Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    In most computers, it's all the updates from Windows that take up space and slow the thing down, and you can't get rid of them. One thing you can do, if you have an older operating system, is to reload the OS and then apply the service packs that have been issued, then the updates since the last service pack. Unless you are an expert with computers, I'd recommend having this professionally done. It's time consuming and needs to be done all at once as your computer is vulnerable until it's all loaded. Generally, though, once your computer reaches this point, it's a better idea to replace it. Reloading the OS and starting over is no trivial thing. Upgrading to a new OS always breaks a device driver or four, and I've never found a professional that was able to do it correctly. Every time I do it myself I swear I'll never do it again.
    BleachBit is a great way to delete the update installer files left over that take up gigs. It's a free program.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm trying to learn to do screen caps and am using trial of Snag It...but I'm wondering how everyone else does theirs...anyone ever heard of JING?...a program to do screen caps that's free...

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I'm trying to learn to do screen caps and am using trial of Snag It...but I'm wondering how everyone else does theirs...anyone ever heard of JING?...a program to do screen caps that's free...
    As a freebie, I use MWSnap. I have SnagIt, and it does far more as far as editing pictures. I need it for word, so I need something that will take captures of part of the screen you don't see, menu items that tend to disappear with other capture tools. For my signature, I used the transparency settings for softer edges. Of course, I'm lucky in that my company paid for it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

A question about anti-virus, my free version of Norton is about up. Is there a free version of Kaspersky or is AVG good enough?

Also, I keep selecting the button on this site to keep me logged in, but it doesn't. I have to log in every time. I must need to change some setting on my computer?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    A question about anti-virus, my free version of Norton is about up. Is there a free version of Kaspersky or is AVG good enough?

Also, I keep selecting the button on this site to keep me logged in, but it doesn't. I have to log in every time. I must need to change some setting on my computer?
    at the computer class I just took on computer maintenance...the instructor highly recommends the free AVG!...

The virus that killed my desktop wasn't stopped by Kaspersky, but AVG got it. Go with AVG!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

We have had AVG on our desktop for 6 or 7 years now and have never had an infection. Our computer guy at work swears by it too. The only people I ever heard diss it was the sales guy where I bought this laptop abd he recemmended Bullguard instead. But hey, he was trying to make a sale!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

We have been using AVG at work and haven't had any trouble, so I wondered what you all thought of it. Good!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Of course all AVs have a chance of letting something by. I have to say I've had little to no trouble with Kaspersky, LOTS of trouble with Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials, and little trouble with Avast. AVG is sort of in the middle for me. It can be a RAM hog (same as MSE) or at least it used to be but protection was decent. Norton is by far my least favorite though. It slows everything way down and I can't tell you how many computers I've had to clean that were running Norton and got infected. One was so bad it had to get a new hard drive (boot sector ransom ware that couldn't be removed for some reason).

AVG is alright and I like what I see from the upcoming '13 version but I really like Avast the best for a free signature based AV. I also recommend Panda Cloud for those who are for whatever reason on a data plan because it doesn't have any updating but it does require internet connectivity to protect you. My grandma/stepgrandpa use this as they are on a small data plan and Kaspersky was pushing them too close to the limit in addition to their regular browsing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Of course all AVs have a chance of letting something by. I have to say I've had little to no trouble with Kaspersky, LOTS of trouble with Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials, and little trouble with Avast. AVG is sort of in the middle for me. It can be a RAM hog (same as MSE) or at least it used to be but protection was decent. Norton is by far my least favorite though. It slows everything way down and I can't tell you how many computers I've had to clean that were running Norton and got infected. One was so bad it had to get a new hard drive (boot sector ransom ware that couldn't be removed for some reason).

AVG is alright and I like what I see from the upcoming '13 version but I really like Avast the best for a free signature based AV. I also recommend Panda Cloud for those who are for whatever reason on a data plan because it doesn't have any updating but it does require internet connectivity to protect you. My grandma/stepgrandpa use this as they are on a small data plan and Kaspersky was pushing them too close to the limit in addition to their regular browsing.
    Austin, I've have the complete opposite results with Norton! In sixteen years of having computers at home, I've never once had a computer infected with anything (knock on wood!). I would never consider trying something else because of that. The one time I did get an infected email from a friend (I didn't open it), he'd let his Norton subscription lapse. He was having other issues (ironically, a real virus that had him stuck in bed) so I called Norton support for him to ask a question. Since I had received the email, they insisted on running a scan on my computer, then they sent themselves the email for analysis. It wasn't a known virus, but one that had recognizable signatures. When my friend was able, he called Norton Support, got his subscription up to date, and they took temporary control of his computer and cleaned it completely while he watched.

I get pop-ups and such at least once a month that something was caught and stopped. I really like the flexibility it has, and I really like how it works with Windows instead of butting heads with it. I like having the Norton icon on the search results when running a search that tells me which links are safe to click on, even though if I click on when using a browser that doesn't have the toolbar installed, Norton stops me from going further. I'm amazed at how many seemingly innocent links have malicious software imbedded in their pictures.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.