Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

Default Re: May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    GA got photos. I did not; I was too far away, though I had a good view.

Oh, and by the way Here's To Life was sung by Shirley Horn, just as Glenn stated, not Lena Horne. I don't respond to trolls but sometimes I believe it helps to get facts straight. As I said it was the highlight of the show and it's my favourite track on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmoIkh6BC-g
    That was beautiful. Glenn certainly stayed true to the original.

Stuck on the Border

Here is my review. I will probably have to divide it into two parts. I have edited it from the copious notes I wrote at LAX. Most of it is about the After Hours songs.

When Glenn came out in his black suit he got a huge response & acknowledged the crowd by raising his arm. It was hard to believe I was seeing him live for the third successive year!

The first three songs were PEF, TS & LE. They were perfect as always. He did 'plaintiff' but slightly differently; he said 'I'm not doing that'. He sounded great.

Then he put down the guitar & announced the start of the After Hours bracket. I should say that he scattered the band intros througout the show; I thought this was very clever as it added to the sense of occasion. I love Reggie, the double bass player who also did some electric bass, & Tom Evans, the sax/flute player who was excellent.

Glenn honestly now seems liberated without the guitar. He didn't just sing Route 66, he completely inhabited it. This is where I wrote about the sliding his hand into his pocket thing & I said 'I had trouble staying calm'. After this was For Sentimental Reasons, dedicated to Cindy. Then The Shadow Of Your Smile which was intense. He said he was meant to sing these songs & he was right. When he reached for the high notes you could see him gearing up & breathing deeply. However he varies his delivery; 'I will be remembering' was sung softly.

I think Same Girl was next (apologies if the order isn't entirely correct) & this is one of my personal highlights. It was just beautiful. What can I say? After praising Mr Newman he said 'I'm going to sing you one of his songs' (love it when he says out loud he's going to sing as opposed to play, which is what he said before Here's To Life).

The Santa Monica Youth Orchestra, led by Alan Broadbent, added their talents to these songs. Again it is hard to describe this. They complemented his voice. When he wasn't singing he watched everybody else He is not stiff or awkward. He is a natural performer who as I said appears to have been liberated by this music.

They were doing Here's To Life for the first time ('and maybe the last' he said, to which I say I hope not). He said Alan Broadbent had asked him what was the most laidback song he knew & he said something about Ray Charles at Atlanta, to which Alan told him about Here's To Life. He warned the audience there would be pauses & they should be quiet & then he launched into it. He threw himself into it with complete passion & of course the audience started cheering him on. I honestly can't remember anything like that at any show I have ever seen. It was the highlight of the night.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-30-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Part 2

Then came the 'haunting' (his word) Caroline, No. He said the Beach Boys were pioneers & the Eagles were settlers. He nailed it, of course. When I was watching his face between songs he had a huge smile on his face and you could see hie was enjoying himself. He took his earpiece out several times when he was really into it.

He also nailed The Look Of Love but although he picked up the percussion blocks he barely used them. By the time he did the song was nearly over. The way he holds the last 'you' before 'don't ever go/I love you so' is perfect.

He played acoustic guitar in Worried Mind. He almost seemed reluctant to play it. He took it off again for After Hours which of course was superb. The whole bracket - 9 SONGS - was extraordinary.

For The One You Love he played a white Duesenberg guitar (I note in Washington he played the Sunburst). It was good but then he took the guitar off again & casually stated that they had rearranged one of his old songs. This was of course The Heat Is On & I urge everyone to watch the YouTube Washington video to get the idea. It was like freeform jazz. You didn't know what he was going to do or how he was going to move around. I have to see this again; he is talking about making it the centrepiece of his next album. As I often say he is so cool you could skate on him.

After that we had Swamp Smuggler's Blues (some great YOWs at the end), WBSIMB & YBTTC with 'guest percussionist Otis Frey'. I am happy to say he sang it in his normal voice & didn't falter; but oh, how he can spit!

The first encore feaatured the orchestra with TITTL & then Desperado (is it significant that he played this before TIE? I hope so) & it was the first time I had seen him sing the full version of that song. When he came back he talked about how 'one of the songs I want to sing' with the Eagles was On The Way Home & it rocked.

As for Take It Easy he told us it was released 40 years ago this month. He said the song was about self-reliance, looking after yourself first. I was familiar with this philosophy as I had read him saying it in an interview but it was the first time I had seen him say it.

The whole thing was astonishing & he must do it again, that's all (my new favourite phrase, from Same Girl & a certain Genesis song, Koala). It was a privilege to have been there.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Excellent review, FP! Thank you! Although I'm still very that he sang Here's To Life. I really really really hope it's not the last time playing it! I assumed Desperado was in the next to last encore with TITTL because the symphony played it and they didn't with TIE.

As I told Zelda while she was visiting, I searched several computers until I found my MP3s of Buffalo Springfield and listened to On The Way Home. Glenn very definitely sings it better.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thank you, FP, for that wonderful review! I'm so glad that the show had such meaning & so many memories for you. Of course, I am too, LOL! How I would have loved to have heard "Here's To Life"! I still get thrills down my spine when I hear him sing "to dreamers & their dreams".

I have a couple of questions. Many people have mentioned the "new" version of Smuggler's Blues that he has been performing in these concerts. Am I correct in assuming that this version is the one he has been doing for some time, the one he played in Niagara Falls?

I was also wondering if his parents were there, as they were a large part of the reason he did the album.

Thanks again, for the review!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Thank you, FP, for that wonderful review! I'm so glad that the show had such meaning & so many memories for you. Of course, I am too, LOL! How I would have loved to have heard "Here's To Life"! I still get thrills down my spine when I hear him sing "to dreamers & their dreams".

I have a couple of questions. Many people have mentioned the "new" version of Smuggler's Blues that he has been performing in these concerts. Am I correct in assuming that this version is the one he has been doing for some time, the one he played in Niagara Falls?

I was also wondering if his parents were there, as they were a large part of the reason he did the album.

Thanks again, for the review!
    Yes, it's Swamp Smuggler's Blues, which I love.

I saw an elderly couple in the VIP section who I wondered were Glenn's parents but as he didn't mention that they were there, I don't think they were.

Thanks so much FP, for that fantastic review.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I finally have a few minutes off and will put up some pictures. Let me say at the outset, I did not take as many as I have taken at Eagles gigs. I was sitting right in the front row and did not want to over do it, or to annoy Glenn by snapping every time he looked at me. Also I have to admit, I wanted to enjoy the concert for itself and not want to be distracted by constantly worrying about camera settings and pics etc. So I just set the camera on automatic. Some came out better than others

Early in the show

'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

For Stephanie!

Glenn was moving and dancing a lot, particularly during songs like Route 66 where he really had a ball! He was loving it!

But it was harder to get stills of him that weren't blurry!

The 'Hand in the pocket' thing

Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

This is the best I could get with his hand on the mic Julie! Sorry! Its a little blurry!
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP