Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Oh VA. Believe me. I do! I had given up on this tour and it was only when I started reading reviews and texting the girls who were at the East Coast Shows that I realised I could give it a last gasp effort so to speak!i really hope you do get to see him again.

FP I totally agree with you about the set list. It takes a certain amount if bravery to sing 8 or 9 songs off a new album in a live show, given that some people may not be familiar with it, or may have come expecting more of the "safe" option. But Glenn did it, he nailed every song he did and sang with style and confidence. And the audience lived it! They lapped it all up. Anyway what would be the point of calling it the 'After Hours' Tour if he want going to dedicate a good chunk of the show to 'After Hours'?

I think too that's why he did Niagara last year. To kind of test the water Nd see what the reaction to the new CD might be and to see how the audience took to the 4 songs he played those evenings.

Soda! I'll try to have the remainder up later tonight!
    Yes, but the point remains... why so few shows? I still don't understand that. While it makes me even more grateful that I was there, this show needs to be seen by more people than have seen it.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Maybe he just wanted to see how well the album was received by the public in terms of both its sales and also how well concert audiences would appreciate it. So he 'experimented' with the 6 shows he did. Its possible too that he wants to spend time with his family during the summer, and will possibly tour again in the late summer or fall.
    Its possible too that he just wants to give his voice a rest after all the recording and the initial shows.

Which means like you FP I am sooooo glad I got the opportunity to see this LA concert too!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Ok, part 3!

After the applause for Caroline No, Glenn introduced a new percussionist although I didn't catch his name. He then went straight into 'The
    Look of Love'. Again, sung passionately. The percussion and use of cymbals was definitely more noticeable in this live version compared to the version on the CD. This is where I managed to take my best picture as Glenn was nearer to the mic than in other songs.

Once again it was over too quickly.

Glenn then took his guitar and announced that he was going to do a song off a Ray Charles album, although he wouldn't attempt to do a Ray Charles song, but this was a country song. No surprise to hear him do 'Worried Mind'. At this point I texted my friend from work, because this is her husband's favourite song off 'After Hours'. I said
    'I guess you are out feeding the bullocks by now (they have a farm). Tell Ger Glenn is doing Worried Mind!!'
    I got back 'We are....' and then some very comments.

I think this is the most 'Eagly' sounding track on the whole album and I think the audience really appreciated it too.

I was beginning to worry at this stage that as Glenn had included 'Here's To Life' that some other song would have to be sacrificed and I was hoping that it would not be the title track. My head told me it was unlikely that this would happen, but bear in mind that out of the previous 72 hours I had had about 6 hours sleep! Particularly as the next song he sang was 'The One You Love'. As he introduced it he introduced Tom Evans on Tenor saxophone, and he used a large white electric guitar this time, as opposed to playing the piano which he had done for this song in Niagara Falls. Once again he nailed it, and the percussion sounded a lot stronger than the recorded versions. The audience who had been quieter during the After Hours songs also got a bit louder for this song too.
    The sax parts were excellent as always.

After this Glenn was smiling and he told a story about himself and a friend playing golf in Augusta. When they came to the 6th hole his friend said 'We're going too fast' He said that was how he felt at that point, that the evening was going too fast and he wanted to stretch it out. He then called out to Jack Tempchin and said that when they were about half way through the album he called Jack and was looking for a title track for the album, and wpuld he be able to write a standard for it.Jack reminded him him that they had the song 'After Hours' from the time they did the Allnighter album in 1984. They had intended to put it in that album but it hadn't fitted the mood and it had been left out. So now it was perfect as the title track for the new CD. And that of course was his prelude to the song.
    I was thrilled to hear him singing it and it was one of the many highlights of the show for me. I have always loved this song and I really felt so privlidged to hear it sung live. And Glenn was magnificent singing it. He was sensitive, quiet in some parts, and passionate, and I'd have been quite happy for him to sing it over and over again.

But of course the show had to go on, and the title track brought an end to the 'After Hours' section of the show. After this Glenn explained how they had reworked 'The Heat is On', as in its original format it didn't really fit in with the current setup of the show. Again one of the songs I had really been looking forward to hearing (have I said that before......?) was this new arrangement, and it did not at all disappoint. It was very laid back and mellow and had a really cool vibe to it. Glenn also took his time with it, particularly in the bridge between the first and second verses, where he moved around the stage a lot, before coming back to the mic to resume 'The shadows hide...' Quite simply he was having the time of his life during this song and the audience was lapping it up!

He followed THIO with Smugglers Blues and then he introduced 'Whose Been Sleepin in My Bed' He commented that this song was very popular during the Clinton Administration. Now there was another girl opposite me across the aisle and when this song started she encouraged me to get up and dance, so the two of us danced in the aisle for a few minutes while Glenn continued to sing. I don't think he minded us doing it, but I sat down after. She stayed up. She had been approaching the stage and taking pics from angles I wouldn't have dared to and at that point Glenn motioned to her to put her camera away! I was glad I had sat down by then, and also that I hadn't overdone the pics.

Glenn s final song of the main show was 'YBTTC' and as he started he shouted out for his 'guest percussionist Otis Frey'. He nailed this one in style and then left the stage with the audience calling out enthusiastically for more! And he did not disappoint. A few minutes later the Orchestra (Who had left the stage after the 'After Hours' songs) came back on, followed by the band and a few seconds later by Glenn . He sang both 'Take It To The Limit' which was made all the more amazing by the richness of sound provided by the orchestra. Soda really enjoyed it too and I know it was her favourite Eagles song. Glenn does the vocals so well on it! He followed it up with Desperado, which I was delighted to hear, as believe it or not I have never heard him sing it love before (The Dublin DVD doesn't count!). And of course, I loved it! I'm not sure whether he did it before or after Desperado, but Glenn again acknowledged the contribution made by the Orchestra.

Once again I was slightly worried he would only do the one encore, but no! A few minutes later I was relieved to see the band taking their places. Glenn came back out and I think it was at this time that he said thanks to quite a few named friends who were in the audience, and he also mentioned Cindy. If I've gotten the sequence wrong here Soda or FP please correct me. Ar that stage I was so high Kryptonite could't bring me down! He then explained about how he wanted the Eagles to record the DVD that he had mentioned in Niagara, and that he wanted the 'following song' to be on it. That was of course 'On the Way Home'

And of course there was only one song to go after that.

He started by saying that 40 years ago 'Take It Easy' came out on the airwaves and that it started him on the craziest 40 years of his life. And that he was so grateful for the people he had been able to meet and work with. He quoted his friend Don (Henley) that careers aren't long any more so and he has had a career that has been that long. He then said if Jackson Browne hadn't broken down in Sidona Arizona, or had to live with him in Echo Park this song would not have happened. So he was leaving us with this song about self reliance and to take care of yourself first. It was still their message. This part was often interrupted by cheering and calling out to Glenn . Of course he finished with a rousing TIE. Towards the end I held out my banner and Soda says he definitely read it.

For me the whole experience was fantastic from start to finish, and I would regard it as being one of the best concerts I have ever attended. Actually correct that. THE best concert I have ever attended. As I texted home in the wee hours LA time (and breakfast time in Ireland 'Concert was magnificent. Out of this world'. And I meant every word of it.

Glenn Frey. Thank you soooo much

And the review wouldn't be complete without saying that afterwards we went for dinner in Dan Tanas. Once again it was like being in a dream, actually eating in the restaurant where one of my favourite Eagles songs was written. I had a lovely plate of garlic chicken with spaghetti on the side, but the waiter was rather surprised or perplexed that all I wanted on the spaghetti was parmesan cheese! I wore my new Glenn Frey 'After Hours' T-shirt over my dress. It may not have looked very fashionable...... but boy it felt sooooo good!

I'm finally going to finish with two trivial facts if you'll indulge me!

Today is now 11 June! This night 6 years ago I went to see the Eagles in concert in Dublin as part of the Farewell 1 Tour. A certain Mr Frey came out with the band and started to sing 'Take it Easy'..... and the rest is history!

Take it Easy is the first song I ever saw Glenn perform live, that night in Dublin..... and is also the last song I have seen him perform live 2 weeks ago in LA!

I hope I'll be back some day!
    Last edited by Glennsallnighter; 05-26-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Perfect, GA. Thank you. That is actually the first time you have posted the white (Deusenberg, I think) guitar shot.

It is! I think it was just by accident that I hadn't done it previously. But its in as good a place there! Glad you liked the review. It brought back so many memories!
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks ladies for your heartfelt reviews of this show. I wish I could have been there with you all, but, like you, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to go to the shows that I went to. We fans have to seize the moment whenever Glenn announces solo shows because, sadly, they are few and far between.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Thank you for the great review, GA!

FP, I of course agree with you about additional tour dates. I know that Glenn and his management team are the experts on what works, but it seems that he'd built up some good momentum on the touring, then stopped. At one point I thought maybe he was easing off, letting Joe have the spotlight since his CD is just out and then it occurred to me that Joe released his CD and took the month off. I realize some of that time is for personal appearances and interviews, but that's a head-scratcher as well. I would guess that Glenn needs the time off, South Africa, some Eagles dates here, all the interviews and TV appearances and the touring with little to no break in between. Still, if he were doing something in the next 6 to 8 weeks, we'd have heard about it by now, right?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

GA, thank you for your detailed Review! It was enjoyable to read them!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Thanks ladies for your heartfelt reviews of this show. I wish I could have been there with you all, but, like you, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to go to the shows that I went to. We fans have to seize the moment whenever Glenn announces solo shows because, sadly, they are few and far between.
    Thanks Koala, VA FP and Dreamer. You are of course right Dreamer. Glenn s shows arent frequent at all. Still I suppose if a year ago we had even known any of this we wouldn't have believed it at all. I am very encouraged by Glenn :hearts: obvious desire to continue putting out music and taking on at least some shows. It's a given that he doesn't need to. And I think he has really enjoyed the making of 'After Hours' ('I feel empowered') and the subsequent tour. He was really in his element. Maybe now be just wants things to settle for a while before he makes new plans.

It also gives us non US residents time to save up for the next round of gigs!

And I do believe I remember him making some kind of comment about promoting 'After Hours' in the UK. So who knows what he is planning.......

The album is released here in 2 weeks from today.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

GA, I hesitate to ask what 'angles' the woman was using with the camera. At other venues, especially in NJ, there were a lot of people coming to the front to take close up shots. He did give them a few looks that I interpreted to mean he wasn't pleased, but I can honestly say it never occurred to me that perhaps he wasn't pleased with me taking pics from my seat, either. Especially when I had the front row for the Eagles in Atlanta. Hmm.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.