tools I use to remove malware that I can recommend should you ever get a virus/malware on the computer. I have about 1GB of removal tools I use to clean PC's and several bootable discs.

So my suggestions are as follows:

1) Ensure that only Kaspersky is installed (and that Norton, ESET, AVG, Avast, Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc aren't installed.)
    2) Make sure Kaspersky is up-to-date with the program software updates (not the daily automatic definition updates which should already be done but it wouldn't hurt to check those either).
    3) Download MalwareBytes from malwarebytes.org and choose the free version and uncheck Free Trial at install (so you get the free version).
    4) Ensure that all of your Windows Updates are installed and up-to-date. Go to the Start Menu > All Programs > Windows Update and hit "Check For Updates".
    5) Lastly, employ safe browsing techniques and avoid foreign domains (.cn, de, etc - anything except .com, .net, .org, etc). Don't download something if you are unsure if it is safe or not. Use Google Chrome as your browser as it blocks most malware domains automatically. And also make sure you always choose "Save" instead of "Run" in Internet Explorer and certainly with email programs with attachments.

And possibly most importantly - backup EVERYTHING that is of even slight importance to you in more than one place. Perhaps on a flash drive, external USB hard drive, cloud solution (Google Drive is great as well as Microsoft SkyDrive, Dropbox, Box.net, etc), CD/DVD, etc. Pick two of those places at least. You can't be too redundant when it comes to precious data (documents, pictures, music, videos, contacts, favorites/bookmarks, etc). I recommend picking one online storage solution and one local solution (disc or drive).

That's my lecture I give every new PC owner that gets a new PC.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Using a cloud solution is a good idea for back-ups. Don't do what I do. I have my full backups on an external drive. In addition, I have my documents that are important on my phone and on my Kindle. My music is on my external drive, this computer, and what's not also on the cloud is in CD form. Sounds great, right? All these things are sitting nearby, within fifteen feet of me. If a tornado or fire happens, I'm totally screwed.

I had a weird thing happen over the weekend. I got an email from a Facebook friend with the subject line FOR VERNA. I almost opened it. It looked like one of those emails you get when a friend is on a newspaper site and requests an article to be emailed to you. But what stopped me is that while this guy is a great friend, since I recently caught up with him I didn't remember giving him my email address and it's not visible on my FB profile. So I didn't open it and sent him a message. He hadn't sent it. Now, it could be another friend playing a joke by randomly picking one of my FB friends, or it could contain malicious links. So I didn't open it, I deleted it and then removed it from the Deleted Files folder.

I use Norton/Symantec and one thing I like about them is that even if you have your virus definitions totally up to date, if you have a question you can call them. They have the software that isn't released yet and can scan your computer remotely with updates that haven't even been released yet, plus the expertise that can be applied only on a one-on-one basis. I should have called them before removing the email and got their opinion on it. People calling with questions is one method they all have in finding out about new viruses and other forms of malware.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Very interesting stuff. I have a question about the JetClean software. Does anyone know what JetClean does for you that the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter systems tools already on computer don't do? I'm confused about what the differences are. I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016