Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I also must post my personal review of the show. It's not that I haven't bothered. It's all up in my head. Just need to commit it to text now! I don't suppose it's too late?
    It's never too late! We want details!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Cool! You'll get them so! The hub is on double nights this weekend!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yes, it's never too late to hear all about Glenn!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Ok..... so finally, I have had two weeks to mull this over, so I hope I get the salient points right. The first bit is just a bit pf preamble!

So against all the odds (and many of you know what those odds were) I managed to literally (and not totally honestly) squeeze a weekend in LA into my schedule. I had very little time to prepare for this trip, and also had to wind up a few loose ends at work. As well as make 3 plans for the following week depending on if my flight home to Dublin arrived as normal, was delayed slightly, or was majorly delayed. I finally had all my packing done at 2am on Friday morning and set off 4 hours later. Luckily I had no problems with airport security or immigration this time - One of the airport security guys was an Eagles fan. Say no more!! My flights were uneventful apart from losing my reading glasses during the stopover in Atlanta (Where I bought a gorgeous Georgia mug - I have always wanted to visit Atlanta after reading Gone With The Wind, although realistically I only got to the Airport!). I arrived on time in LA and the fun started when I hooked up with Soda about an hour later when her flight landed. We picked up our car and headed out into LA!

Now we knew FP was going to the gig and I had PM'd her quickly just before she went saying that I might get there. She pm'd me her hotel name but said she wouldn't have her phone so wouldn't be contactable. Soda and I booked a room in the same hotel but although she called a few times, FP was having too good a time in LA to be in her room, so she didn't realise we were coming. The good people in the hotel gave us a free upgrade to a suite and as soon as we had dumped our cases we checked out FP! I'll leave it to you guys to guess how surprised she was when Soda called her room! Needless to say, we all 3 headed out for a snack and then stayed chatting in our room until the small hours! The Wiltern was about 5 minutes walk from the hotel and it was such a thrill to see the 'Glenn Frey, Saturday May 26th 2012' across the top of the theatre.

We spent Saturday morning on Sodas 'Eagles Tour of LA' which she had very lovingly put together for us. Starting with breakfast in the Beverly Hills Hotel. Then she drove us through Laurel Canyon and Mulholland Drive - We saw plenty of large mansions!

After that it was over to the Sunset Grill for lunch, via a fantastic guitar and music store where I bought some guitar picks. I could have stayed there all day! I love music stores.

In the afternoon Soda was meeting a friend for coffee so as I wanted a few bits and pieces FP and I headed out to find a store. On the way back we headed up the side road beside the Wiltern. There were a number of security staff around with 'After Hours' lanyards and a few members of the orchestra arrived. Also there was a large crate outside with GF1 on it, I think FP posted a pic elsewhere. We got talking to a number of guys who had LPs and CDs with them in the hope that Glenn might come ojut at some stage and would sign them. I went back and got my 'After Hours' CD too, but it wasn't to be! We did have some interesting discussions with them, although IMHO, they weren't really specific Glenn or Eagles fans per se, more likely they were autograph collectors. For instance, one of them had only bought 'After Hours' that day and had not listened to it up to that point. In my heart I hadn't really expected Glenn to come out to anyone, but I guess hope springs eternal. About 6pm we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the gig...... People were already starting to line up outside the Wiltern, although the doors didn't open until 7pm.....
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Part 2!

About 7pm, Soda, FP and I arried in the Wiltern, with enough time for FP to collect her tickets. Meanwhile I bought one of the 'blue' t-shirts with the venues on the back and a cute keyring. I had found front row seats via vividseats that week but Soda bought them as getting them to me in Ireland was proving a logistical nightmare. I knew they were front row, but we had thought they were way off to the side.... However, they were only slightly to the left of Glenn . They were honestly the BEST seats I have ever seen him from. The atmosphere was very relaxed and casual. Otis came up onto the stage for a few minutes and there was a very pleasant vibe. Totally unlike the very formal atmosphere in Niagara Falls last year. I was also delighted to see that there was no problem with cameras, although from where I was sitting I just aimed to get e few good ones. I didn't want to annoy Glenn by constantly pointing and shooting at him. I sipped my screwdriver, took in the atmosphere getting more and more excited as the start time drew closer. All I could think was 'I can't believe I've made it here' and 'I can't believe I'm seeing Glenn live in a few minutes'. I even texted home 'front row.... I'm right at the stage' to a few of my friends. God knows why. It was 4am in Dublin and they were all asleep!!

And finally, about 8:20 pm, The band took their places, the lights went down.... there was no intro..... Glenn simply came out and immediately alunched into PEF. As always on this song he sang it so clearly and easily and I got a very good vibe off him. As you know he was wearing the darker suit with the white shirt and the dark tie. And of COURSE he looked absolutely divine I always have a wistful moment when I see him live and he gets to 'I may never see you again....' because I know how true it could be, but as each show goes on, whether Eagles, or Solo, it seems to matter a little less. Because I know that if he sings I will somehow.....

After PEF he introduced the show welcoming everybody and saying that we were all in for a wonderful evening of beautiful music and romance and a little bit of Rock and Roll. He then introduced 'Tequila Sunrise' saying he would play another song from 'the Cowboy Years'!

After this song, Glenn broke from tradition and started to introduce some of the band members. He would do this section by section at different points of the concert rather than introducing them all at once as has been his norm in previous concerts. So at this point he introduced electric bass player Wade Beary, and on steel guitar Doug Livingstone.
    At this stage Glenn was in full flow and you could see he was enjoying himself and the enthusiastic responses of the audience. So he said that he had promised himself that he would not tell any of his old jokes. And that he always dedicated his next song to his first wife Plaintiff 'But I'm not gonna do that tonight ..... I'm just gonna sing the dang song.....' he added laughing. Much to the amusement of the audience. Of course that was 'Lyin Eyes' By the end the whole audience was singing along with him. He looked at Danny Grenier at the 'Much' but and they both smiled! Very cute!

After these three Eagles stalwarts, he gave up the guitar and went onto the After Hours section of the show. He started by saying that the reason he was there was because he made a record and he believed in it, and that he wanted to play some shows and share the music. He then introduced Richie McBride on stage. Richie playing the upright Bass. And he said that Richie was from his hometown Detroit Michigan. He didn't refer to Detroit as he normally does. I guess with Cindy and Otis there.... After the applause he announced at the mic 'Some Songs from After Hours'.
    He started with Route 66. IMHO it was a very good song to start with as it was lively and upbeat and really kept the momentum and the vibe of the gig going. And he didn't just stay at the mic at the front. he was everywhere! Dancing and hopping around the stage. You could see how much he was enjoying himself, and it was received very enthusiastically by the audience. After that he gave a shout out to Danny Grenier, who was backing him on guitar.

Glenn then said it was his pleasure to welcome onto the stage the multiple Grammy winner, and iconic Pianist Composer and Arranger Alan Broadbent and the Santa Monica High School Orchestra. While they were taking their places Michael Thompson (I presume) played Silent Spring on the Piano. The Glenn said one of his favourite sounds in the world.... an Orchestra tuning!! He dedicated the next song For Sentimental Reasons' to Cindy. This is one of my favourites on the CD and it was really wonderful to hear it performed live on stage. The Orchestra too added a real depth to the music. He the sang 'The Shadow of Your Smile' Again one I have really drawn to since hearing it for the first time in Niagara Falls last year. He sang it absolutely exquisitely, really softly, with his eyes closed. And once again, the orchestra added a new dimension to it, the strings section in particular, and towards the end particularly the saxophone played by Tom Evans who Glenn acknowledged at the end of the song. Its a lovely slow, languid song and Glenn didn't rush it at all, but kept it nice and even. In between both the songs he asked for a round of applause for Scott Crago on the drums.
    After the song Glenn mentioned that the song had won an Academy award in 1967 and also a Grammy that year. He went on to say that he didn't want to tell people about 1967, and mentioned a shoe box... with a lot of seeds in it! And that he was 19.
    He then went on to say that all the songs on 'After Hours' were deeply meaningful to him and as a songwriter how much he admires the songwriting process. How much hard work and talent goes into writing a good song. He used this as a prelude for 'Same Girl' by Randy Newman whom he considers the finest songwriter ever. He said he always wanted to sing a song of his, and that only Randy Newman could write a song about a Junkie prostitute and her pimp. I love the piano in this one, the use of diminished chords throughout.
    After this Glenn introduced his 3 keyboard players, namely Will Hollis (like it Steph? ), then Richard Davies and Michael Thompson both of whom he gave credit to for their work with him on After Hours.

Glenn then said he was working on the Album and had about 6 or 7 tracks under his belt and he was starting to feel confident about it all when a conversation came up about what was the most laid back song they had ever heard. Richard Davies suggested 'Heres to Life' by Shirley Horn. Now at this stage I had my breath held. There had been a bit of speculation on the Border here that he might do it at some stage and we had been wondering would he. I was really thinking at this stage 'Well he's not gonna talk about it and not do it.... surely.....' In short Glenn listened to it the next day and found it in his own words 'epic' and 'astounding'. Then a few weeks later he decided he would record it. A suggestion was made that Alan Broadbent be brought in to arrange it. Glenn was worried about the time in it and was wondering how it was played originally when Shirley sang it. To which Alan replied 'Well I played piano!!' So of course Alan was the right guy for the job!
    Glenn added that there were a lot of pauses in the song and asked us to turn off our iphones! I could totally see why! I took that to mean cameras too as he didn't want to be distracted. Of course at this stage in any Glenn concert I am so bowled over that I am NEVER thinking straight anyway, This one was no exception.
    Anyway Glenn announced that they were doing the song for the very first time and depending on how it went, maybe the very last time.

Well much as I would love to say I was in the only audience that ever heard HTL live, I very much doubt it. because it was FANTASTIC. Glenn put out an utterly brilliant performance. I love the lyrics of this one too. Its like every phrase has a meaning that you can relate to. And I think it reflects so much what Life is all about. The good times and the bad, the challenges, successes and failures. And the impetus to keep going. The background music was exquisite too! Alan Broadbent did an excellent job arranging it. Of course a few people who may not have been familiar with the Cd came in and applauded before the final chorus, but I guess that couldn't be helped. But he got a hugh round of applause at the end of the song, and he looked pretty pleased as he thanked everybody so I'm sure it will reappear on a set list next time he tours.

Next came the Beach Boys famous song 'Caroline No' which Glenn cleverly punned into a story where he used it as 'Carol I Know' Apparently Brian Wilson's (of BB fame) lyricist brought the lyrics to Brian and said 'I have this song called 'Carol. I know' To which Brian replied that it should be called 'Caroline, No! Glenn acknowledged the Beach Boys as being the greatest American band ever, saying they were the Pioneers, while the Eagles were the settlers. He described the sone as 'haunting' and indeed it was. In all of these 'After Hours' songs Glenn was just so 'into' them. You could see how he had crafted every note, every word. And how he sang them all with such passion and belief.

Its nearly 2am now so I'm going to put in my review of the rest of the concert tomorrow evening.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Glenn then said he was working on the Album and had about 6 or 7 tracks under his belt and he was starting to feel confident about it all when a conversation came up about what was the most laid back song they had ever heard. Richard Davies suggested 'Heres to Life' by Shirley Horn. Now at this stage I had my breath held. There had been a bit of speculation on the Border here that he might do it at some stage and we had been wondering would he. I was really thinking at this stage 'Well he's not gonna talk about it and not do it.... surely.....' In short Glenn listened to it the next day and found it in his own words 'epic' and 'astounding'. Then a few weeks later he decided he would record it. A suggestion was made that Alan Broadbent be brought in to arrange it. Glenn was worried about the time in it and was wondering how it was played originally when Shirley sang it. To which Alan replied 'Well I played piano!!' So of course Alan was the right guy for the job!
    Glenn added that there were a lot of pauses in the song and asked us to turn off our iphones! I could totally see why! I took that to mean cameras too as he didn't want to be distracted. Of course at this stage in any Glenn concert I am so bowled over that I am NEVER thinking straight anyway, This one was no exception.
    Anyway Glenn announced that they were doing the song for the very first time and depending on how it went, maybe the very last time.
    Well much as I would love to say I was in the only audience that ever heard HTL live, I very much doubt it. because it was FANTASTIC. Glenn put out an utterly brilliant performance. I love the lyrics of this one too. Its like every phrase has a meaning that you can relate to. And I think it reflects so much what Life is all about. The good times and the bad, the challenges, successes and failures. And the impetus to keep going. The background music was exquisite too! Alan Broadbent did an excellent job arranging it. Of course a few people who may not have been familiar with the Cd came in and applauded before the final chorus, but I guess that couldn't be helped. But he got a hugh round of applause at the end of the song, and he looked pretty pleased as he thanked everybody so I'm sure it will reappear on a set list next time he tours.
    GA, you have no idea how much I wish I'd been there to hear this. Since it went so well, hopefully he'll do it again at another concert if he ever gets around to scheduling more. It can't be an easy song to do live, but I never had any doubts that he could. I'm glad you got to hear it, as well as the rest of the concert of course! I'm looking forward to the rest of your review, but this song was the one I most wanted to hear about. Thank you!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

GA, that was excellent; you said a great deal that I left out. With me it's all 'inside' if you like; I had trouble putting it into words. I was just glad I was there. I eagerly await the next part.

I can't stress enough how exhilarating it was to see him doing all those new songs, radically reworking THIO & doing On The Way Home in the encore. I've been waiting forever for him to take these chances & push himself; he's done 'safe' setlists. I speak only for myself; if others who went to these shows thought there was too much of the new album I can only say it needed to be done.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-09-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Wow, GA... what a stunning and well written recap. I swear, I could almost imagine myself there with all of the detail that you gave. I can't put my experiences into words like that, so bravo to you and thank you as well!

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Reliving it as I read. Thanks for this, GA! Hopefully the next part will be up soon!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    GA, you have no idea how much I wish I'd been there to hear this. Since it went so well, hopefully he'll do it again at another concert if he ever gets around to scheduling more. It can't be an easy song to do live, but I never had any doubts that he could. I'm glad you got to hear it, as well as the rest of the concert of course! I'm looking forward to the rest of your review, but this song was the one I most wanted to hear about. Thank you!
    Oh VA. Believe me. I do! I had given up on this tour and it was only when I started reading reviews and texting the girls who were at the East Coast Shows that I realised I could give it a last gasp effort so to speak!i really hope you do get to see him again.

FP I totally agree with you about the set list. It takes a certain amount if bravery to sing 8 or 9 songs off a new album in a live show, given that some people may not be familiar with it, or may have come expecting more of the "safe" option. But Glenn did it, he nailed every song he did and sang with style and confidence. And the audience lived it! They lapped it all up. Anyway what would be the point of calling it the 'After Hours' Tour if he want going to dedicate a good chunk of the show to 'After Hours'?

I think too that's why he did Niagara last year. To kind of test the water Nd see what the reaction to the new CD might be and to see how the audience took to the 4 songs he played those evenings.

Soda! I'll try to have the remainder up later tonight!
    Last edited by Glennsallnighter; 06-10-2012 at 04:27 AM.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP